HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:07 AM

For the record, I crossed into the U.S. a couple days ago with a car full of luggage and tools (that sometimes is a bit of a problem for them -- they really don't want me to go and steal Americans' jobs) and the girl who was working then did not even care to look into the car.

It might be statistically meaningless, but so far I am even starting to notice that it's even easier to enter under Trump than it was under Obama, strangely. Maybe they're spending so much more time gratuitously harassing non-whites than before that they've completely lost the will to do anything more than say "go ahead and have a nice day" to people who don't check their profiling boxes...?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:41 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My wife is half-brown. I like to tease her that travelling with me is as good as having a Nexus card... no problems ever

Of course I can speak only in generalities and in terms of past experience, but HK is going to be a laughably easy customs process for someone with a Canadian passport.
It's not that - we're flying united via ORD. We've entered the US 4 times in the last 16 months - never a problem (coming back I was tired and they thought I was high - ha). I'm hoping for the same this time.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:59 AM

there was an article today about vermont worrying about canadians choosing to stop shopping there because of border harrasment coming into the states.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 1:38 PM
arf

^Possible, although the state of the dollar is probably enough to halt most of that now right now.

Anyone else worried that Donald is sending B-52s to South Korea?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Thanks to the US government deadlock, Americans are about to lose the ability to travel to Europe without a visa.

The EU has a "visa reciprocity" rule where foreigners can only be eligible for visa-free travel if their governments in turn grant visa-free travel to citizens of all EU countries.

The USA violates this rule as it requires citizens of Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia to get visas to enter the US.

In 2014 the EU warned the USA that it would enforce visa reciprocity if the USA didn't change. And now.. the EU has decided to impose a hard deadline.

If the USA does not allow visa-free entry to citizens of Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Croatia by the end of April, American citizens will lose the ability to enter the EU without a visa.
You realize Canada is in the same boat right? Canada does not allow visa-free travel for Bulgaria and Romania. Canada has received the same warning. Unfortunately I doubt anything comes of it because Brussels does not give a flying fuck about these countries. Why do I think this? Because the EU has never done anything about this in the past. When Canada imposed visa restrictions on Czechia because of Czech gypsies flying in and claiming asylum the EU did nothing. Like I believe it will do nothing now as well.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:26 PM

I am white and most of my problems were on the Canadian side, though the Americans always treat me like dirt but that's fine, I am used to it and go through the motions to pass through as hassle free as possible. Only time I really had serious attitude going to the states was when I caught a shitty bus to the Seattle airport, the American border guys were dicks and really gave me a hard time for having a piece of breakfast cake with me that I was eating and didn't declare...In the end though all that was hurt was my feelings.

Going back though I had a female border guard yell in my face and just explode on me because I reached for a receipt on my passenger car seat when she asked how many goods I am bringing back. I also was thrown into secondary inspection last year at YVR I believe because my travel flipped some flags. Basically I flew from Brazil, via Miami where I exited the airport for a bit, to Seattle where I had a 14 hour layover and stayed at a friends house. The trip to Brazil earlier in the month also had a 24 hour layover in Dallas where I went into town, and Miami where I exited the airport. That and maybe the fact I used a Canadian passport with a Brazilian visa to enter Brazil instead of my EU passport that I used in the past which has visa free travel to Brazil, I don't know. Anyways weird itineraries flip flags.

I have one friend who I was with, white, who made a joke and was denied entry to the US though. So don't give bad attitude or joke around. Also if your name matches known terrorists and you frequently travel to the arm pits of the world then it is understandable you will experience more checks everywhere. Also if you think you will be harassed I believe you will give off a vibe that will make you a target of harassment.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:33 PM
the first stamp is free

I once had a Canadian border guard at Emerson yell at me that "you appear intoxicated!", ordered me out of my car, and inside for a breathalyzer.

I still remember the looks on the faces of the two RCMP officers when I blew 0.00.

That border guard was a particular dick.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:45 PM

One more story, fairly recently I found a couple strands of old fire crackers that I for some unknown reason acquired at some point in the distant past (fun things). Well they got moved around in my house and somehow one fell in my shoe. The shoe I put on before I went to the airport. Well in Seattle at the little scanning machine I take my shoes off, put them on the belt and look and see this little dynamite looking thing right there in my shoe in plain sight. So I quickly think whats the best thing to do now and decide ok I will just report it right away to one of the agents and be honest. I did that and....they just took it and that was it. Didn't care. I swear I though I would get a hard time at best...If it was a blunt though I probably would have had a much more unpleasant time (I don't smoke marijuana anymore so no danger of that happening and if I ever decide to smoke some in the future it will be via one of those disposable vaporizers I have seen friends who do smoke use). Lesson, check your stuff. Same with check your car. For example my car had ammunition spilled all over and I didn't realize it until I got back from a trip to the US a year two ago, with a bit of bad luck I could have had major problems just because I didn't check my car and ensure it was clean.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
You realize Canada is in the same boat right? Canada does not allow visa-free travel for Bulgaria and Romania. Canada has received the same warning. Unfortunately I doubt anything comes of it because Brussels does not give a flying fuck about these countries. Why do I think this? Because the EU has never done anything about this in the past. When Canada imposed visa restrictions on Czechia because of Czech gypsies flying in and claiming asylum the EU did nothing. Like I believe it will do nothing now as well.
The visa lift on Bulgarians and Romanians is coming December 1, 2017. This is why the EU isn't going to do to Canada what it's threatening to do to the US. It doesn't have anything to do with what Brussels thinks about Romania or Bulgaria.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Possible, although the state of the dollar is probably enough to halt most of that now right now.

We should all be worried. Three great powers drifting toward armed confrontation over a peninsula nobody really cares about is eerily reminiscent of 1914.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
We should all be worried. Three great powers drifting toward armed confrontation over a peninsula nobody really cares about is eerily reminiscent of 1914.
There's a billion plus people in the region who might disagree with this statement. I'm pretty sure a lot of them care very much about what happens here.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Canada is removing visa restrictions for Bulgaria & Romania later this year, after the EU threatened to do the same to us. Australia and Japan were also given similar ultimatums and they complied.

Similarly, a few years back, we removed visa restrictions for Czechia after their government threatened to block CETA talks over the issue. Slapping the visa requirement on Czechs was probably one of the dumbest foreign policy moves Harper ever made.. seriously, pissing off a NATO ally that has the ability to veto a strategically important trade deal? Glad we gave Harper the boot.

You are right though in that the EU only recently started actually caring beyond token complaints.

Last edited by 1overcosc; Mar 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Canada is removing visa restrictions for Bulgaria & Romania later this year, after the EU threatened to do the same to us. Australia and Japan were also given similar ultimatums and they complied.

Similarly, a few years back, we removed visa restrictions for Czechia after their government threatened to block CETA talks over the issue. Slapping the visa requirement on Czechs was probably one of the dumbest foreign policy moves Harper ever made.. seriously, pissing off a NATO ally that has the ability to veto a strategically important trade deal? Glad we gave Harper the boot.

You are right though in that the EU only recently started actually caring beyond token complaints.
Ok you are correct. May 1st Bulgaria and Romania will have it somehow easier and December 1st will be visa free.

As for Czechia, the problem was not Harper it was the Liberals. Literally. The Liberals were the problem. In 1997 they officially said Czechs were treating the Roma/Gypsies poorly, this allowed Czech gypsies to claim refugees status in Canada. What followed was a Czech documentary that aired in Czechia about how great life in Canada is and how they are taking gypsies as Refugees and giving them so much more state money etc. This was followed by a wave of literally thousands of Czech gypsies flying to Canada and claiming asylum, successful because of the short sighted Liberals and their idiotic statements.

It took just a few month for Canada to slap visa restrictions on Czechia because they could not stop the flow of very "difficult" people that they could not get rid of once they landed. This restriction was lifted under the Conservatives, and the gypsies begun to come again, so the visa ban was re instated again. It was only after the Conservatives passed some immigration/refugee changes that no longer allowed gypsies to successfully claim asylum here that they lifted the restrictions for good.

So let me repeat it was the Liberals and their your all welcome attitude that led to visa restrictions being imposed on Czechia and it was the Conservatives that finally managed to lift them. And it was all to do with gypsies, who to be honest have serious issues within their communities.

Found the beginning, article in 1997:

Quote:
About 550 Gypsies have arrived in Canada this year, claiming status as refugees from racial persecution in the Czech Republic. The numbers are still small, particularly for Canada, a country that accepts approximately 30,000 refugees among 200,000 annual immigrants.

But the number of Gypsies has still been enough to fill Toronto homeless shelters and force local social service agencies to house them in suburban hotels. It also has forced Canadian immigration officials to puzzle through a gathering refugee wave apparently started by word of mouth but stoked by a Czech television documentary, aired Aug. 7, that portrayed Canada as a promised land of spacious housing, plentiful welfare, jobs for the asking and trips to Niagara Falls.

"All you Gypsies, if you have money, jump on a plane and come over," said a woman identified on the Nova TV show as Margit Bangova, surrounded by children and speaking Czech. "There you will be hungry and pushed aside. And you'll always be judged. . . . Here, you will live like kings, like the Canadians."

Nova reporter Josef Klima, in an interview in Prague, acknowledged that the documentary erred on the positive side in portraying Canada and excluded comments from some Gypsies who said their main reason for emigrating was Canada's reputation for rich social programs – not the type of persecution in the Czech Republic that would qualify them as refugees.

Gypsies have been arriving steadily in Canada at least since last year, after the country lifted its visa requirement for Czech travelers. The Nova TV images may quicken the pace. In an interview in Toronto last week, Slovak-born lawyer George Kubes, who was featured on the documentary and is representing several hundred of the new arrivals, said he thinks the migration has just begun.

"The flood has not even started yet," Kubes said. "Whole towns are eyeing this situation."

Concerned that he may be right, Canada took the unusual step of sending a delegate from its embassy in Prague to conduct television interviews and speak with Gypsy groups. The envoy was not, as Canadian diplomats often do, spreading the gospel that Canada heads the 1997 U.N. list of national economic and social development. The mission, rather, was to remind potential immigrants that it's hard to find a job if you don't speak English or French, that housing is expensive and hard to acquire and that no one will greet you at the airport with a welfare check.

"Nobody is waiting for them with open arms. Nobody is giving them money. There are no jobs waiting for them. That's the message we're trying to get across," said Terrance Mooney, Canada's acting charge d'affaires in Prague. "What we've been attempting to do here is bring some truth to the matter."

It is a truth, however, that varies with perspective. A nomadic people who originated in India and are currently scattered in pockets throughout Europe, the Gypsies have long been at the bottom of the continent's social and economic scale. Persecuted and killed by the Nazis in World War II, they still suffer widespread discrimination. Employment, even restaurant service, is denied them in some areas, and they are frequently the target of beatings and violence that some courts are reluctant to punish.

In the Nova TV documentary, the tension between Czech and Gypsy residents is clear. In Ostrava, an eastern Czech town where many Gypsies now live, Mayor Liana Janackova said she wants to help them buy plane tickets so they would leave. "If more Romany leave, we could pull down their housing" in a decrepit area of town, she said.

Human rights organizations have repeatedly criticized the Czech Republic for not doing more to eliminate discrimination against Gypsies, which they say has grown since the fall of Communist rule and the end of laws designed to force their assimilation into the Czech majority.

From that perspective, Canada looks pretty good, welfare payments or not. Canada allows anyone to apply to become a refugee; following a U.N. convention, it accepts those who are persecuted because of their race, religion or political views. Kubes said Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board has ruled on 22 Gypsies' cases this year and that all have qualified.

On the other hand, the Czech Republic has taken steps, and is pledging more, to protect a prominent minority in a country whose population is largely homogenous. A citizenship law widely viewed as discriminatory against Slovak-born Gypsies has been relaxed. And as the country positions itself for NATO membership in 1999, the government is preparing to announce a new policy to aid its approximately 300,000 Gypsies.

A draft of the new policy points candidly to some of the same abuses noted by such groups as Human Rights Watch, and it appeals to Prime Minister Vaclav Klaus to address the problem so the country can continue its economic progress and integration into the European and world economies.

Whether the predicted flood of Romany refugees to Canada materializes, Gypsies on both sides of the Atlantic say they have been educated about the ways of both countries. They now know Canada is not perfect – and not just because of skinheads.

As the summer's arrivals trickled in, Canadian police and diplomatic officials talked publicly about the threat of increased crime the Gypsies might bring, and immigration officials are investigating whether clerks at Toronto's Pearson International Airport so discouraged some Gypsy families that they waited at the airport for the next flight home.

But Czech Gypsies also learned that the lure of Canada can be a handy political tool in their homeland. On a mud path outside Ostrava, a group of Gypsies gathered to discuss their problems, shouting and cursing about their treatment in Europe.

"Why don't we like it here? They won't serve us coffee in restaurants. We're afraid to go out at night. . . . But do you know what's interesting?" said Helena Sivakova. "We've been having these problems for 40 years and nobody's cared. Only when we want to go to Canada, all of a sudden people pay attention."
http://www.druzin.com/macleans.html

Last edited by cornholio; Mar 11, 2017 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

Love Shack baby, that's where it's at!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Oh, which three great powers are fighting over downtown Vancouver?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Ok you are correct. May 1st Bulgaria and Romania will have it somehow easier and December 1st will be visa free.

As for Czechia, the problem was not Harper it was the Liberals. Literally. The Liberals were the problem. In 1997 they officially said Czechs were treating the Roma/Gypsies poorly, this allowed Czech gypsies to claim refugees status in Canada. What followed was a Czech documentary that aired in Czechia about how great life in Canada is and how they are taking gypsies as Refugees and giving them so much more state money etc. This was followed by a wave of literally thousands of Czech gypsies flying to Canada and claiming asylum, successful because of the short sighted Liberals and their idiotic statements.

It took just a few month for Canada to slap visa restrictions on Czechia because they could not stop the flow of very "difficult" people that they could not get rid of once they landed. This restriction was lifted under the Conservatives, and the gypsies begun to come again, so the visa ban was re instated again. It was only after the Conservatives passed some immigration/refugee changes that no longer allowed gypsies to successfully claim asylum here that they lifted the restrictions for good.

So let me repeat it was the Liberals and their your all welcome attitude that led to visa restrictions being imposed on Czechia and it was the Conservatives that finally managed to lift them. And it was all to do with gypsies, who to be honest have serious issues within their communities.

Found the beginning, article in 1997:

http://www.druzin.com/macleans.html
Yeah... the off-again on-again nature of Canadian visa restrictions on Czechia. But imposing them again right in the middle of the CETA negotiations, was not a smart move on Harper's part.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Oh, which three great powers are fighting over downtown Vancouver?
cue the SSP wars

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of the off-again on-again nature of Canadian visa restrictions on Czechia. But imposing them again right in the middle of the CETA negotiations, was not a smart move on Harper's part.
But they were originally imposed by Liberals because of Liberal carelessness and comments they made. And they are doing the same stuff today again. Harper actually lifted the restrictions but had to re impose them because the gypsies begun to flood in again. I mean there was not much of a choice, Harper was in a pretty tough spot and had to wait to run through some reforms before lifting the restrictions for good. The gypsy thing is a complicated and difficult subject. Anyways the restrictions are not coming back anymore so all is good, the mistake of the Liberals in the mid 90's has been finally corrected for good it would seem. No that it matters to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:56 AM

Just as a FYI that's semi-related to the topic at hand, since I've been in FL I have observed that one can't spit without hitting an Ontario-plated vehicle here (Quebec plates are also very common, just not on every corner). No noticeable change compared to previous years. So, I'd be inclined to believe few people actually modified their plans and/or were turned back at the border. As is often the case, the very few that are vocal about it don't end up having much of an impact in the real world.

I'd be curious to see data (in any case, the strong US dollar is worse for tourism than Trump, that's for sure).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:38 AM

Yeah, I don't really think the "I'm going to avoid the US because of Trump" crowd are actually the "I'm going to go spend a lot of time in Florida this winter" crowd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada