HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 8:14 AM

Quick question anyone seen any dirt turning yet on the Broadway? And what about Vidorra? I'm just wondering when we will see tower cranes at each of those sights...At the current rate we will probably see a crane at Vistana before the other two. Hell they demolished that building in like a week.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:24 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

No dirt turning at either location.

I drove by both 2 days ago and Broadway was still just fenced off asphalt. Vidorra was fenced off too, but the only "work" that had been done was putting those plastic orange fences around the trees.

So, although Vidorra claims to be "under construction", it's more of an idea than a reality. (Obviously a lot of site work needs to be done before a crane goes up, but that's when I'll really get excited about the phrase "under constrcution"....at this point they are not constructing anything - and digging a hole for the foundation is not construction, it is destruction when you really think about it.)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 7:28 AM

Piazza San Lorenzo will open Spring 2009. I also drove by the Hyatt last night and they are starting on floor 6.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Piazza San Lorenzo will open Spring 2009. I also drove by the Hyatt last night and they are starting on floor 6.
I would really like to see San Lorenzo happen, but Spring 2009? What's the delay with that project? Does that mean they now know when construction will start, or just that it is delayed because they still can't get rolling? That's 2 years away, the same amount of time it will take to build the convention center hotel. I guess it could be more complicated because of restoration. I thought they were demolishing one of those buildings on that site?

I was in SA this past weekend and noticed that the front of the Kress building was covered in some black cloth. Something is going on there, so it seems that project is still alive. Does this have something to do with restoration or cleanup?

I also noticed there was asbestos removal happening at end of Houston street near the old post office. I'm guessing that is the boutique hotel project (Gibbs building?)

Finally, noticed the Marriott courtyard site by te Holiday & Drurry Inns was a big hole in the ground. Much activity about to start downtown.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:51 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
I was in SA this past weekend and noticed that the front of the Kress building was covered in some black cloth. Something is going on there, so it seems that project is still alive. Does this have something to do with restoration or cleanup?
That black cloth has been up forever...or so it seems...

Quote:
Finally, noticed the Marriott courtyard site by te Holiday & Drurry Inns was a big hole in the ground. Much activity about to start downtown.
That is definitely going to be an interesting space...such an oddly shaped lot. And does anyone know about the skinny building that is still standing next to the hole? It still has a For Sale/Lease Real Estate sign in it, although it's about 15 feet wide and about to be sandwiched in between two 180 foot buildings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 7:49 PM
Endless Moments...

Yeah that black cloth on the Kress building, has been therefor ever. I would have thought more would have taken place at Vidorra. Hmm i will have to drive by all these places when i visit next month...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 1:47 AM

What's taking them so long to get going on Vidorra. I thought Tower 1 was supposedly good to go to start construction.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 7:06 PM
The Space Pope

Has anyone else heard these myriad rumors swirling around about a massive AT&T tower? I've heard three people just last month at my school UTSA, speaking to others about a huge building downtown coinciding with the new plans to develop the urban core during the 10 year roadmap to the city's 300th birthday. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's very odd that 3 strangers would mention this, none of whom were architecture majors.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:01 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Has anyone else heard these myriad rumors swirling around about a massive AT&T tower?
No. Well, I guess I have now.

I have to wonder what thier plans are, especially considering aging buildings that they occupy downtown.

Also, I know they just finished a Kell Munoz designed parking garage at the buidling on Hildebrand and they got another massive parking garage approved by the HDRC for their downtown complex.

Why the sudden urge to turn surface lots into garages?
Is there something that those surface lots are going to be used for....

I have to think (and hope) there is something in the planning stages.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:03 AM

Hyatt is now starting on floor 8.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 2:33 AM
<-- Tower of the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
Has anyone else heard these myriad rumors swirling around about a massive AT&T tower? I've heard three people just last month at my school UTSA, speaking to others about a huge building downtown coinciding with the new plans to develop the urban core during the 10 year roadmap to the city's 300th birthday. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's very odd that 3 strangers would mention this, none of whom were architecture majors.
Ok, I'll definitely be putting this one in my prayers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 9:38 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Hyatt hotel floors look tiny compared to the first few floors. It is definitely rising quickly.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:12 PM
The Space Pope

They are currently working on level 10.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Piazza San Lorenzo closer to construction

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t.24a0b95.html

A luxury condominium project slated for the River Walk is close to finalizing an $80 million loan to start construction.

RTK Development Group could begin construction on Piazza San Lorenzo this spring, once the company closes on the loan.

The eight-story riverside condo tower's 28 units will start at $635,000 for about 1,400 square feet. A three-story penthouse will cost more than $7 million.

About 20 percent of the units have been reserved, according to a release from John R. Kazanjian, managing director of RTK Resort Group.

The development, between Houston and Soledad streets downtown, is expected to include some 17,000 square feet of river-level retail shops and restaurants and about another 30,000 square feet of retail at the street level.

Piazza San Lorenzo plans also include about 47 separate luxury time-share condo units, which are expected to sell for about $140,000 for a two-bedroom, $195,000 for a three-bedroom and $280,000 for a four-bedroom. Buyers would get a one-tenth-share interest in the property and pay annual fees of $6,500, $7,500 or $9,000, depending on the unit.

Rachel Stone

The clear sentiment is..."about time."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 12:02 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
The eight-story riverside condo tower's 28 units will start at $635,000 for about 1,400 square feet. A three-story penthouse will cost more than $7 million.
Wait, they've scaled it down? This thing was supposed to be 12 floors. I sure hope the design hasn't changed. This is probably my favorite new highrise of all the new projects.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:17 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
You misunderstood. It's an eight story condo tower topped by a three story penthouse. 8 + 3 = 11. It was never going to be 12 floors.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:08 PM

So the first floor is a condo??

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:51 PM
Meh

Guys, I've updated the first page of this thread. I switched all the renderings from my Photobucket account and put them onto Imageshack and linked them in thumbnail form. To view them in their full size just click on each rendering and it'll open in new window. I did this because the bandwidth was being exceeded on my Photobucket account every month with 80,000+ views. After it hits that number all images become unviewable, including the renderings and any photos I want to post in photo threads. That sucked, so I made the switch. It'll make the compilation thread look more streamlined, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
^^^
You misunderstood. It's an eight story condo tower topped by a three story penthouse. 8 + 3 = 11. It was never going to be 12 floors.

But one older rendering does show it at 12 floors:

Anyway, 1 floor doesn't make much of a difference. It's still an awesome project and I look forward to seeing it happen.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 9:25 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
So the first floor is a condo??
Apparently, the retail will be concentrated on Soledad, Houston, and the River (along with obvious River-front restaurants).

That would lead me to believe that there will be first floor condos, as long as you consider the River the "Basement" or "Floor 0".

That may also be where the 11 floor count comes from...perhaps they are only counting street level and above.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
<-- Tower of the Americas

Speaking of condos, and yall might know this already, but the two story buildings that are bordered by St. Mary's and Commerce, and run down to the Commerce st. bridge are going to be turned into condos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations