HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

The floodgates have been opened. My only concern is that the City underestimated the demand for new product there. At least Silverstein is considering reverting his project back to office.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The floodgates have been opened. My only concern is that the City underestimated the demand for new product there. At least Silverstein is considering reverting his project back to office.
You mean that now dormant 1,100 ft residential tower one? Can you link to any info on that?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
You mean that now dormant 1,100 ft residential tower one? Can you link to any info on that?
In the thread...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=299

https://therealdeal.com/2017/04/05/h...-hudson-yards/

HNA backs Tishman Speyer’s bets in Brooklyn, Hudson Yards
Chinese conglomerate behind purchase of 245 Park has been on NYC real estate shopping spree

By Katherine Clarke
April 05, 2017

Quote:
HNA Property Group, the Chinese conglomerate behind the $2.2 billion deal for 245 Park Avenue, is backing Tishman Speyer’s Hudson Yards megatower and its creative office redevelopment plans in Brooklyn, the developer said Wednesday.

HNA, headed by Chen Feng, is a partner on the development of the Wheeler, a 10-story creative office project rising above Macy’s department store in Downtown Brooklyn, as well as on the 2.85-million-square-foot, Bjarke Ingels-designed tower known as the Spiral in the Hudson Yards area.

.....In September, the firm filed plans for a 65-story, 1,005-foot office skyscraper at 66 Hudson Boulevard that’s slated to cost $3.2 billion, one of the most expensive office projects in history. Tishman Speyer spent $438 million acquiring the parcels along West 34th Street in 2014.

HNA has been on a New York shopping spree in recent months. The company, which began in 1989 as a private airline in Hainan, is in contract to pay $2.21 billion the buy the Park Avenue building from Brookfield Property Partners and the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System. It also owns stakes in 850 Third Avenue, the Cassa Hotel at 70 West 45th Street and 1180 Sixth Avenue. The company is exploring a sale of 1180 Sixth, however.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Radii Inc

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Massive.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah, i will certainly give it that -- 850k sqft i believe.

and i don't think its ugly at all, just rather dull. maybe the materials will be of a quality to improve its looks, we will see.

i really don't see how the old midtown office bldgs are going to compete with these westside office towers (and the wtc and the new boutique office bldgs). do they tear down and rebuild? major renos? rewire? rebuild the floor plates (is that even possible)? at least there will be plenty of bargains around there when everybody jumps ship to the new westside and elsewhere.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

and i don't think its ugly at all, just rather dull. maybe the materials will be of a quality to improve its looks, we will see.

i really don't see how the old midtown office bldgs are going to compete with these westside office towers (and the wtc and the new boutique office bldgs). do they tear down and rebuild? major renos? rewire? rebuild the floor plates (is that even possible)? at least there will be plenty of bargains around there when everybody jumps ship to the new westside and elsewhere.
Existing buildings can't really compete. For Midtown to stay competitive, they'll need to be more new towers (like One Vanderbilt) and more gut renovations (like 425 Park Avenue and 380 Madison Avenue). At 425 Park and 380 Madison, they actually knocked down much of the buildings, rebuilding them taller, and also made the first however many floors double height by taking out every other floor.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:27 AM

Both 50 HY and The Spiral have huge lots.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:

Somebody's trash is another's treasure.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Both 50 HY and The Spiral have huge lots.
Yes indeed. I keep saying it, but it's true. These towers are massive. And that's the way the City drew it up. Massive towers with the massive floorplates. You won't get it like this with the Midtown East rezoning. But the eastside is already built up, with smaller lots. Even with demo, large lots would be hard to come by.

More looks at that model...

http://www.radiiinc.com/66-hudson-new-york-ny-116-1/

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:55 AM

I think it's great.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

A rough look at the massiveness of this tower...

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like it, too.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:53 PM

Gorgeous model. I really like the landscape design at grade as well.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maximum usage of space. With all of the demand, every sq ft matters. This, 1 and 2 MW, Vanderbilt... just a slew of new towers that are catering to the size requirements of their clients. Class A space, large floor plates, high ceilings, and so on.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Gorgeous model. I really like the landscape design at grade as well.
That's the new Hudson Blvd & Park, part of which is already in place. You can see it in the photo below...

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:08 PM
New Yorker for life

MAY 27, 2017

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's the new Hudson Blvd & Park, part of which is already in place. You can see it in the photo below...

does anybody know -- is there anything in the pipeline for those two large storage/parking lots just south of the western section of the railyards and the highline?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
does anybody know -- is there anything in the pipeline for those two large storage/parking lots just south of the western section of the railyards and the highline?
Current plan.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214217

There was a proposal for the one furthest south a few years ago. That went nowhere.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:25 PM

this one looks great in the renders and architectural models, but gut tells me it won't look as classy IRL. Fingers crossed they prove me wrong!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive