HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:17 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
MORE TRIBUNE SITE RENDERINGS...
Jeez it's like building an entire downtown for a mid sized city. And Chicago is of a scale where it just kind of fits in. Absolutely fantastic that this is getting some energy to move forward.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:01 AM

Gr333n First steel went up today!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:40 AM

An Incredible Transformation?
Blair Kamin - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Viewed from the air, it’s a stunning transformation — in just 30 years, a gritty swath of cleared land and surface parking lots has become a glistening new part of Chicago.

But people experience cities on the ground, not in the air. Put the 60 acres between Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue under a microscope and what you see is a cityscape of great expectations and half-kept promises.

The deal was simple: The city would let developers build tall at Cityfront Center, Chicago’s largest real estate development of the 1980s. In exchange, there would be beautiful buildings, streets, parks, plazas and a riverwalk.

Yet the architecture, with rare exceptions, is mediocre. The public spaces were supposed to be vibrant and interconnected. Instead, they are unfinished, underachieving, largely disjointed and even, in one case, off-limits to the public.

Urban planning flops like these loom large as city officials review new megaplans from developers who pretty up their visions of skyscrapers with dazzling drawings of riverwalks, bike trails and other amenities teeming with smiling, attractive people.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:03 AM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Lol... that was funny. NO!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:19 AM
The City

Build every one of them!!

Yay!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:20 AM

What a time to be alive!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:25 PM

^ It certainly is! My contracting company DOUBLED in volume year over year by JUNE. We had to stop bidding. Couldn't take on any more work, six months into the fiscal year.

What a time to be alive

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah I almost wonder if it would be better to build a busway. Then at the north end you could have routes splitting off to connect with Red Line, Blue Line and at the south end could tie into Loop Link.

Check out the last few pages of this, CDOT is really starting to get into the planning. They're showing buses for now but I don't think streetcars have been ruled out yet.

http://www.itsmidwest.org/2018-Annua...als_Rinnan.pdf

On the site plan. The rail right-of-way is shown as undeveloped south of Erie St, and north of Erie it's all air-rights development with the right-of-way in a tunnel. The third rendering in BVic's post, at the corner of Jefferson and Grand, also shows that land as undeveloped (darker shade of pavement at the lower left).

Based on the CDOT presentation above, it looks like the undeveloped right of way will be used for a busway if/when a deal can be struck with UP and Blommer's to vacate the spur.
Busses and streetcars could coexist in the same, properly designed and operated, ROW.

Would also really love to see the city go back and address the deficiencies of Loop Link (lack of curbs to keep out non-bus traffic, strict photo enforcement, more favorable signaling, etc).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
It felt like he intentionally avoided being optimistic at all for 6,000 words
I think the article in intented to be a counter-balance to all the flashy, futuristic, and greenspace filled (trees on roofs!) renderings and promises for the new mega-devs such as Lincoln Yards, the 78, and Tribune site.

In that sense, I think Kamin is approately non-optimistic with his analysis of Cityfront.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:42 PM
The City

I guess I don't understand what's so hard about the City saying to a condo/townhome association:

"There is a public easement here. Remove this gate or we will."

This ain't rocket science.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:52 PM
SUSPENDED

I think it's pretty clear that Kamin wasn't being overly pessimistic. He annoys me usually but this article was spot on. The fact is that for all of its success at building residential towers, Streeterville has hardly any social infrastructure or neighborhood identity. And we can learn from that mistake. Kamin rightfully points out that Millennium Park taught us just how important social infrastructure is, and how it generates economic growth.

MP literally changed the city's identity on the world stage and drew hundreds of millions of dollars in investment and god even knows how much in revenue and GDP growth since its opening. Likewise, Riverwalk, while not as spectacular, has been no less successful at drawing tens of thousands of people to see a brand new space with a specific identity, one that's sure to drive residential development and corporate relocations in the years to come.

The success of MP and Riverwalk have solidified the city's reputation as a vibrant social space, and both show that more govt oversight and planning input should be welcomed by private developers looking to maximize the desirability of these new places.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:08 PM

I feel like the Riverwalk is more successful than Millennium Park at least for the effort, time, and money. The improvement to the built environment of Wacker drive is unbelievable. Millennium Park makes a huge splash but doesn't necessarily provide as many everyday benefits to the population of the city. My wife used to walk the be length of the Riverwalk each day on her way from Clark and Lake to NBC Tower. Thats a huge improvement in her quality of life for a good 30-40 min of her day, you don't go to Millennium Park unless you are going to Millennium Park. The Riverwalk is a convenient Oasis as well as a vastly improved public way.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:38 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I feel like the Riverwalk is more successful than Millennium Park at least for the effort, time, and money. The improvement to the built environment of Wacker drive is unbelievable. Millennium Park makes a huge splash but doesn't necessarily provide as many everyday benefits to the population of the city. My wife used to walk the be length of the Riverwalk each day on her way from Clark and Lake to NBC Tower. Thats a huge improvement in her quality of life for a good 30-40 min of her day, you don't go to Millennium Park unless you are going to Millennium Park. The Riverwalk is a convenient Oasis as well as a vastly improved public way.
Yeah there's definitely more bang for your buck with the Riverwalk but i think that's partly bc it's literally the main artery of the city. That said, what I like about MP is that it draws people from all over the city. It's one of the few places downtown that turns into a melting pot on any given summer day.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 9:01 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
The success of MP and Riverwalk have solidified the city's reputation as a vibrant social space, and both show that more govt oversight and planning input should be welcomed by private developers looking to maximize the desirability of these new places.
Both have me very excited about the possibility that Randolph Street pedestrian zone could possibly become if done as well and smartly as those two examples ended up being.

A Las Ramblas-esque street for Chicago would be truly unique for this continent that I can think of. The idea has the potential to be one of the premier social spaces for downtown. What is best is that one has to barely wait for the implementation to come before the private development as it is largely happening anyhow.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s been a couple years since I’ve been at the Chicago one, but it looks like they need to replace some of those sofa cushions.
LOL the cushions were just wet. The lounge was nice, but not exclusive-club-for-millionaires nice. Based on the photo alone, it does look like just old junky furniture though. Says something about the vintage distressed trend.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
LOL the cushions were just wet. The lounge was nice, but not exclusive-club-for-millionaires nice. Based on the photo alone, it does look like just old junky furniture though. Says something about the vintage distressed trend.
Soho House isn’t supposed to be an ‘exclusive club for millionaires’ (although here in its home base of London, it often is).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:17 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Both have me very excited about the possibility that Randolph Street pedestrian zone could possibly become if done as well and smartly as those two examples ended up being.

A Las Ramblas-esque street for Chicago would be truly unique for this continent that I can think of. The idea has the potential to be one of the premier social spaces for downtown. What is best is that one has to barely wait for the implementation to come before the private development as it is largely happening anyhow.
That’d be pretty spectacular. What would the east/west boundaries be?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:08 PM

That would be awesome. My guess would be the highway to the east and ogden to the west.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:05 PM

The Mill:

Hard to see but I can see its core and concrete pump now. This baby is starting to climb!

Gr333n:

Waiting on steel still!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations