HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 5:37 PM

Surrey's first separated on street bike lanes completed. 192 Street at 73 Avenue

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 6:26 PM

Those look great! Way to go Surrey.

RE the Adnac bikeway, it's the busiest cycle route in the city - they had to do something. The area will live on with a few (ok maybe more than a few) less parking spaces.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:08 PM

what sort of street was that constructed on in surrey? Looks like a fairly quiet residential area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
what sort of street was that constructed on in surrey? Looks like a fairly quiet residential area.
The road is built as a standard arterial road in Surrey (4 lanes). The on-street parking is temporary and once traffic rises in the future, the parking area and buffer will be converted into the second travel lane, with the bike lane remaining in its place.

It is in a highly residential area, and right now, volumes on the road are quite low, but will rise in the future areas develop and connections are made.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Surrey's looks great, just like New York!

Meanwhile Vancouver's repaving and repainting of the 49th led to something completely contradictory to what the city has been saying they should do:

(my photo)

Not sure why they thought putting the buffered bike lane (two buffers) to the left of on-street parking was a good idea...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:17 PM

Ouch.

They need to have more consistency.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The road is built as a standard arterial road in Surrey (4 lanes). The on-street parking is temporary and once traffic rises in the future, the parking area and buffer will be converted into the second travel lane, with the bike lane remaining in its place.

It is in a highly residential area, and right now, volumes on the road are quite low, but will rise in the future areas develop and connections are made.
makes a great deal of sense and seemingly is a low cost method of implementing these sort of things. Also makes sense using roads that aren't major thoroughfares or even implementing them before they become major roads so it isn't disruptive.

Looking at the setup of Adanac/union/main intersection, i am very confused by the setup as i passed by it again. It seems almost like they are trying to aim the westbound traffic down the new pacific bike land and the eastbound coming down the viaduct as nothing lines up. It just looks poorly executed IMO.

That 49th setup just looks more dangerous than before.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post

Would the buffer paint remain?

It is too bad so many roads were left in their original poor condition with gravel shoulders and no paved shoulders when development took place waiting for that future traffic growth. In the past when roads that were 2 lanes with shoulders were converted to 4 lanes they were built without bike lanes (80's to 90's) or lanes that were 1' narrower than what should of been built (00's to only recently).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:19 AM

Should Water Street be "pedestrianized?"

Any interesting idea:
http://257vancouver.wordpress.com/20...-water-street/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5baxter View Post
Should Water Street be "pedestrianized?"

Any interesting idea:
http://257vancouver.wordpress.com/20...-water-street/
I am not opposed to the idea and knowing how the pedestrian malls in european cities are fantastic areas it could be a big success, I am just not sure if it is the right area for it. The historic factor goes along with it but I still would rather see robson street have something like this happen (along with getting rid of the separated bike lanes and restoring normal turning abilities in surrounding areas) and maybe granville from nelson up and interconnecting the area.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:59 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As I've stated I'd be okay with it taking a page out of some European cities and using stanchion that close it off to cars on weekends and evenings, during business hours there isn't the need for it to be pedestrianized and that would probably be an easier sell to the businesses along Water st.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I am not opposed to the idea and knowing how the pedestrian malls in european cities are fantastic areas it could be a big success, I am just not sure if it is the right area for it. The historic factor goes along with it but I still would rather see robson street have something like this happen (along with getting rid of the separated bike lanes and restoring normal turning abilities in surrounding areas) and maybe granville from nelson up and interconnecting the area.
There are separated bike lanes on Robson street?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
There are separated bike lanes on Robson street?
As part of the plan the hornby and dunsmuir separated lanes would have to go if robson and granville were to be pedestrianized IMO or at the very least rethought

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
I am not opposed to the idea and knowing how the pedestrian malls in european cities are fantastic areas it could be a big success, I am just not sure if it is the right area for it. The historic factor goes along with it but I still would rather see robson street have something like this happen....
Why Robson Street, if I may ask? Water Street has a bit of the "European" ambiance I would associate with pedestrian streets, but I just don't see it for Robson.

FWIW, I can also see either Mainland or Helmeckn in Yaletown working as a pedestrian street, at least on the weekends.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:28 PM

Arrow just as an example ......

http://discoverexcursionsblog.com/wp.../image0134.jpg

http://bikedenton.files.wordpress.co...8get-after.jpg

This is Stroget, Copenhagen. Please note how the people, and the bikes, are there, rain or shine

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:06 PM

And look how very flat it is, rain or shine. <rolls eyes>

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And look how very flat it is, rain or shine. <rolls eyes>
Why are you rolling your eyes and commenting about how flat it is. Are you referring to Water Street?
And Water Street is supposed to be hilly? The extreme western end is 7m higher than the extreme eastern end. There is a slight grade of just 4% inbetween Richards and Cordova, the rest is perfectly flat at least according to my Google Earth measurements.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Why are you rolling your eyes and commenting about how flat it is. Are you referring to Water Street?
See previous painful off-topic rants on weather and cycling in various cities in (I think) a different thread that may have lead to forum suspensions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
... Please note how the people, and the bikes, are there, rain or shine
That's because they have to be out in the elements - you can't get dropped off by car!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
That's because they have to be out in the elements - you can't get dropped off by car!
Precisely the point!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:13 AM

The Stroget is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed checking it out while I was in Copenhagen. Apoplectic fear of inconveniencing the car is why we can't have nice things. It's got little to do with topography or weather and everything to do with priorities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure