HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:58 AM

The Core

Had the opportunity to walk thru the downtown over the March Break. Things are looking up. Gore Park has several morencolourful restaurants.
But something has to be done to the upper floors on the North side of King. They look like crap and rob from all renewal.
I hope for some offices with big windows overlooking the Cenotaph and park. I know this may sound weird, but I have been to several cities that have gyms on upper Floors (stairs = more exercise) and the treadmills and aerobic machines are in the windows so the core would be under constant surveillance. Better than cameras. Maybe have the fitness club move and use that area for more market.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:40 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:47 PM

^Hmmm I wonder why there's all that available space in the Right House?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^Hmmm I wonder why there's all that available space in the Right House?
I don't know the back story you're alluding to. Why is there so much space available? Lovely building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:14 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I don't know the back story you're alluding to. Why is there so much space available? Lovely building.
Because the city moved a lot of the offices in there to the Lister Block. Abandon one building to save another...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:39 PM

Thankfully, they leveraged that public money for one last hurrah before doing so. You could even make the case for knock-on effects.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:01 AM

Yeah, I'm not terribly critical of the City for doing that - they were simply making the best of a bad situation.

The Right House would be a nice spot for a university/ college to set up shop. Perhaps Redeemer could squeeze in there - they have been looking downtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:30 AM
Hammer'd

I'd personally love to see a residential conversion of the upper floors with more retail on the first floor. The building has a really well restored arcade similar to the Lister Block's. Since Absinthe moved to the rear from their old location on King East, there's also been a bit of an uptick in night life there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion