HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:28 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
imo the entire lake shore of Toronto if grossly misconceived. a travesty that needs to be addressed by better people than the past or present. its like not one thing put forward looks anywhere near as good as it could be. every render i see of this lake front is shitty at best. why is it so? there is so much potential for a world beating lake front skyline. yet the city planers always show something out of any skyline lovers worst nightmare. that's my strong opinion.
East Bayfront will be the game changer. It will have canals and waterfront shops, condos, public spaces and businesses. A true community built on top of the water, just like Venice or Amsterdam, but without the whole getting flooded all the time thing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Where are the canals? I don't see it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:05 PM
gettin' rich!

There is a shipping canal behind the towers.

Plus they need to build a spillway for the Don River to reach the lake and not flood the development.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 3:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Not ever could Toronto be like (or compared to) Venice and Amsterdam. Anybody who has been to the latter two cities knows that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:26 PM
gettin' rich!

I was just taking about the way the community will be integrated with its waterfront setting.

Unless I am mistaken and Venice and Amsterdam don't intergrate well in their waterfront setting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:46 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
imo the entire lake shore of Toronto if grossly misconceived. a travesty that needs to be addressed by better people than the past or present. its like not one thing put forward looks anywhere near as good as it could be. every render i see of this lake front is shitty at best. why is it so? there is so much potential for a world beating lake front skyline. yet the city planers always show something out of any skyline lovers worst nightmare. that's my strong opinion.
Wow! I'm now really quite interested in what you would do. That doesn't mean the lake flaws doesn't have major flaws.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I was just taking about the way the community will be integrated with its waterfront setting.

Unless I am mistaken and Venice and Amsterdam don't intergrate well in their waterfront setting.
That part of Toronto will look nothing like either Amsterdam or Venice. East Bayfront won't have anything approaching what exists in those cities. They both have extensive canal systems, Toronto might be lucky to get one tiny canal and likely with no residential built right up against it. House boats? Water taxis?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:29 PM
gettin' rich!

I never said it was going to look like Amsterdam or Venice.

Also I am pretty sure residential and public space will be built abutting the spillway for the Don as well as the shipping canal.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:42 PM

i'm not a fan of the design choices for some of these east waterfront proposals. all of them look too similar and all revolve around a similar design style. i'd prefer more glass and less "future envisioned" in look. but still way better than what the land is now that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:52 PM

dont get me wrong, i love torono's skyline very much and it is canada's best;however, i find the lake front area lacking. moreover, i certainly dont claim to have the solutions as i am no city engineer. observation only.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:06 PM
gettin' rich!

There are enough towers that are yet to be designed for the lakefront. No point making judgements yet until more of the development has been built.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
dont get me wrong, i love torono's skyline very much and it is canada's best;however, i find the lake front area lacking. moreover, i certainly dont claim to have the solutions as i am no city engineer. observation only.
The plan in place will make it one of the great urban waterfronts of the world. Providing the Ford's don't try to mess it up again.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:56 PM

some updated renderings with a lot more buildings. still missing Mars II, the twins where the hilton garden inn is, and the old sapphire site.. whatever is going there. any more suggestions would be appreciated! One Bloor and Aura do not take into account their recent floor additions.

a pic of the model in sketchup, to show the sheer amount of construction going on in this city.

a closeup of southcore:

what future toronto will look like from NPS: (I'll do this again with the canada tower in it)

one of the old views but with cityplace filled in:

and some other new views:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:12 PM
gettin' rich!

Your 100 Adelaide is pretty awesome!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:24 PM

ya it is.

in the process of making this model, i have realized how flat the entertainment district will be. most buildings are no more than 10 meters apart in height...

the model is sitting at 123 megabytes, which is huge for a sketchup file.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:38 PM
ARTchitecture

The only thing I don't like about those is that Aura is hardly noticeable, it looks like a cold dick compared to some of the existing buildings. I hope it makes a bigger impact on the skyline than what is portrayed here.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:50 PM

I'll have to replace it with a white model in my next update anyways, there is no version available with the height of 78 floors, only 75. even then, the model i am using has the old 3 floor base.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
The plan in place will make it one of the great urban waterfronts of the world. Providing the Ford's don't try to mess it up again.

Video Link
Inspiring and optimistic, but as we know, best-made plans often go awry here in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Inspiring and optimistic, but as we know, best-made plans often go awry here in Toronto.
It's already funded and well underway. The Ford brothers attempt to derail it back in October was quickly shot down by the residence of Toronto and it is staying the coarse.

The urban stretch that will blend into the more natural sections is currently u/c.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
There are enough towers that are yet to be designed for the lakefront. No point making judgements yet until more of the development has been built.
indeed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada