HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 12:30 PM
arf

For some reason the trio of towers together aren't doing much for me. I love JM. I love SWFC. I even love the current version of the renderings for SC, but together they aren't doing much for me. It's one of those contextual misses for me even though I like the building itself. Maybe it's the scale, maybe it's the viewpoint the skyline context renderings are from.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I just realized what building is outside the windows in the lower right image, and therefore what floor that is. Damn those sky atriums are cool.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 12:17 AM

^ indeed. how the hell do they heat and cool those amazing spaces?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 1:35 PM
Information Age

I wonder how this building actually will turn out in reality.
The night light looks nice IMO.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:18 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Anything is possible in Shanghai and Asia right now.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:22 PM
Round Head

The detail of the tower looks amazing. Great addition.

God, it makes Jin Mao Tower look like a stump. crazy.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
^ indeed. how the hell do they heat and cool those amazing spaces?
Interesting question.
Probably double-skin glass specially treated to block the infra-red.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:45 AM

This tower has the potential to be one of the best in the world. Simply incredible.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:26 PM

so this is not the building that is underconstruction nearby SWFC?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
For some reason the trio of towers together aren't doing much for me.
Agreed, alone they're great, together they don't mix. That's the problem with skylines that are full of signature towers- each tower is trying to stand out. A great skyline, in my opinion, needs a lot of bland generic skyscrapers as a filler to make the great ones that much better.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 12:07 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
For some reason the trio of towers together aren't doing much for me. I love JM. I love SWFC. I even love the current version of the renderings for SC, but together they aren't doing much for me. It's one of those contextual misses for me even though I like the building itself. Maybe it's the scale, maybe it's the viewpoint the skyline context renderings are from.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this sentiment. One of the things I love about this future trio (and current duo) is that each of the three buildings has its own unique style. Each building in the trio is completely unique and can stand on its own merits. And I believe that when Shanghai Centre is complete, the three buildings will stand out each in their own way.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
This one is my favorite as well...I love it. I just think it is waaaay too tall. Once you get upwards of 1800ft, things start to look flat out silly-tall. If they can shrink this thing by a SOLID 500 feet, it will look realistic.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
This one is my favorite as well...I love it. I just think it is waaaay too tall. Once you get upwards of 1800ft, things start to look flat out silly-tall. If they can shrink this thing by a solid 700 feet, it won't look too ridiculous. The Burj Dubai is just flat-out goofy-looking at 2,700whateveritsirrelevantathatheight.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 8:38 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The Burj Dubai looks good. The design fits it's height and everything. I also don't think that the Burj should go in an area where buildings are similar in height because after all it is the centerpiece of the Dubai skyscraper.

I think 1,800 seems like a good height for this building. The SWFC is 1,600+ and it looks great. A building 1,800 ft+ seems very realistic. It would make the area better looking imo. The Gensler design is great. I wish the roof was over 2,000 feet tall though. And if it wasn't for the cheating Pentononiumnimanthing then the three tallest buildings in the world would be the Burj Dubai, Shanghai Center and the Russia Tower which make a great trio.

Last edited by Aleks; Jul 17, 2008 at 8:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this sentiment. One of the things I love about this future trio (and current duo) is that each of the three buildings has its own unique style. Each building in the trio is completely unique and can stand on its own merits. And I believe that when Shanghai Centre is complete, the three buildings will stand out each in their own way.
No problems with that sentiment. I love the current duo. When I look at the angle in Bergenser's photo the trio look better together, but then it's not the same form for SC. In the end it's all aesthetics and I think the angle of the rendering just left the composition static (stick space stick space stick) and it seemed a little awkward to me. If I see the new one in bergenser's viewpoint I would probably like it more. Aesthetics is aesthetics and change the angle and the time of day for me and I'm pretty sure it will be stunning.

I certainly can't, in my mind anyway, poke holes at any of the three designs for JM, SWFC, or the new SC. They are all great forms and all very different.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 2:46 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
That's typical of the Chinese media. Why are you surprised? What would surprise me is if the media made it sound like Taiwan WASN'T part of China.

This building looks amazing! Can't wait to see it underway.
No declaration = same country.

These three are going to make one helluva AT&T commercial.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 9:35 AM
low life in a tall place

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_367915.htm
Quote:
Tallest Chinese building features indoor gardens

By Chen Qian | 2008-7-24 | NEWSPAPER EDITION

A PLANNED skyscraper in Pudong that would become the tallest building in China will include nine gardens on different floors, according to Oriental Morning Post.

Construction of the 580-meter-tall Shanghai Center in Lujiazui is expected to begin at the end of this year and finish by 2014. The gardens will be built in the space between the main building and an outer glass curtain wall, United States firm Gensler told the newspaper.

The gardens will be divided into nine vertical sections with a height of more than 10 meters each.

A public park will also be built within the building. Construction will adopt sustainable techniques to reduce energy use and make it environmentally friendly.

According to its architects, the top of the skyscraper will look like either a turned-up dragon tail or an inverted Olympic torch.

Shanghai Center is not to be confused with the Shanghai Center on Nanjing Road W. in Puxi. The Chinese names of the two are different.

With a total construction area of 380,000 square meters, Shanghai Center will have offices, a hotel, stores and entertainment facilities.

The firm told Oriental Morning Post it will try to make the building blend in with the 420-meter-tall Jin Mao Tower and the 492-meter-tall Shanghai World Financial Center nearby.

The Shanghai World Financial Center is now the tallest building in China and it will fully open after the Beijing Olympics, Shanghai Morning Post reported yesterday. Some office sections in the tower are already in use while the hotel and some restaurants will open in September.

However, security checks started early this month, according to the newspaper.

Every taxi and car will be checked before entering the building while people who want to enter the office floors need to pass a metal detector and open their bags for a manual check.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:10 PM

Quote:
The firm told Oriental Morning Post it will try to make the building blend in with the 420-meter-tall Jin Mao Tower and the 492-meter-tall Shanghai World Financial Center nearby.
Isn't it a little humiliating when a 580-m towers blends in with its two smaller neighbors ?
The designers shouldn't do their best to reduce the impact of their creation.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't know, I don't think they want to reduce the impact. Well, yeah actually but it's more to make everything flow and have more harmony. I see what you mean Fabb but it's still nice to have some sort of chemistry between the buildings, even if they aren't the same style or design they can still flow throughly in a triangle.

There's the traditional (Jin Mao), the rising power of China (SWFC) and finally the dragon symbolizing the great power China will be in a decade or so (Shanghai Center).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:28 AM
low life in a tall place

The blending-in thing might have to do with the height ratio of the new tower - it might become as tall compared to the SWFC as the SWFC is compared to Jin Mao (which would be around 580 meters).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive