HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakFlava View Post
But the three other metros, Birmingham, Mobile, and Montgomery feels waaay more metro/urban/city than Huntsville though. They also look more like urban areas. They have tall buildings and good looking downtown areas. But that's my opinion.
Huntsville had a restriction on building heights downtown for a number of years. That has been eased recently.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:06 PM

Tony's Little Italy

Tony's Little Italy has closed on Whitesburg. I'm looking forward to seeing what takes over that prime location. Any news or ideas?

Chipotle is already moving into the city, so maybe a second location?
Dunkin Doughnuts?
Some fast/casual Chinese?
A bigger Lawlers?
Something new to the area like Doc Greens?
I would love a Papa Gyros in SE Huntsville, but I don't see it going in there with the (probable) high rent, and Tazikis across the street. WAAAY better than Tazikis though IMHO.

What do you guys think?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:56 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj07 View Post
Dont forget that Athens city limits also now touches Huntsville's at the I65/Huntsville Browns Ferry Rd. general area!
Athens is included in Huntsville's metro; Decatur is in its own.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:49 AM

That would be a great location for Dunkin Donuts, they'd get a ton of traffic. I just don't think that space is big enough though. I think they should definitely put on in somewhere in Jones Valley though. Whether it be the Target shopping center or somewhere else, it would do well.
Chipolte would be good there too. Qdoba was there before and they closed so I wonder if another burrito place would want to move in? Moe's is down the street too.
I want to see Great Wraps come back. I loved that place, I'm still sad it closed.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:27 PM

Smashburger in Madison. SWEET!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:08 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Tony's Little Italy has closed on Whitesburg. I'm looking forward to seeing what takes over that prime location. Any news or ideas?

Chipotle is already moving into the city, so maybe a second location?
Dunkin Doughnuts?
Some fast/casual Chinese?
A bigger Lawlers?
Something new to the area like Doc Greens?
I would love a Papa Gyros in SE Huntsville, but I don't see it going in there with the (probable) high rent, and Tazikis across the street. WAAAY better than Tazikis though IMHO.

What do you guys think?
Shane's Rib Shack maybe

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:10 AM
America's Mars Rocket

This will be a critical hire to help address Huntsville primitive road system, poorly planned retail centers and overall lack of good design in the city.
Some of the 14 committee choices may have too much of conflicting interest
in any planning that would change things for the good.

Huntsville officials are preparing to scour the United States for a "visionary" to become the city's first manager of urban and long-range planning.
Mayor Tommy Battle said he is looking for a creative thinker who can figure out the best ways to improve aging neighborhoods, reawaken downtown, develop thousands of acres of Limestone County farmland and keep traffic flowing smoothly -- while making sure those plans are understood and embraced by city residents.
"This is an essential position for our future growth," Battle said Monday. "We have a planning department with some great people in it, but they're too caught up with day-to-day activities to step back and look at where we need to be five years, 10 years, 15 years from now."
The job opening will be advertised through the American Planning Association, the Congress for New Urbanism, Urban Land Institute, Progressive Planning magazine and several other trade journals and websites.
Officials also want to get the word out in cities with good urban planning reputations: Nashville; Raleigh, N.C., Austin, Texas; and Seattle.
While the ads won't appear for a few more days, Director of Urban Development Shane Davis said he has already received "a few e-mails."
Battle mentioned the urban planner job during a Mayor's Institute on City Design workshop at Auburn University in mid-February.
Battle has appointed a 14-person selection committee to sift through resumes and winnow the field to about a half-dozen finalists who will be invited for interviews.
The committee includes Davis, city Economic Development Director Michelle Jordan, local architects Frank Nola and Paul Matheny, subdivision developer Louis Breland and two members of the Committee of 100 group of local business leaders -- Randy Schrimsher and Donna Lamb.

HSV Times

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Great idea. I just hope they find the right person. It's easy to figure out what you want in a planner, but so difficult to find the person that's going to fulfill the city's aspirations. It sounds like they're going about it the right way, though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:49 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:19 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Volvo is still available and I wouldn't totally count Audi out.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Large solar panels being installed at South Parkway and Airport Road..

http://www.redstoneenergygroup.com/about.html
Huntsville-based Redstone Energy Group, which provides renewable energy systems for municipalities, businesses and the military, broke ground today on a center to demonstrate its systems that harness the sun's energy.

The Redstone Park and Energy Demonstration Center at the northeast corner of Airport Road and South Memorial Parkway will be a "showcase of market-ready technology that's available," said Lori Severin, a principal of Redstone Energy Group who's responsible for new business development. There also will be educational information "on how energy is generated by the sun and managed by Huntsvile Utilities back to the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) grid for use by the public and by nearby buildings in need of that energy."

The solar-energy systems that will be installed and operational at the center:

• Parking Area Solar Assembly (PASA) - REG's primary system that features a canopy with solar panels as its roof. The structures provide shaded parking and electric vehicle charging stations.

The PASA system is manufactured by the company's partner, Outpost Solar, a company in Pulaski, Tenn., that designs and manufactures solar energy systems.

• Tracker system - A system that's tall enough for cars to park under in a parking lot. It also can be used in pastures because the structures are tall enough to allow sunlight to reach crops below and allow cows to graze while harvesting the sun's energy. The system tracks the movement of the sun.

Ground- and roof-mounted systems also will be installed at the center.

REG provides scalable solar parking kits that a company or organization can lease, own or "host" at no cost. With the "hosting" option, REG would own the system and sell the power generated to the TVA, Severin said.

The Redstone Park & Energy Demonstration Center will be open for public viewing the first of June, Severin said, and it's the first of other sites that will be deployed across Madison County.

REG's CEO is retired Army Lt. Gen. James Pillsbury, who was deputy commanding general of the Army Materiel Command on Redstone Arsenal when he retired last year.

"Projects like this will create hundreds of jobs for Alabamians," Pillsbury said in a release. The center, he said, is "a great opportunity to diversify our local economy and take Huntsville in a new and positive direction."

"We work hard to make sure as many components as possible are American-made," Severin said.

According to the company, the center, when completed, will generate 173,127 kilowatt hours in its first year of operation and more than 5 million kilowatt hours during the next 30 years.

The company said during the life of the project, the site will generate enough electricity to power 487 homes and cut more than 163,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions from the environment.
Source HSV Times

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
America's Mars Rocket

A good attempt here, maybe it will lead to something..anything

"City Councilman Richard Showers wants to bring in a fresh set of eyes to figure out how to jump-start north Huntsville's stagnant economy.

Showers invited a team of consultants, planners and architects to Thursday's council work session to discuss a potential master plan for the city's north end - the only part of Huntsville to have lost population since 2000.

North Huntsville residents "aren't comfortable being in a part of the city where it looks like they're being left out," Showers said. "We need help.

"We've got to get more innovative."

Representatives from Atlanta-based Laminin Group, the HOK architectural firm and Charisma III told the council that they have the expertise to help change the area's fortunes.

They propose spending eight weeks in north Huntsville getting to know the neighborhoods, meeting with residents and business owners, and crafting what Laminin Group co-founder Herman Howard called a "road map" for future development."

On a similar issue is the stupidity in the current myopic road situation along north Parkway. No vision, no seeing the big picture..just the bare minimum in hopes it will work or someone doesn't get killed. Wrong, minimal signing of the new overpasses. A controlled access freeway that comes to a dead stop at Mastin Lake, no warning signs that this poor design is coming up, can't use the Mastin Lake exit for that road, southbound no indication of upcoming I-565 interchange until way later and zero signs indicating what destinations these roads go to. Typical tunnel vision by Aldont. Further north on Federal
Highway 231, inadequate or no turn lanes around Alabama A&M, need to add lanes north and south, zero signs indicating what cross roads are coming up.
No turn lanes in the Meridianville area, basically the same road it has been for 40 years.
No plans, no vision, claims of no money will hold North Huntsville hostage.

Showers said he is eager to have an outside team of professionals focused on north Huntsville's future. The lack of upscale dining and shopping - Walmart Supercenter on Sparkman Drive is the area's retail hub - is one reason why an estimated 2,000 people have moved out of north Huntsville in the past decade, he said.

You can basically include the entire area north of Mastin Lake and over Chapman Mountain all the way to the state line.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Shane's Rib Shack maybe
Looks like it is going to be a Zoes Kitchen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Looks like it is going to be a Zoes Kitchen.
no shortage of sandwich's in that center
http://zoeskitchen.com/Menu.aspx

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
no shortage of sandwich's in that center
http://zoeskitchen.com/Menu.aspx
Zoe's is pretty good. Its big down here in Tuscaloosa. I think it'll do pretty good business.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:26 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakFlava View Post
But the three other metros, Birmingham, Mobile, and Montgomery feels waaay more metro/urban/city than Huntsville though. They also look more like urban areas. They have tall buildings and good looking downtown areas. But that's my opinion.
i guess i'll stick up for my hometown a little here....

i agree the other 3 do feel more urban. but you have to remember that they grew up well before huntsville did. before the 1940s, huntsville was eclipsed by decatur even in terms of size and importance. by the time NASA and the army set up shop, the US had fallen in love with its automobiles. as a result, huntsville never had a chance to form much of a central core. it sprawled in every direction. add to this the fact that the largest employers in the city require large tracts of land OUTSIDE the city center (NASA, Redstone, Research Park) and you end up with a small (but still underappreciated, IMO...) downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:40 AM

Huntsville's downtown development is in development.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
Huntsville's downtown development is in development.
Please don't take this as a cheap shot because it's not meant to be, but Huntsville's downtown has a mighty, mighty long way to go. Especially when you compare it to any other city of its size, and even many smaller cities. When you compare it to the likes of Montgomery, Mobile, Greenville, SC, Shreveport LA, Jackson, MS, and on and on. It's kind of sad really. During a recent conversation, an associate of mine expressed just how dissapointed he was when he visited Huntsville after reading so many glaring views about it. Again, no disrespect.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:28 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Very busy weekend downtown

Panoply http://www.artshuntsville.org/our-pr...-arts-festival

Ringling Brothers Circus

The annual Panoply Arts Festival, a high school prom, several theatrical performances, and a string of shows of the circus will challenge police and parking officials in dealing with all the traffic.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:32 PM

Contractors are starting to move dirt for the Carpenter Steel mill. I have watched several pieces of heavy construction equipment being moved east through our paving project between Moulton and Decatur, and I expect to see more next week. Thus far, I have seen two scrapers, a dozer, a trackhoe and an off road dump truck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast