HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:03 AM

Not including Ontario, I would probably choose the interior BC (I love the hot summer days, with lots of sunshine and access to water). The lakes aren't as big and impressive as The Great Lakes, but it's better than nothing. At least the summers are smoking hot and the winters aren't that bad. Likely somewhere in the Castlegar to Okanagan Valley to Kamloops corridor.

If I had to pick a big city to live in other than Toronto, I would choose Montreal. I like the culture, the architecture, the spirit, and the blend of European and American architecture. The St Lawrence is also a pretty kick as river that has access to the ocean and the Great Lakes too.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bella Coola?
Ya could be? I dont know how to operate one of those Google map distance line things.

Edit: Bella Coola is 1200kms from Castlegar. So further south a bit.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
It is apparently 1700km to prince rupert from here so 1000 would be well south.
Oh wow ok, I tried to estimate the distance as the crow flies on Google Maps on my phone and it appeared to be something like 700-800km to Prince Rupert.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:11 PM

Denscity......... I am curious, why Bella Coola?

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your desire to move there but what exactly is it that you find so desirable? Even if you love the rain and cloudy skies, would you not find the isolation oppressive? It's a 5 hour drive from the next town {Williams Lake} so reaching a place with more than one gas station is a day's drive.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Denscity......... I am curious, why Bella Coola?

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your desire to move there but what exactly is it that you find so desirable? Even if you love the rain and cloudy skies, would you not find the isolation oppressive? It's a 5 hour drive from the next town {Williams Lake} so reaching a place with more than one gas station is a day's drive.
Ya a village like that goes against all that is skyscraper. I do love the outdoors and so to have open ocean waves crashing on the beach with some of the largest trees in North America in behind would be paradise. Sunsets would be incredible - next stop Japan. It would be permanent camping mode almost which i can do as I am from the Kootenays.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 9:25 PM

I just took a look at some pictures of Bella Coola as I had never heard of it before. The mountains look gorgeous. However if you wanna be close to the ocean, wouldn’t Prince Rupert be better? Bella Coola is at the end of a long cove, about 100km from the actual ocean. The vibe I get from the pictures is more “river and lakes” than ocean.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I just took a look at some pictures of Bella Coola as I had never heard of it before. The mountains look gorgeous. However if you wanna be close to the ocean, wouldn’t Prince Rupert be better? Bella Coola is at the end of a long cove, about 100km from the actual ocean. The vibe I get from the pictures is more “river and lakes” than ocean.
Yes Prince Rupert would be better citywise and if I was just south or west to get the open ocean waves. But going by the 1000km by the crow flies rule it would be just north of Port Hardy but on the mainland.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 11:38 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If I had to move somewhere close, it would likely be back to Halifax.

If I had to move somewhere over 1000 km away, I think I would choose Stratford ON. Stratford in some ways reminds me of Charlottetown (major theatre festival, compact prosperous downtown and good restaurant scene). It is just about the right size for me (as far as smaller communities are concerned), and ideally situated centrally in southwestern Ontario, with a passenger rail connection to Toronto. It ticks a lot of boxes on my list.
It's certainly a decent place for what it is. Except maybe if you're young and ambitious. It's not the kind of place you move to because there are lots of jobs and you can forge your way, but it's certainly set up nicely for people without money worries looking for somewhere pleasant, undemanding, a bit arty and a bit eccentric. So yeah, it ticks lots of very specific boxes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 11:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It someone put my feet into the fire, I would have to say....back to Montreal. The only place that has ever really felt like home, and the only place I never got bored of. I didn't get bored of Vancouver, but that was due to the incredible natural attractions. The city itself, while great, isn't quite limitless on things to do.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:12 AM

What about Kitkatla on Dolphin Island BC.
Not on open ocean but does have an Ocean Drive, Harbour Road and Beach Street. Sounds pretty exotic. And I can try take a logging road and hike to open ocean.
BC doesn't seem have a Wreckhouse equivalent. All the villages are in protected waters. Bella Bella, Bella Coola, Klemtu etc.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It someone put my feet into the fire, I would have to say....back to Montreal. The only place that has ever really felt like home, and the only place I never got bored of. I didn't get bored of Vancouver, but that was due to the incredible natural attractions. The city itself, while great, isn't quite limitless on things to do.
Montreal...for its proximity to Laval and Longueuil

Ah come on, you're just saying Montreal so you don't have to admit that your true calling is in Milton.

Honestly, though Montreal would tick many boxes for me although my french is quite rusty and I find I can understand french spoken in France much more than quebec french. Montreal has proximity to good skiing, great hiking to the north or south (when that opens again), great restaurants (Orange Julus, Bar-b-bar) , reasonable price housing, public transport and all the classic roooooooooooooooooooooccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you could want on CHOM. Oh yeah and Mutsumi Takahashi.

One downfall...still no right turn on a red but I guess pedestrians need a head start.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada