HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Well Old Montreal is a bit of a tourist trap. Or a lot of one. I`m not an expert. Actually my favourite part of Old Montreal is the waterfront. It immerses you in Montreal`s industrial past especially around McGill.
I'm not sure exactly how a whole preserved historic neighborhood can be describe as a tourist's trap. Maybe some particular spots, like Place Jacques-Cartier or the Old Port, because of all the restaurants, activities and the stores that cater to tourists, but it is still a genuine historic surrounding that has very few equivalent on the continent. I always was under the impression that a tourist's trap is of no value whatsoever and meant only to... trap tourists and deceived them. Maybe I got it wrong.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I'm not sure exactly how a whole preserved historic neighborhood can be describe as a tourist's trap. Maybe some particular spots, like Place Jacques-Cartier or the Old Port, because of all the restaurants, activities and the stores that cater to tourists, but it is still a genuine historic surrounding that has very few equivalent on the continent. I always was under the impression that a tourist's trap is of no value whatsoever and meant only to... trap tourists and deceived them. Maybe I got it wrong.
you're right. Old Montréal is not a tourist's trap per se, it's the tourists that made the Old Montréal a ''tourist attraction''.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

FINAL-FUCKING-LY got to be SignalHillHiker again for the first time this spring. We were overjoyed!

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 7:04 PM

A few photos I took from the last few months:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:00 PM
Montérégien

Great sets guys! Love the colours of St. John's, Montreal's classiness... Well-done again, Martin ! BTW nice pictures Shappy and SHH !

A small set about Québec

1. Quartier Saint-Sauveur

Winter in Quebec City by Pierre-Olivier Fortin, sur Flickr

2. Promenade Samuel-De Champlain

Prolongement de la promenade Samuel-De Champlain vers l&#x27;ouest by CCNQ, sur Flickr

3. Quartier Saint-Jean-Baptiste

Let the light warm your heart. by Guillaume Seguin, sur Flickr

4. Quartier Saint-Jean-Baptiste

I6314- L&#x27;ÉPICERIE MOISAN- VIEUX-QUÉBEC by BLEUnord, sur Flickr

5. Quartier Saint-Roch

Saint-Roch by JeanLemieux91, sur Flickr

6. Vieux-Québec

Québec City downtown skyline panorama / Panorama centre-ville et Vieux-Québec by Pierre-Olivier Fortin, sur Flickr

7. Chutes Montmorency

Montmorency Falls - Québec City (Québec, Canada) by Andrea Moscato, sur Flickr

8. Quartier Saint-Roch

St-Roch by José Carlos Valencia, sur Flickr

9. Quartier Saint-Roch

Urban Park / Parc urbain by Jacques Cl, sur Flickr

10. Quartier Saint-Jean-Baptiste

Église St-Jean-Baptiste, Québec by Mario A.T., sur Flickr

11. Quartier Limoilou

3e Avenue, Limoilou by ldivita13, sur Flickr

12. Old town from above

Winter in Quebec City by Pierre-Olivier Fortin, sur Flickr

Last edited by Laceoflight; Apr 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:29 PM

Awwww my city (L)
Just like a good ol' classic movie that you want to see again and again

Merci.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Where is this fascinating building? The Instagram link doesn't seem to include any sort of description.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Where is this fascinating building? The Instagram link doesn't seem to include any sort of description.
See number one here.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:37 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
I love that one. It reminds me so much of here, the pattern of the streets, but it's so wealthy and foreign.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 4:20 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
FINAL-FUCKING-LY got to be SignalHillHiker again for the first time this spring. We were overjoyed!

I'd kill for a bit of this here . . . or anywhere in the country. Quirky small scale intensive high urbanity. All smiles for me.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:07 PM
sick transit, gloria

The first pic of Quebec City posted above actually does it for me the most. We all know about the old city, but it's easy to forget that there are a number of extremely high quality late 19th / early 20th century neighbourhoods as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:

Old Montreal looks and feels much like areas of lower Manhattan--Soho, west Village and Greenwich Village. The two are also different however as lower Manhattan is buzzy, busy and throngs with commercial and cultural activity. Old Montreal while pretty, is relatively staid. It's main/major activity seems to be tourism, ie the restaurants on St. Paul street appear to be full of tourists. Nothing especially wrong with that, but the area is by any definition a tourist trap.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Old Montreal looks and feels much like areas of lower Manhattan--Soho, west Village and Greenwich Village. The two are also different however as lower Manhattan is buzzy, busy and throngs with commercial and cultural activity. Old Montreal while pretty, is relatively staid. It's main/major activity seems to be tourism, ie the restaurants on St. Paul street appear to be full of tourists. Nothing especially wrong with that, but the area is by any definition a tourist trap.
That, to me, is the opinion of someone who doesn't live in Montreal and doesn't go to Old Montreal on a daily basis, in all seasons. There are sectors in Old Montreal that are very touristy, but most of it is a working/living environnement that has zero affinity to what I would consider a tourist trap. Please, define to me a tourist trap. Why would anyone describe McGill street, lined with offices and residential buildings, as a tourist trap? I just don't get it. There is tons of commercial and cultural activities in Old Montreal, especially in the western part.

I simply can not agree with you and, for some reasons, I genuinely feel that I know better than you, because I work very often in Old Montreal, I have meetings there almost every week, I know people who live there, I eat there, I shop there, I go out there, I see shows and exhibits there. And so on.. The tourist part is a foot note to me when I think about Old Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

To me, a tourist trap has to lack authenticity. That can manifest in several ways - for example, only tourists go there, or it caters mainly to tourists with marked-up prices, or it is oversold and consequently disappoints, etc. Neither of these really apply to old Montreal as a whole.

IE here the downtown core is the heart of the city, for locals and tourists alike. But Gypsy Tea Room and the Heritage Shop verge on tourist traps. Blue on Water and the Downhome Shoppe are more authentic versions of those two things, and have a mainly local clientele.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
To me, a tourist trap has to lack authenticity. That can manifest in several ways - for example, only tourists go there, or it caters mainly to tourists with marked-up prices, or it is oversold and consequently disappoints, etc. Neither of these really apply to old Montreal as a whole.

IE here the downtown core is the heart of the city, for locals and tourists alike. But Gypsy Tea Room and the Heritage Shop verge on tourist traps. Blue on Water and the Downhome Shoppe are more authentic versions of those two things, and have a mainly local clientele.
Thank you. I'm not completely crazy then.

There are 6000 residents in that neighborhood of about one square kilometre. And there are over 1,500 offices, drawing over 40,000 workers to the area day after day. Source.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Apr 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:52 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The first pic of Quebec City posted above actually does it for me the most. We all know about the old city, but it's easy to forget that there are a number of extremely high quality late 19th / early 20th century neighbourhoods as well.
I had the same reaction when I saw the picture. Places like Saint-Sauveur (said picture), Montcalm, Saint-Roch, Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Saint-Sacrement, le Vieux-Limoilou and Maizerets make the city of Québec worth a few days of exploration.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 3:14 PM
Montérégien

Exploring Montreal's South Shore (Montérégie)
With a focus on the old parishes

VERCHÈRES

Sun Patches by Andre Costopoulos, sur Flickr
(my pic)
Verchères s/Saint-Laurent by Pierre Picard, sur Flickr

VARENNES

Old House in Varennes by Dominic Labbe, sur Flickr
pl01sept08eglise4 by Pierre Langlois, sur Flickr

BOUCHERVILLE (my pics)

LONGUEUIL

Vieux-Longueuil by Luc Des Rochers, sur 500px

University by Patrick Lefebvre, sur 500px

SAINT-LAMBERT
Sans titre by photohp, sur Flickr
Avenue Victoria - St-Lambert by Axel Drainville, sur Flickr

LA PRAIRIE (my pics)

SAINT-CONSTANT

St-Constant, Ste-Catherine by Jean-Pierre Bonin, sur Flickr
Église de Saint-Constant by Jean-Guy Duc, sur Flickr

KAHNAWAKE

Kahnawake by Andre Vandal, sur Flickr
DSC_8694 by Heather, sur Flickr

CHÂTEAUGUAY

Église ST Joachim church by Monique Maynard, sur Flickr

Angled by Justin Hand Gregory, sur 500px

BEAUHARNOIS
Another angle of the Beauharnois River falls by Fred, sur Flickr
MRC Beauharnois-Salaberry -
Beauharnois
by Jean-François Léveillé, sur Flickr

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just four pictures this time, in mourning of the loss of the Belvedere Orphanage last week.

It was going to be such a beautiful renovation.

It's located on the border of Georgestown and Rabbittown, behind two of the most prestigious high schools in the city, especially in terms of theatre (Brother Rice and Holy Heart of Mary). It's in a weird little in-fill that used to be green field. Surrounded by a couple of large (by our standards) apartment buildings and hideous new rowhouses):

This parking lot between the two orphanage buildings was going to be a community garden.

The main building will almost certainly have to be torn down now. We'll probably just get more of the above hideous rowhouses.

Another tangible, visible manifestation of the fact this city was once a lovely, densely-built town with modest but still beautiful buildings is gone. RIP.

To send it off, a performance by neighbouring high school students.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:28 PM
Montérégien

Wow that's sad... Do you know why it burned ? Did the promotors have money issues ? ;-) But without kidding, do you know ?

Last edited by Laceoflight; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:29 PM. Reason: issues with conjugaison ;)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada