HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I live in Beaver County, PA. The median home price right now is $74,250. So I would say making about $25,000 a year should do it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Well jump on that you young buck. Chicago is one of the top cities for male singles. Look it up if you do not believe me. There are almost 2 to 1 more females in their tender years than males around these parts.

If you cannot get laid in Chicago than you cannot make it anywhere...

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing about your move...

Keep the Chicago fourmers updated about you escapades.

Thanks in advance.

bnk
I have a couple more years in H-town, but Chicago is definitely looking like my next city. I just finished my Masters here in Texas, and I'm working out a deal to do my Doctorate at Rice. Once that program's done, I'll probably be heading out of Houston.

And btw, great to hear about Chicago's overabundance of women, but that's not my team. Though I'm sure there's plenty of hot guys up there too.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 12:22 AM
Repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Most likely because they want to make a profit and people will pay anything in airports and convinience stores if thirsty enough..

( btw the return system adds 1,5 DKK to the price that you get back if you return the bottle )

My post was btw about people residing and working here.. if on a NA wage Danish cost of life will in many cases probable seem high.. however the point still stands that not that much is needed to live "confortable" here..
I know, I was giving you a hard time. Wages in the Scandinavian countries tend to be fairly high, from what I've noticed. My buddy, an entry-level chef in Sweden, makes enough to buy a good flat in Gothenburg. In the US he'd be lucky to get by with roommates (not to mention the massive debt he would have from culinary school).

And yeah, airports are a rip-off wherever you go. I was just too lazy to go into the city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:49 AM

It depends of what one would call confortable.
In my opinion 60 grand a year would provide a decent living...confortable..well in this case triple digits would be necessary.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
I have a couple more years in H-town, but Chicago is definitely looking like my next city. I just finished my Masters here in Texas, and I'm working out a deal to do my Doctorate at Rice. Once that program's done, I'll probably be heading out of Houston.

And btw, great to hear about Chicago's overabundance of women, but that's not my team. Though I'm sure there's plenty of hot guys up there too.

Chicago has an awesome gay scene and a special gay pride parade and is celebrated by most all people of all orientations, esp. the local and state politicians. There is a battle between the Twin Cities as to which city is the gay capital of the Midwest. Since I root for the other team I am lacking total knowable of the local gay community. There are other foumers that can give more details than me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6022615.story

Chicago gay pride parade glows in its growing acceptance
Gay community's parade celebrates its 40th anniversary

By Rex W. Huppke

Tribune reporter

June 29, 2009

Gay pride marched Sunday in Chicago, noisy and joyous. It was the crash of marching band cymbals, the megaphoned whoops of celebration, the sirens, the car horns and the ground-shaking roar of Harleys straddled by leather-clad women unabashed.

It was smiling faces striped in rainbow colors, sweaty brows turned to face a cool summer breeze, women hand-in-hand, men kissing men, children on the shoulders of straight parents, dazzled by the flags and shimmering floats and dancers that filled North Halsted Street.

Pride was remarkable on Sunday, tens of thousands drawn together to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a parade that, when it first happened, was barely a parade at all.

Those in Chicago's first gay pride parade in 1970 were just a bold but loosely organized stream of activists and drag queens who marched the sidewalk along North Halsted Street, shouting and vamping for gay rights.

They did it again the next year and the next. People driving past would gape, a few might cheer from storefronts.

But each year it grew.

Now the parade consumes the street with color and sound. The sidewalk is for spectators, so many that metal barricades are linked together to keep them at bay.

Often lost in the carnival atmosphere is the reason those first women and men stepped out of the closet when it was dangerous to admit you were anything but straight.

The first gay pride parades -- here and across the country -- came the year after the Stonewall riots of 1969, when gays and lesbians stood up to New York City police outside a Greenwich Village bar, birthing the gay rights movement.

Sunday's parade displayed the cumulative impact of that movement. The traditionally flamboyant floats of bare-chested men and near-bare-chested women were flanked by floats carrying straight politicians and gay and lesbian police officers, church groups and, for the first time, a coalition of parents -- gay, straight and lesbian -- from a Chicago public school.

The parade now pulls the curtain back on Chicago's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community and shows its diversity: Republicans and Democrats; Christians and atheists; buttoned-down businesspeople and outlandish artists.

David Sinski gazed down at the river of humanity on North Halsted Street from the third-floor balcony of the Center on Halsted, a GLBT community center, the very idea of which was once impossible to imagine.

"Twenty years ago, this was a very solitary event," said Sinski, 46. "You'd come along with like-minded people. But now there are so many straight people, politicians, corporations, youth groups. Now there are so many things that just aren't questioned. It's much more of a celebration."

Nettelhorst Elementary School parents marched near the front of the parade, leaving behind a wave of bubbles. One kid-filled wagon was topped with a sign that read: "School is out and so are my dads."

Veterans marched, some in full uniform.

There were straight parents with gay kids and gay parents with straight kids and an undeniable sense that, at least in this swath of Chicago on this day, people could be wholly themselves.

Cynthia Lafuente, embraced by a girlfriend from Texas, felt that way: "We can just be free. No worries, no judgments."

Nikki Carlton came out when she was 16. She's now 52 and drove in from Glen Ellyn not so much to see the floats and dancers but to immerse herself in the spirit of the parade: "This shows there's growing acceptance. I think, over the years, this has widened people's eyes about us. They see us as people, as not threatening. They come here and realize we won't turn them gay."

Over three hours, nearly 240 entrants followed the parade route, cheered on by crowds that clogged sidewalks and jammed the balconies of apartments above. At times multicolored confetti rained down and colorful beads were tossed about and balloons drifted off.

Pride was noisy and joyous on Sunday, messy and unpredictable, colorful and exhausting, 40 years old and going strong.

Here is a map of the gay neighborhoods. The gays really have a great location close to the Lake.

[North Halsted, Broadway [Boys town] and Andersonville [for the lesbians]

areas and really great housing stock and retail establishments in a prime part of the City.

2008 Pride Parade photos.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...6.photogallery

The latest average Attendance is around 400,000 to 450,000 thousand people. I do not know the political acceptance of Texas politicians of the gay groups in Texas but politicians in Chicago and major State politicians from both parties fall over themselves to be included in this special celebration. [Including the Governor of Illinois and of course Mayor Daley.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pride_Parade

The Chicago Pride Parade, also colloquially (and formerly) called the Chicago Gay Pride Parade, is the annual gay pride parade held on the last Sunday of June in Chicago, Illinois in the United States. It is considered the culmination of the larger Gay Pride Month, as promulgated by the Chicago City Council and Mayor of Chicago.

Today the parade takes place through the main streets of Lake View East, a neighborhood enclave of the Lakeview community area. Recent parades have started at noon on Halsted Street, proceeding north from Belmont Avenue, passing the Center on Halsted at Waveland Avenue; south on Broadway (at Grace Street) to Diversey Parkway and east on Diversey Parkway to Cannon Drive.

With the increasing political participation of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans and the community's relatively high financial resources through political action groups and as individual donors, Illinois politicians have increased their presence at the Chicago Pride Parade. Both the Illinois Democratic and Republican parties have been heavily represented, most noticeably by former Governor Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat, and former Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, a Republican. Both had strong support from many gay and lesbian voters.

The 2008 parade was the 39th annual parade. The 2005 parade included 250 entries and was attended by over 400,000 spectators. Among the entries were several marching bands, dance troupes, twirlers, and many political figures.

http://www.chicagopride.com/news/art...icleid/7619536

Chicago comes out for 40th annual Pride Parade

By Jay Shaff

An estimated half a million attended Pride Parade

Chicago, IL - The 40th Annual Chicago Gay Pride Parade kicked off at noon today with what is estimated to be the largest crowd
ever for the event reaching 500,000 according to Chicago Police sources. An official count has yet to be released by the Mayor's
Office of Special Events.

On this near weather perfect day of sun and comfortable temperatures, the streets were packed with onlookers and vocal pride
enthusiasts.

Leading the parade was Grand Marshall Alexandra Billings. "This is a great day for solidarity and a fabulous day for sequins."

Also in the lead of the parade was the local Nettelhorst Elementary School group of children and parents, a first time participant
hoping to demonstrate support for the nearby gay community. Governor Pat Quinn (D-IL) marched in the celebration.
Newly elected Fifth District Congressman Mike Quigley (D-IL) today celebrated his 27th Chicago Gay Pride Parade and said "it's a
beautiful day and a beautiful time for equality".

State Representative Sara Feigenholtz (D-12th District) exclaimed "it's my favorite day of the year!!" She was joined by first time
parade attendee State Representative Susana Mendoza (D-1st District). Greg Harris (D), 13th District Representative in the
Illinois Legislature and a strong same sex marriage legalization advocate said he wished some of his downstate colleagues would
be as supportive of the community and its goals as Chicagoans.

Today's parade commemorated the Stonewall rebellion of 40 years ago as scores of floats, dancers, marchers, drill teams and
other entrants took more than 2 1/2 hours to cross the starting line at Belmont and Halsted.

A significant and very well organized police presence lead by 23rd District Commander Kathy Boehmer appeared to mingle well
with the crowds and no major problems were observed.

Fire Department paramedics dealt with heat related issues, but demand
for their services was limited due to the cooperative weather and a strong cooling lake breeze.

Halsted merchants were thrilled with the great turnout and the wonderful weather.

Other major cities such as New York City, San Francisco and Toronto also held their parade today.
ABC-7 Chicago (www.abc7chicago.com) will broadcast the parade tonight at 11:35 p.m.

June 25th, 1989: (20th) Grand Marshal: Mayor Daley (first sitting Chicago Mayor to lead the Chicago parade) Attendance: [his first year in office. Daley can control most all groups including hispanics and african american suprisingly [he actually won the black voting block in the last ellection by a slight margin.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_M._Daley

Richard Michael Daley (born April 24, 1942) is a United States politician, member of the national and local Democratic Party and current Mayor of Chicago, Illinois.

He was elected mayor in 1989 and reelected in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003, and 2007. His 2007 re-election put him in position to become the longest-serving mayor in the Chicago's history, a record currently held by his father, the late Richard J. Daley, should he remain in office beyond December 25, 2010.

Daley was chosen by Time in its April 25, 2005 issue as the best out of five mayors of large cities in the United States, and characterized as having "imperial" style and power,[ he has presided over such successes as the resurgence in tourism, the modernization of the Chicago Transit Authority, the building of Millennium Park, increased environmental efforts and the rapid development of the city's North Side, as well as the near South and West sides.

He took over 70% of the mayoral vote in 1999, 2003, and 2007, without significant opposition.

Recently, he has been in the public eye for playing a significant role in forwarding Chicago as the U.S. bid city for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Prior to serving as mayor, Daley served in the Illinois Senate and then as the Cook County State's Attorney. He also served as the 11th Ward Democratic committeeman after his father died, until he passed the role on to his brother John P. Daley.

Biography

Richard Daley is the fourth of seven children and eldest son of Richard J. Daley and Eleanor Daley, former Mayor and First Lady of Chicago, respectively. Originally from Bridgeport, a historically Irish-American neighborhood located southwest of the Chicago Loop, Daley graduated from De La Salle Institute and obtained his bachelor's degree and Juris Doctor from DePaul University. Prior to earning his law degree, Daley served in the Marine Reserves.

Mayor Daley is married to Margaret Daley. They have four children: Nora, Patrick, Elizabeth and Kevin. Daley's second son, Kevin, was thirty-three months old when he died of complications of spina bifida in 1981.

Mayor Daley is brother to William M. Daley, former United States Secretary of Commerce under President Bill Clinton, and John P. Daley, a commissioner on the Cook County Board of Commissioners on which he serves as the finance chairman.

Daley grew up as, and is to this day, a fan of the Chicago White Sox.

Political beginnings

Daley was elected to his first public office as delegate to the 1969 Illinois Constitutional Convention. On the strength of his father's political machine, Daley next ran for and won a seat in the Illinois Senate, serving from 1972 to 1980. He left Springfield to become Cook County State's Attorney, serving from 1980 to 1989. Daley's tenure as county prosecutor was interrupted in 1983 with his first mayoral campaign, losing in the three-way primary to Congressman Harold Washington. Incumbent Jane Byrne, a former protege of Daley's father, was also defeated.

Four years later, on November 25, 1987, Washington died in office of a heart attack. The Chicago City Council appointed an interim mayor, David Orr, who served from the day of Washington's death to December 2, 1987, when the City Council appointed Eugene Sawyer mayor until a special election for the remaining two years of the term could be held in 1989.

As a result, Sawyer faced voters for the first time, and Daley challenged him in the primary. After defeating Sawyer handily, Daley moved on to the April 4, 1989 general election against Aldermen Timothy C. Evans and Edward Vrdolyak, a former Democrat who had antagonized Washington on the city council while Washington served as mayor. After winning the general election, Daley took office as Mayor of Chicago on April 24, 1989, his 47th birthday. As of April 24, 2009 he has served as mayor for 20 years.

Political positions

On most political issues, Daley can be characterized as a liberal Democrat.

He opposed the war in Iraq, remains broadly in favor of increased spending on social services, and has strongly endorsed both same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

At the same time, he is strongly supported by Chicago's business community, in part because of his willingness to use city government to make Chicago more hospitable to businesses and for general improvements to the city's livability and cleanliness.

Daley is a strong supporter of gun control, supporting Chicago's stringent law on handguns that was implemented in 1982.[3] He is the CEO of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition,an organization formed in 2006 and co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

Last edited by bnk; Jun 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions