HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I was wondering if any knew the history of Hwy 1A through downtown Calgary? I recall seeing on some older maps that Hwy 1A used to follow 16 Ave NW east from Crowchild Trail, go south on 14 St NW, east of 9 Ave S (west on 6 Ave S), and connect with 17 Ave SE which was also Hwy 1A. Right now, the only remnant is an AB 1A shield on EB 14 Ave NW approaching the 14 St NW interchange near SAIT.

Does anyone know when that section would have been decommissioned?
Off the top of my head, I think that a 1A route through downtown would have been abandoned as a highway in the late 1950s, when the Trans-Canada was built along 16th ave.

The map below is from 1926, and shows in red the route you are describing. It used 10th street rather than 14th street north of the river, as the 14th street bridge wasn't built until the mid-1950s.

EDIT: It's entirely possible, probable even, that the 1A remained in use on central roads long after the 1 opened to serve as an alternative... I might look into that.

Last edited by 5seconds; Feb 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:13 AM

I think it was in the early 90's, but not positive.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Off the top of my head, I think that a 1A route through downtown would have been abandoned as a highway in the late 1950s, when the Trans-Canada was built along 16th ave.

The map below is from 1926, and shows in red the route you are describing. It used 10th street rather than 14th street north of the river, as the 14th street bridge wasn't built until the mid-1950s.

EDIT: It's entirely possible, probable even, that the 1A remained in use on central roads long after the 1 opened to serve as an alternative... I might look into that.
Thanks! The sign I was referring to is at https://goo.gl/maps/HpUdCuF9zEx.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Thanks! The sign I was referring to is at https://goo.gl/maps/HpUdCuF9zEx.
Yep. Other signs in the area you can tell were repainted to remove the 1A shield (for instance https://goo.gl/maps/RJM2KXKaATq) so I'd guess that one simply was overlooked.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:35 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, the 1A designation would have been CREATED in the late 1950s with the coming of the new No.1, NOT removed. I don't know what I was thinking. Ignore my post.

Also, the most recent I have found is a map from 1975 that clearly shows the downtown portions as 1A.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:07 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Highway 22 from Highway 8 to Longview

Another driving video from me. Driving on Alberta Highway 22 (The Cowboy Trail) from the roundabout at Highway 8 through Redwood Meadows, Bragg Creek, Priddis, Turner Valley, Black Diamond and finally to Longview.

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure