HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
In Calgary they are under a different class/maybe different collective agreement.
u talking about the drivers?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
u talking about the drivers?
Yeah, since only the labour costs are much different (accessible small buses cost a lot!)

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
allways wonderd why we dont have those in our fleet they work well and cheaper i would think to run and buy?
Winnipeg used to have a fleet that looked very similar the Calgary Transit one shown. Believe it or not people were not happy with them.

I was thinking something like this might get fewer objections for citizens if it was running on their streets. Yes the seating configuration shown there isn't the most ideal but it is similar to the airport style shuttles seen in other cities. Some communities even have similar medical shuttles running around Winnipeg already.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Winnipeg used to have a fleet that looked very similar the Calgary Transit one shown. Believe it or not people were not happy with them.

I was thinking something like this might get fewer objections for citizens if it was running on their streets. Yes the seating configuration shown there isn't the most ideal but it is similar to the airport style shuttles seen in other cities. Some communities even have similar medical shuttles running around Winnipeg already.
Was it customer dissatisfaction, or capacity? The 91/101 when first introduced was supposed to switch to DART service at 7pm. Because of a combination of how spread out the service area is and the number of people on the route, they had to end up pushing it back to 11pm start.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:34 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The 16 Osborne Plaza Drive route can surely be eliminated.

If someone wants to travel to/from the housing in the River Road area, just use the 76 St. Vital/Fort Garry feeder.

If someone wants to get from St. Vital Centre area take the 51 feeder bus instead.

This would free up some bus resources.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:40 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
allways wonderd why we dont have those in our fleet they work well and cheaper i would think to run and buy?
WT tried these in 1993 period. I remember they had Ford engines and cabs in them.

WT got rid of 'em because there were issues with turning or something stupid like that.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
WT tried these in 1993 period. I remember they had Ford engines and cabs in them.

WT got rid of 'em because there were issues with turning or something stupid like that.
The Elf buses were horrible, front wheel drive buses. When the roads were slippery the front ends were all over the place and they couldn't make it up a Winnipeg hill. And yes, turning radii were terrible. They were used for the first DART services and had trouble with residential corners. Not sure what happened to them after the 1999 PanAm Games. They had been converted to EMS use for the games and we were happy to see them gone.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:17 PM

The issues on the previous DART service were more based around the choice of vehicle used at the time rather than other aspects of the service. With newer technology to help on the service side like what Uber is using and changes in the vehicle market such as the high-roof European style shuttle vans I think it is time to give some serious consideration to at least reviewing if it is time to bring a service like that back.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:46 PM

Pembina Hw Northbound & Southbound
Stafford St to Jubilee Av WB to Pembina Hw SB
Expected Duration: 19 May 2017 08:00 PM - 23 May 2017 04:00 AM
Northbound and southbound Pembina Highway through the Pembina underpass will be completely closed to vehicular traffic from 8:00 p.m., Friday, May 19 until 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 23 for construction for the Southwest Rapid Transitway (Stage 2) Jubilee underpass structure.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/t...sPrintable.stm

Full closure of Pembina all weekend for Rapid Transit bridge work. Demolition of the retaining walls just north of the existing CN bridge. I'm surprised there hasn't really been any communication to the public about this yet. Although there are message boards at the site with the dates/times.

Apparently bus service will be maintained with one lane only.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
Pembina Hw Northbound & Southbound
Stafford St to Jubilee Av WB to Pembina Hw SB
Expected Duration: 19 May 2017 08:00 PM - 23 May 2017 04:00 AM
Northbound and southbound Pembina Highway through the Pembina underpass will be completely closed to vehicular traffic from 8:00 p.m., Friday, May 19 until 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 23 for construction for the Southwest Rapid Transitway (Stage 2) Jubilee underpass structure.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/t...sPrintable.stm

Full closure of Pembina all weekend for Rapid Transit bridge work. Demolition of the retaining walls just north of the existing CN bridge. I'm surprised there hasn't really been any communication to the public about this yet. Although there are message boards at the site with the dates/times.

Apparently bus service will be maintained with one lane only.
Its all over social media. I would assume local radio too (I only listened to 1290 today and didnt hear it).

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:01 PM

It was formally posted yesterday by the city. Buses and pedestrians will be allowed through during the closure.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:00 AM

Would love to see a unified Winnipeg Transit brand sometime in the near future. It drives me insane that they've spent so much money upgrading shelters and signage the last little while, with the blue and silver theme, yet minor stops still have the orange logo, and our buses are for some unfathomable reason actually branded in the city's colours instead of WT's.

Now I don't think we should go change out all the orange T signs at once, but as they need to be replaced it makes sense to update them. And our buses have got to be the most hideous design I've seen in any country I've been. It may seem like a minor thing, but it really can help with perception of WT and buses here. It's also more clear for tourists that it's actually all the same service.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:19 AM

I am all for orange buses. Someone posted this a while ago:

skyscraperpage.com/flickrhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8716/...cefc5850_c.jpg

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 12:51 PM
Ignore these four words.

^I like it.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:54 PM

I think they should be blue and silver now that those are transit's main colours.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 4:26 PM

If we go way back express buses used to run red or green numbers. When you are at a stop and could see a bus far off you could often pickup that colour and know if it could be the right bus or not. I know it wasn't perfect for a number of issues but it was that little touch on the user side.

Along those same lines a modern orange colour scheme on the buses would give them a little pop and help them stand out as a Winnipeg Transit bus instead of something else generic.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Would love to see a unified Winnipeg Transit brand sometime in the near future. It drives me insane that they've spent so much money upgrading shelters and signage the last little while, with the blue and silver theme, yet minor stops still have the orange logo, and our buses are for some unfathomable reason actually branded in the city's colours instead of WT's.

Now I don't think we should go change out all the orange T signs at once, but as they need to be replaced it makes sense to update them. And our buses have got to be the most hideous design I've seen in any country I've been. It may seem like a minor thing, but it really can help with perception of WT and buses here. It's also more clear for tourists that it's actually all the same service.
I think WT's colours basically ARE the City's colours now... there isn't much if any orange left in the transit world, other than on minor bus stop signs.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:26 PM

anyone got pics of the work that was done that closed off the Pembina underpass?

if its not all that noticeable then i guess there's no need

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:41 PM

There was supposed to be some retaining wall demo. Probably wont notice much else.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was supposed to be some retaining wall demo. Probably wont notice much else.
That happened, at least on the east side. There are wooden ramps to the sidewalk now on both ends.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan