HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
MARTA had its 'closeup' 21 years ago this Summer during the Olympics, when their trains routinely transported 1 million + daily with the same rail footprint we have now.

They're up for it. Anyone familiar with the system can attest that it is built for much more capacity than it currently serves - it has fantastic bones.

I totally agree that MARTA has the capacity to handle much more capacity that it currently serves. Even before the Olympics in the early 80s, MARTA handle much more and the rail didn't extend nearly as much as now.

Also in general, the cooperation and attitude by the various government agencies have improved. There is much more cooperation between bus transit agencies in Cobb, Gwinnett, and the state of Georgia with MARTA - like all using a single pay system, Breeze card and being able to transfer between systems for free. Also the state of Georgia for first time last year designated funds to MARTA in the form of a grant. Also, Clayton County has joined MARTA and currently have buses and eventually rail which would extend a new commuter line from East Point station southward toward Lovejoy via Hapeville and the airport international terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson.

I also feel that in general the public's attitude toward MARTA has improved particularly from the late 80s and early 90s. The city of Atlanta passed a referendum to expand service in the city. I also believe that Gwinnett has much more favorable view of MARTA than 20 years and if allowed by local politicians would probably join MARTA especially since the I-85 bridge collapse.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 11:40 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Hopefully, the unfortunate problem on I-85 will force people in the region to truly examine the benefits of MARTA... especially the benefits (bus, BRT, light rail, and heavy rail) of expanding service the outer suburbs.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:49 AM
Fourth and Main

The state is saying I-85 will be repaired in 10 weeks.

Right now, MARTA is saying their parking decks are full. Ridership is up 50% and parking is a major issue.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:35 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Gwinett County rejected a penny sales tax to join MARTA at its inception. They didn't even have bus services previously. Since that time, the County has funded a small bus service out of its general funds, without a dedicated local funding source. It spends around $10 Million every year on Gwinett County Transit.
Yes. Demographics have sure changed a lot since then. This is the article I was referencing:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...icians/431922/

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:12 PM

MARTA ridership is up across most stations, including a 66% increase in ridership at one station near the bridge collapse.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation