HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
And experiences elsewhere suggest that major investment in public transit would be the best bet
It's great to promote transit but I'm not sure it's realistic to present transit as an alternative to a stadium or other spending.

Frequently what actually happens in Halifax is that one project will be torpedoed ostensibly because there are better ways to spend the money but then nothing at all gets built because there's no plan. While the debate rages, sprawl continues along with pointless frivolous spending because that is the path of least resistance.

The best way to redirect spending is to come up with concrete plans. For example, council could consider more BRT routes, ferries, some bus lanes, or streetcars.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Count me in the 'Dump Kelly ASAP' camp. He's made a few good decisions sure, but he's made many more costly errors by far in my opinion. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" and all that. The bad far outweighs the good.
Not that I'm a huge fan of the mayor, but he's not really charged with making decisions. Unlike other cities, our mayor's role is to chair council meetings. He doesn't need to be visionary etc. With respect to the concert cash business - if that money was given improperly, that's a breakdown of the system. I can't say how much blame the mayor should take.

Could we do with someone better? Probably. Has anyone convinced me they are that better person? Not yet.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 12:40 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

DMajackson for Mayor!

Last edited by Jstaleness; Aug 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Not that I'm a huge fan of the mayor, but he's not really charged with making decisions. Unlike other cities, our mayor's role is to chair council meetings. He doesn't need to be visionary etc. With respect to the concert cash business - if that money was given improperly, that's a breakdown of the system. I can't say how much blame the mayor should take.

Could we do with someone better? Probably. Has anyone convinced me they are that better person? Not yet.
True, and not the best choice of words, but when I say decisions I don't mean grand leadership decisions - things like participating in the 'cash for concerts' arrangement was largely a private decision made on his own initiative. It may be a breakdown or loophole, but it still demonstrates very poor judgement on his part.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
True, and not the best choice of words, but when I say decisions I don't mean grand leadership decisions - things like participating in the 'cash for concerts' arrangement was largely a private decision made on his own initiative. It may be a breakdown or loophole, but it still demonstrates very poor judgement on his part.
True that - it occurred to me that the way he handled the concert business does actually count as a decision... but not til after I wrote the post.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 6:26 PM

I'm glad we had those Concerts on the Commons. Halifax felt so alive and we got to see some great acts in our own backyard that we would've never seen otherwise. It sucks there was money lost on the BEP, but that show should've been in the Metro Center.

Peter Kelly can wait until election time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General