HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
ah, so it's currently under construction, right?
There is no construction going on at 28th and Burnside. The old building has been demolished but nothing else has been done. I assume that will change relatively soon, though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:27 PM

I agree with Mark. Holst's projects are beginning to all look the same. They're nice, but very similar.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 11:03 PM
Well designed mixed use

I disagree. Belmont and Thurman are similar, but this is totally different. It has a wood exterior, but the assymetrical windows and balconies are unlike anything in Portland. I find Ankrom and GBD to be far more homogenous with design.

I would much rather have Holst's style all over the city than the aforementioned and nearly any other firm in town.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 11:57 PM
No Comprende

Hi Im new to diz forum does anyone know whats is going on around NE killingsworth st. between 60th and cully does anyone have any renderings of the housing projects and and yeahh....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 8:44 PM

there was a rendering of this one in the Oregonian's In-Portland section.

Looking to the past for apartment design
Thursday, August 23, 2007
By Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

As architect Kurt Schultz studied Northwest Portland for design ideas for a new apartment building, his eyes kept landing on buildings dating to the teens and 1920s.

Campbell Court. St. Francis. Biltmore. Alexandra Court. Trinity Place.

He liked the tug and pull of bay windows and balconies. He liked the bracketed cornices and the bricks and stucco. Most of all, perhaps, he liked the recessed-entry courtyards, usually landscaped with comforting greenery.

"What's exciting to us is it's a building type you don't see much in Portland today," says Schultz, a principal with Portland's SERA Architects. "It's great for pedestrians, and it's great for the street. It's also great for residents who live there. There's a sense of calm and peace as you go in the main entry."

Many of the ideas have surfaced in preliminary plans for the Couch Park Apartments, which would look west from a half-block site on Northwest 19th Avenue between Glisan and Hoyt streets. Opus Northwest, a major real estate developer, hopes to build a six-story building with about 96 market-rate units, ground-floor retail spaces and one level of basement parking.

But it's sensitive turf. The site faces Couch Park and sits kitty-corner from Temple Beth Israel, the domed synagogue Schultz calls "probably the finest piece of architecture in the city."

It also sits in Portland's densest neighborhood and in the Alphabet Historic District, where residents scrutinize new projects. In the past couple of years, Northwest residents helped shoot down plans for a new Apple electronics store, stalled a proposed parking garage and narrowly lost a City Council fight over a condo tower.

Schultz started meeting with the Northwest District Association's planning committee before putting pen to paper. After three meetings, "it's not yet quite perfect," says Mark Sieber, a Northwest representative. The committee would like to see a deeper courtyard, now proposed at 50 feet wide and 20 feet deep.

Dr. Anna Karlsson, who lives behind the site of the proposed building, worries that the 65 parking spaces won't be enough. She'd like more parking or fewer units. "Only those of us who live in the neighborhood understand the congestion," she says.

Jessica Richmond, who also lives nearby, thinks the building is too tall and blocky. "This is basically a chunk with a small courtyard," she says. "The building is getting better with time, but there are still basic problems with it."

But if the building does come to pass, it is likely to be at the size proposed. "We need to get the square footage to make the project pencil out," says Brian Bennett, an Opus senior manager.

To get to 94,000 square feet as proposed, Opus must purchase about 35,000 square feet of unused development rights from some nearby historic building. Talks with one historic property failed, but Bennett says Opus has "multiple people who are interested."

Then the apartment design would face scrutiny from the Portland Historic Landmarks Commission and possibly the City Council.

Bennett thinks the building would improve Couch Park safety by putting more eyes on it. He says he wants the building to blend into the neighborhood fabric.

Schultz thinks the key lies in using elements that made models from the teens and '20s successful.

"We want a building that is timeless and enduring," he says, "not a trendy design that says this year only."

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...490.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 8:45 PM

Some are flat unhappy with project's roofline
Thursday, August 23, 2007
By Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

Deadra Hall and her relatives have lived among the pitched-roof homes along North Vancouver Avenue for 50 years. Though the street has had troubles with drugs and crime over the years, it's a street on the rebound.

So Hall wasn't pleased to learn that an adjoining house would be cleared to build a triplex. Worse yet, the proposed building would have a flat roof and storefront-style windows -- nothing like the 1910 houses in the 4000 block on both sides of her street.

"The design really sticks out," Hall said. "It doesn't blend in with existing houses."

Indeed, the city's community design standards for infill housing in older neighborhoods recommend pitched roofs of specified angles. So Hall challenged the design in an appeal before the Portland Design Commission.

As other Portland neighborhoods may soon learn, flat roofs offer advantages. They provide opportunities for eco-roofs that mitigate storm-water runoff and allow more living space below.

Daniel Kaven, who designed the triplex intended for 4054 N. Vancouver Ave., called it "the greenest triplex the city has ever seen. I'm really proud of it." Besides the eco-roof, the triplex will have a swale to collect runoff and allow it to percolate.

Kaven said he took steps to make the building fit in. Floor levels will be at similar heights, and side yards will be larger than required. He's keeping the roofline a few feet below the 35-foot maximum. He also said the flat roof will reflect industrial buildings in the Williams-Vancouver corridor.

Hall and neighbors said a flat roof would be more appropriate on a corner, not in the middle of the block. "We share her concerns about the project not blending into the neighborhood," said Christopher Sahli, a board member with the Boise Neighborhood Association. The association never took a formal vote, however.

"I like my neighborhood," said Bernice Dunn, who lives across the alley from the site. "That's not me. We have a good neighborhood. Can't I have my neighborhood?"

Design commission members ultimately voted 4-to-2 this month to reject Hall's appeal. The two dissenters said they like the project but think the neighborhood association should have been given time to vote.

"To me, it's a good project," said member Michael McCulloch. "It's exemplary of the challenge we face across Portland. I think the designer has done a really good job in trying to transition into the neighborhood."

"I understand how hard it is to open a neighborhood to a new form of architecture," said member Gwen Millius. "It's happening all over the city."

"There is no doubt that it is larger and no doubt that it is not an 1890s Victorian house," said Jeff Stuhr, a third commissioner. "That's how cities become vibrant over time. This is a building that is truly of our time." To Hall and her supporters, he said, "I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised should this building be built."

Looking back, Hall noted that almost all commission members come from the city's development and design communities. It's difficult, she said, for a resident to overcome those professional biases.

And arguments in favor of the flat-roofed triplex gave her little solace. As commissioners cast their votes, she wiped a tear from her cheek.

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...770.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 9:04 PM

Condo defects?

Does anyone know what is going on with the wood exterior on Thurman Street Lofts? Is this normal wear or is the wood finish failing? It does not look good.

On the same note.....what is the current status of the corrections/repairs taking place at Marshall Wells? Is the work that has taken so long to complete on the south side going to be done on the other three sides of the building?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx97209 View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the wood exterior on Thurman Street Lofts? Is this normal wear or is the wood finish failing? It does not look good.

On the same note.....what is the current status of the corrections/repairs taking place at Marshall Wells? Is the work that has taken so long to complete on the south side going to be done on the other three sides of the building?
Re: Thurman St Lofts, you know, I've wondered the same thing... the original renderings showed a light grey exterior with dark brown (wood) highlights. Then it was built - and no grey. I came to the conclusion that the parts that were originally supposed to be grey were meant to end up that way through weathering. But I've never been sure.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 4:05 PM

what about the Cambridge Condos? I haven't seen any work on that site the last few times I've been past, and the project is almost finished.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 3:49 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
"To me, it's a good project," said member Michael McCulloch. "It's exemplary of the challenge we face across Portland. I think the designer has done a really good job in trying to transition into the neighborhood."

"I understand how hard it is to open a neighborhood to a new form of architecture," said member Gwen Millius. "It's happening all over the city."

"There is no doubt that it is larger and no doubt that it is not an 1890s Victorian house," said Jeff Stuhr, a third commissioner. "That's how cities become vibrant over time. This is a building that is truly of our time." To Hall and her supporters, he said, "I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised should this building be built."
There's hope yet!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 8:12 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
what about the Cambridge Condos? I haven't seen any work on that site the last few times I've been past, and the project is almost finished.

I go by there on Westover all the time and there always seems to be guys out there working. The main condo portion is about done and they will start soon on the townhomes.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 5:37 PM

The Cambridge Condo is a disaster. It must be the worst new building in the City.

Work is moving forward although the more they do the worse it looks. There are so many materials and architectural styles on the building it's shocking...fake traditional with fake stone quoins on the street side, cheap metal siding on the sides, cheap window wall systems on the east side....the buildings are very very close together and have windows looking into a blank wall or someone else's window..and now there are monster retaining walls going in along Westover and they are literally 3' from unit windows transforming some of the units from bad to worse...dark, basement like experiences.

The many building materials is consistent with many site materials...poured concrete retaining walls, brick walls and planters, concrete unit block retaining walls designed to look like massive stone although when you see the edge they are about 3' thick and sometimes stacked 30' tall.

I can't believe this got approved and mostly can't believe people are actually paying so much for this junk.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:17 AM

the cambridge condos must be the worst project in the city...and there are some really bad ones.

the character changes every elevation...fake historical stone quoins on westover, dark brown cheap looking metal siding on the north and south elevations, modern window wall systems on the east elevation..crappy design and craftsmanship details everywhere.

now the sitework is in full swing and it goes from bad to worse...many site materials ranging from brick walls, concrete walls, precast concrete walls trying to look like giant stones but they are about 2" thick...and they are building them literally in front of peoples windows...about 3' away from windows of some of the most expensive condo units in the city...i find it hard to believe that people are this stupid...the developer, the architect and the buyers that are falling for this stuff.

i suspect it will get worse before it gets finished.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Recently, by way of Design Advice Review with the city, SERA Architects unveiled preliminary designs for a new six-story apartment project in Northwest Portland just off Couch Park.

Park Apartments, as it's to be called, is a half block site on 19th between Glisan and Hoyt with six stories including retail on the ground floor and underground parking, and roughly 95 market-rate apartments.
--portlandarchitecture.com

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:39 PM

^^ Height is a nice thing, but it means very little if the tower lacks some of the basic fundamentals that this building has. It's an attractive design, it's got ground-level retail, it's parking is underground, it relates very well to the street. It's a near-perfect design for an outside-of-city centre project. This is why I love Portland

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2m2 View Post
the cambridge condos must be the worst project in the city...and there are some really bad ones.
This is why I think old-style buildings are hard to pull off. The Cambridge just looks fake - maybe it will look better after a few Portland winters. But for the prices they were charging, I was hoping for much better ...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

the east side of the Cambridge is all glass, with black siding. It's not even faux-historical- it's only half that.

It only sports a piss-poor veneer of faux siding towards the street, which wasn't even done right, IMO.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:27 AM

I had the Cambridge project mixed up with the Uptown project. Any updated pics of the Uptown? Tks...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 6:16 PM

Additional Riverscape Buildings

Ziba HQ Building

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:20 PM

Where is the ziba hq located again?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland