HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 1:30 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Wow. That big hole is filling up quickly.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 2:35 PM

Looks a lot like the installation of the original WTC bathtub, if anyone cares to look up the old photos. Evokes a sense of optimistic construction and grandeur that I got from those photos years ago, yet thought I would probably never see in my lifetime, especially at the WTC site (pre-9/11).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Looks a lot like the installation of the original WTC bathtub, if anyone cares to look up the old photos.
Yeah, and it reminds me of every WTC construction video I've ever seen. The tub is always the first major construction there, almost as important as the towers themselves. Only this time, it's happening in real time.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
New Yorker for life

New renderings, and a slight increase in the height. The building is now 1,270 ft to roof,
and the 80 ft diamond shaped spire brings it to a total of 1,350 ft...

____

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 12:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:55 AM

what was it before this increase?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 4:01 AM
I love boxes.

^^ 1254' to roof and 1339' to the top of spire.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 5:10 AM
The True Avatar

This is the tower I am most excited about seeing completed of the new WTC complex.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 3:23 AM
I love boxes.

This tower seems to be more attractive and probably going to catch more attention than FT itself and I don't know why.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
This tower seems to be more attractive and probably going to catch more attention than FT itself and I don't know why.

It will be something different on the Manhattan skyline. But the Freedom Tower will still dominat, due to the large spire.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

nicest of the big three in that photo.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:07 PM
Frigidus Maximus

No. 7 looks oddly reminiscent of the old Vista Hotel in that last rendering, except a high rise version. The FT spire looks better with each update...

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Sep 12, 2007 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
No. 7 looks oddly reminiscent of the old Vista Hotel in that last rendering, except a high rise version. The FT spire looks better with each update...
I never really noticed it before, but the top of 7 does resemble the old hotel. As far as the FT spire, I liked the shape of the broadcast platform the last time around a lot more than this one. It just doesn't fit the angular look of the towers.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 8:12 PM
New Yorker for life

http://tribecatrib.com/news/newsoct07/Subway.html

Last Days Of The Lost Station

By Nick Pinto
OCTOBER 1, 2007

Descending into the World Trade Center’s abandoned Cortlandt Street subway station feels like entering a catacomb. The dusty floors are littered with flakes of the paint that peels off the ceiling in thick curls. The drab bricks of the 1960s renovation still line the walls of the station, ending abruptly in a jagged line at the bottom of the stairs to the platform and giving way to concrete where the station shell was rebuilt. Cables and extension cords snake along walls and ceilings, powering work-lamps that throw a harsh fluorescent light over a subway station where no one has caught a train since Sept. 11, 2001.

Nearly everything from the station, which served riders of the 1 and 9 lines, was taken out during the first round of cleaning and debris removal. Even so, some stray reminders of the station’s life remain.

Inside the long-abandoned token booth, two gooseneck microphones stand; a sign in the booth’s cracked Plexiglass window displays the outdated $1.50 subway fare; behind the windows is the white-board that informed travelers, in the hours between when the planes hit and the towers collapsed, that there would be no service at the station that day. In several places on the walls are the spray-painted markings of rescue workers, certifying the station as empty.

As early as this month, these few subterranean remnants of the World Trade Center will be removed, making way for the construction of the new World Trade Center Tower 2 and the underground passageways of the new transportation hub.

Along with them will go the “survivor stairs,” the flight of steps that rises above the station, going nowhere. The north side of the ruin, facing Vesey Street, contains what once served as the subway entrance, now sealed in sheets of heavy plywood. This stairway, which had led to the World Trade Center plaza, provided an escape route for hundreds of workers fleeing the burning towers—and became a cause for preservationists hoping to save them.

The stairs were slated for demolition during recovery operations at the site but the Metropolitan Transit Authority halted their destruction in order to preserve an entry point for rebuilding the 1/9 lines.

Because the station is considered historically significant under the National Historical Preservation Act, the Metropolitan Transit Authority has agreed to preserve some of the spray painted sections of wall before the remains of the station are demolished to make way for the construction of the new Tower 2. The agency held public hearings and consulted a wide range of interested parties, including preservation advocates, before deciding which elements of the station to preserve for display in museums.

The remnants of the station, along with the survivor stairs, will be removed this month or next and temporarily stored with other artifacts and detritus from the site at Hangar 17 at Kennedy Airport.

“There are a lot of legal technicalities to this process, and with different agencies in charge of different parts of the site, the process has been very complicated,” said Derek Piper, a Transit Authority analyst working on preservation of the station remnants. “It’s touch-and-go when the removal work will actually take place. It could happen anywhere from two weeks to two months from now.”

While the stair treads are slated to be incorporated into the memorial’s visitor center and museum, the station relics will find their way to other museums. The New York State Museum in Albany wants to display them, as do the New York City Transit Museum and the World Trade Center Memorial. Pieces may be lent out for exhibits.

“When you go down there, it evokes the events of that day,” said Ken Lustbader, spokesman for the Lower Manhattan Emergency Preservation Fund, which lobbied to preserve elements of the WTC site. “These pieces are a historic resource by the mere fact that they were at the site. Preserving them will give people a sense of the immediacy and authenticity of the World Trade Center and what happened to it.”

What happened to the station was dramatic, as pictures taken days after Sept. 11 show. In the center of the station, the tunnel gave way entirely, filling with earth, girders, pipes, wiring, and concrete slabs from the buildings above. In areas that did not collapse, the broad red steel pillars supporting the roof above the platform buckled and warped under the weight of the impact.

In the months after the attack, the tracks were cleared and the concrete “station envelope” rapidly rebuilt, allowing the 1 Train to once again run to South Ferry just a year after it was interrupted, but the Cortlandt Street station itself was stripped, sealed and abandoned.

In the empty station today, the trains can be heard hurtling by behind the metal sheets that separate the tracks from the deserted platform. As riders fly by, all they see of a station that once served the World Trade Center is a glimpse of the original brick through chinks in the steel screens. Soon even this will be gone.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Of all the new buildings going up at the WTC site, i like this one the most.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:22 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Forget the Freedom Tower, this should rise first.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:55 PM
Frigidus Maximus

2 WTC is a nice tower, but the fact is it and FT look best together. It's a tribute to the collective design talents of all involved that WTC 1, 2, 3 and 4 work so well together.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:40 PM

In those new renderings, I can see nothing but the chasm in the facade.
I'm not sure I like that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
In those new renderings, I can see nothing but the chasm in the facade.
I'm not sure I like that.

Makes it more monolithic, like the Freedom Tower, blending the two together more. But we won't really know until the skin is on...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:59 PM
The True Avatar

At least the "chasm" breaks up what would be one massive wall along the side of the building. The chasm also makes it so you would want to look up towards the top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction