HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
pretty much covers reality.

As much as I hate to admit it, the BC NDP is a toxic brand.

This is why I want a BC liberal party akin to the federal party.

I believe the BC Liberals (LINOs) should be forced to change their name so BC Can see a new Liberal party.
I have to agree with all of that.

Maybe the Socreds will come back to life??!? LOL Bring back Bill Vander Zalm, the Jesse Ventura of BC.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Folks should keep in mind what the recent NDP convention actually concluded wrt the Leap Manifesto - that its provisions “can and should be debated and modified on their own merits and according to the needs of various communities and all parts of Canada.” That's pretty mushy and still a long way from party policy or election platforms. Things might become clearer if the party indeed swings to the left, but it's pretty mushy at this stage.
I am well aware but the fact it will hang over their head for 2 years makes things worse for them in many places. Basically it will be talked about for a couple years and be that thing that does not go away.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Actually, BC NDP leader Horgan told the G & M yesterday that he "agrees with parts of LM". Guy is caught between a rock and a hard place as the BC NDP is infested with hard-core enviro types. As a matter of fact, the two fed constituencies that introduced the LM at the NDP convention were Vancouver East and Toronto Danforth.

The BC NDP?

1. Leader Horgan has had numerous MSM documented "bozo eruptions" in the BC legislature - ya know the kind... face goes beat red, loses it... requires members of his own caucus to restrain him. Cue the "Angry John" meme.

Horgan has also made some bizarre comments to the BC MSM... "I have a nicer smile than Clark". "I also have a hard hat in my trunk". "I travelled up north and the people liked me". Don't know about you... but that's super-flaky. The guy is just not electable...
Some say the same things about Bernie Sanders, and yet he is in striking distance of knocking another smarmy female career politician off her perch. Voters are tiring of the same scripted pap coming from lifetime politicos, especially when they spout nothing but the same tired neocon ideology.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I have to agree with all of that.

Maybe the Socreds will come back to life??!? LOL Bring back Bill Vander Zalm, the Jesse Ventura of BC.
Crazy Bill?

thetyee

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Crazy Bill?
That fella is also now involved in his own "Leap" Manifesto. To wit:

1. A staunch believer in chemtrails:

Quote:
“Chemtrails Are Happening All Over The World” According to Former British Columbia Premier
http://www.collective-evolution.com/...umbia-premier/

2. Was on the news claiming that BC Hydro was involved in a conspiracy against him:

Quote:
In a letter published in Vancouver newspaper The Province on Wednesday, Vander Zalm said that "Hydro had its 'get-even' with me" by having the "biggest microwave installed in front of our house."

"We and our neighbours will suffer the effects of an ongoing barrage of radio waves," he wrote.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...mier-1.1415441

Ya just can't make this stuff up. "Leapy" manifesting itself in the twilight zone/outer limits.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
That fella is also now involved in his own "Leap" Manifesto. To wit:

1. A staunch believer in chemtrails:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...umbia-premier/

2. Was on the news claiming that BC Hydro was involved in a conspiracy against him:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...mier-1.1415441

Ya just can't make this stuff up. "Leapy" manifesting itself in the twilight zone/outer limits.
Man, this guy is a nut.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, BC NDP leader Horgan told the G & M yesterday that he "agrees with parts of LM". Guy is caught between a rock and a hard place as the BC NDP is infested with hard-core enviro types. As a matter of fact, the two fed constituencies that introduced the LM at the NDP convention were Vancouver East and Toronto Danforth.

The BC NDP?

1. Leader Horgan has had numerous MSM documented "bozo eruptions" in the BC legislature - ya know the kind... face goes beat red, loses it... requires members of his own caucus to restrain him. Cue the "Angry John" meme.

Horgan has also made some bizarre comments to the BC MSM... "I have a nicer smile than Clark". "I also have a hard hat in my trunk". "I travelled up north and the people liked me". Don't know about you... but that's super-flaky. The guy is just not electable.

2. BC NDP conventions oppose natural gas fracking. BC is Canada's second largest nat gas producer and it's mostly all unconventional (fracking);

3. A good chunk of the BC NDP caucus opposes nat gas fracking;

4. The NDP opposes BC Hydro's Site C dam under construction. Meanwhile the MB NDP gov't is also constructing large hydro-electric dams;

5. The NDP leader sent a letter a few weeks back to the CEAA opposing the $36 billion Petronas LNG project (against the wishes of even local FNs). As a matter of fact, the contents of the letter confirms that they oppose every LNG project in BC;

6. The BC NDP has opposed every highway/bridge project in BC (Port Mann Bridge, George Massey Tunnel, etc.);

7. The BC NDP opposes base metal mines throughout interior BC;

Frankly, the BC NDP seems to have been hi-jacked by the anti-development/hard-core enviro crowd. Seems that they have already adopted the LM. Quite well known out here in BC.

Hell, just yesterday the BC Building Trades unions held their annual convention in Victoria. A BC Liberal cabinet minister was a guest spokesperson and not only was warmly received with accolades but also received a standing ovation. The next guest speaker, a BC NDP critic, received an embarrassing public rebuke on the podium. Completely inconceivable until recently as the BCBT have been aligned with the NDP for decades.

And ya think that the BC NDP is gonna win next year? Don't know anyone else here in BC (media, etc.) that shares that view.

In fact, looks like the BC Libs will sweep the BC interior, Fraser Valley, Metro Vancouver suburbs, west/south side of Van City proper and a couple of seats on northern Van Isle.

OTOH, many have predicted that the BC NDP will see their worst blow-out since 1969 in terms of popular vote share/seats (aside from the 2001 debacle). Appears that they will be left with 2 West Kootenay seats/3 northern Surrey seats/New Westminster/south Burnaby, and seats in Van City's east side... along with most of the Van Isle seats. Even on Van Isle, Green leader Weaver is quite popular and may take a few seats from the NDP.

PS. BTW caveat emptor on these CA Premier "approval ratings" by Angus Reid. An opt-in online panel pollster and they have major panel recruiting problems here in BC as witnessed by the polling debacle from the May, 2013 BC election. As a matter of fact, the Angus Reid approval rating for Clark was lower in its poll the day before the BC election than it is today. Just sayin'.
I'd expect the NDP to be wiped out outside of Vancouver proper and southern Vancouver Island if the Leap Manifesto went ahead. How far into the suburbs of Greater Vancouver do the hard-left reach?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I'd expect the NDP to be wiped out outside of Vancouver proper and southern Vancouver Island if the Leap Manifesto went ahead. How far into the suburbs of Greater Vancouver do the hard-left reach?
Something tells me the Leap Manifesto will never be adopted by the NDP and will be forgotten about by the time the next BC election rolls around in 2017. It's a buzzword right now because there is nothing else to talk about, and because the media has conflated adoption of principles with an adoption of a resolution to debate its principles.

I expect that the big issue for the election in BC will be housing as that is all the media here seems to cover these days, for good reason. Most people in BC will place the blame for what is looking like an increasingly corrupt real estate industry that favours outside money, on a complacent, if not complicit, Provincial government. The Liberals are already wounded and becoming increasingly scandal plagued. Although by-elections aren't exactly favourable to governing parties, the Libs lost a safe riding in Coquitlam in a February by-election by a large margin. Clark's approval ratings have been bottom of the barrel for ages.

Who knows what will happen in BC provincial elections, but the Liberals are in rough shape right now. It doesn't help that the party most people associate them with on the federal level, the Conservatives, got obliterated in the province in October losing more votes in this province than the rest of the country combined.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Something tells me the Leap Manifesto will never be adopted by the NDP and will be forgotten about by the time the next BC election rolls around in 2017. It's a buzzword right now because there is nothing else to talk about, and because the media has conflated adoption of principles with an adoption of a resolution to debate its principles.

I expect that the big issue for the election in BC will be housing as that is all the media here seems to cover these days, for good reason. Most people in BC will place the blame for what is looking like an increasingly corrupt real estate industry that favours outside money, on a complacent, if not complicit, Provincial government. The Liberals are already wounded and becoming increasingly scandal plagued. Although by-elections aren't exactly favourable to governing parties, the Libs lost a safe riding in Coquitlam in a February by-election by a large margin. Clark's approval ratings have been bottom of the barrel for ages.

Who knows what will happen in BC provincial elections, but the Liberals are in rough shape right now. It doesn't help that the party most people associate them with on the federal level, the Conservatives, got obliterated in the province in October losing more votes in this province than the rest of the country combined.
If the other parties are smart, they'll make sure no one ever forgets about the LEAP manifesto...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The term hard-left is not apropos as it equates Marxism IMHO. I think eastern Montreal has such elements but not really anywhere else. And then ya have the centre-left and left.

Let me answer your question this way. During the May, 2013 BC election campaign, then BC NDP leader Dix came out on "Earth Day" with the BC NDP position of opposing the brownfield twinning of the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline into Vancouver - "the Kinder Morgan Surprise". Completely changed the election dynamic as the BC NDP opposed to economic development.

The result? The BC NDP lost popular vote share in every riding in interior BC, the Fraser Valley, and Metro Vancouver. As well as seats. The BC NDP only gained popular vote share and 2 seats within inner Van City proper where the hard-core enviro crowd is extant (as well as on southern Van Isle).

Since then, the BC NDP has opposed base metal/metallurgical coal mines, natural gas fracking, natural gas pipelines, LNG projects, BC Hydro's Site C dam - the list is never never-ending. Basically the BC NDP has been taken over by anti-development, enviro wing and it's positions/policies are de facto Leap Manifesto already. The BC NDP has been branded with the moniker "Dr. No".

Already numerous BC NDP MLAs have been "outed" supporting the Leap Manifesto in their Tweets. LM just politically boxes in the BC NDP even further.

And I don't think people will see the distinction between "adopting" and "debating" LM, nor between the NDP and the BC NDP. Basically, the BC NDP will only appeal to inner Van City proper folk and southern Van Isle folk chasing the Green vote these days. No other Canadian provincial NDP wing operates akin to the BC NDP.

And just a few days ago, the BC NDP leader told a Toronto audience and has re-iterated same here parts of their 2017 election platform that will contain additional program spending amounting to between $3 - 4 billion/annum. Obviously that would place BC into a major deficit situation. BC has had 4 budget surpluses surpluses in a row and now the highest provincial credit rating in Canada.

And this:

Quote:
British Columbia Is Suddenly Canada’s New Economic Powerhouse

Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 25, 2016 7:00AM EDT
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29386151/

If ya know how much damage the BC NDP did to BC's economy in the 1990's, ya will understand the "risk" factor of an BC NDP gov't that would jeopardize same. Even an Ipsos Reid poll from the year 2000, found only 20% of BCers believed the economy was "good" back then. Lowest in history, by far.

And "top of Mind" issues for BCers have always been... economy, jobs, taxation, fiscal management, health care. In that order.

IOW, the BC NDP has turned itself into a political disaster in the making. No doubt.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
And just a few days ago, the BC NDP leader told a Toronto audience and has re-iterated same here parts of their 2017 election platform that will contain additional program spending amounting to between $3 - 4 billion/annum. Obviously that would place BC into a major deficit situation. BC has had 4 budget surpluses surpluses in a row and now the highest provincial credit rating in Canada..
As seen in the last Federal election, the days of using the word "deficit" as a bogeyman are over. Joe Sixpack will say who cares what the province's credit rating is, Christy Clark still raised his Medical Services Premiums, the way she has every other year.

If you watch what is unfolding in Britain, it's easy to see how one week's crazed bearded lefty is next week's potential PM, if a scandal breaks on the Right. Horgan is not the ideal candidate, but Clark is not liked, it wouldn't take much to sway the voter.

Quote:
And this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29386151/

If ya know how much damage the BC NDP did to BC's economy in the 1990's, ya will understand the "risk" factor of an BC NDP gov't that would jeopardize same. Even an Ipsos Reid poll from the year 2000, found only 20% of BCers believed the economy was "good" back then. Lowest in history, by far.

And "top of Mind" issues for BCers have always been... economy, jobs, taxation, fiscal management, health care. In that order.

IOW, the BC NDP has turned itself into a political disaster in the making. No doubt.
I'd like to see more data on what field those jobs are in. The one-trick pony of construction or low-paying service jobs?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:26 AM

I'd be interested in hearing Stingray1966's take on this little bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
... the Libs lost a safe riding in Coquitlam in a February by-election by a large margin. Clark's approval ratings have been bottom of the barrel for ages.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Man, this guy is a nut.
VDZ spent too much time living in Fantasy Gardens, me thinks. He set off a chain reaction of terrible premiers. Mike Baldcourt (Rita Johnson doesn't count), and the extremely horrible Glen Clark.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing Stingray1966's take on this little bit:

Originally Posted by csbvan
... the Libs lost a safe riding in Coquitlam in a February by-election by a large margin. Clark's approval ratings have been bottom of the barrel for ages.
To preface, unlike other provinces, incumbent gov'ts rarely win by-elections here in BC. For whatever reason. To wit, over the past 50 years there have been 34 by-elections yet incumbent gov'ts have only won 4:

1. Cariboo (1966)
2. Kamloops (1981)
3. Vancouver-Point Grey (2011) - special circumstances - Clark elected new BC Lib leader/premier
4. Westside-Kelowna (2013) - special circumstances - Clark lost V-PG in 2013 general and elected incumbent vacated;

And yes, the BC NDP picked up the Coquitlam-Burke Mountain (eastern Metro Van) riding in a by-election in February, 2016 by 690 votes keeping with the historical BC by-election trend.

But a few key facts that the media have noted... the turnout was a record low 20% - the lowest in by-election history and ~13,000 actual voters from 2013 stayed home.

The demographics of Coquitlam-Burke mountain are clearly centre-right:

1. Westwood Plateau - large, higher-end SFD subdivision covering the slope of a mountainside;

2. Burke Mountain - higher-end major SFD and townhouse/rowhouse development occurring up mountainside - expected to house 40,000 over next few decades;

3. Coquitlam town centre - major brownfield condo tower development occurring here;

Almost all individual polling stations herein went BC Lib in 2013 and previously. Again centre-right demographics.

Back prior to the 2009 BC election, a by-election was called in Vancouver-Fairview. Flipped from BC Lib to BC NDP. Prior to the 2013 BC election, by-elections were called in Port-Moody Coquitlam and Chilliwack-Hope. Both flipped from BC Lib to BC NDP.

OTOH, in the following general elections they flipped back to the BC Libs.

As for Clark's "approval ratings"? Answered same in an earlier post. The other poster is likely referring to the bi-annual Angus Reid premier surveys:

Angus Reid is an opt-in online pollster and these types of pollsters have major panel recruiting problems here in BC. Remember the polling debacle arising from the outcome of the 2013 BC election aftermath?

Well, the 2 high-profile BC pollsters in 2013 (receiving all media attention) were opt-in online panel pollsters - Angus Reid and Ipsos Reid. And both released opinion polls the day before the May, 2013 election. And both mirrored each others results. And both showed a massive BC NDP landslide. And both had Clark's approval at 30%.

The actual election outcome? A BC Liberal landslide. A major brouhaha occurred in the Canadian polling industry as a result. Since then the BC major media no longer reports polling numbers here in BC after getting skunked. As a matter of fact, only some obscure opt-in online panel pollster (Insights West) even provides horse-race numbers in BC these days.

Have said it once during the federal election and will say it again. Opt-in online panel/IVR polling is just cheap polling junk - esp. here in BC. Decades long BC pollster Mustel (very accurate CATI pollster) abandoned the field in 2012 as it's just too expensive to provide freebies these days. The only pollster worth its grain of salt these days IMHO is Nanos (federally) a very accurate CATI federal pollster.

PS. 4 days before the 2013 BC election, the internal pollster for the BC Libs accurately predicted both the seat outcome (50) and popular vote shares. A very expensive CATI pollster. Alot of this stuff was given to the BC media post-2103 election. For a poli geek like me - was fascinating stuff.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
As seen in the last Federal election, the days of using the word "deficit" as a bogeyman are over. Joe Sixpack will say who cares what the province's credit rating is, Christy Clark still raised his Medical Services Premiums, the way she has every other year.
Gotta say that ya don't have a good political grasp of the "deficit" issue. Remember when the BC NDP won the 1996 election? With a lower popular vote share than the BC Libs? When Glen Clark stated that the budget was "balanced" during the election campaign when afterward it was disclosed that it was not? And the major media focus upon same? Remember the lawsuit launched by numerous 1996 BC NDP voters against the BC NDP due to fraudulent misrepresentation?

In any event, unlike yourself, I will postulate that a "balanced budget" is a major factor in each and every election, not only in BC, but across Canada.

Now back to the fed election. JT's platform was for a "deficit" of $10 billion/annum for additional "infrastructure" spending under current CA economic circumstances. Infrastructure spending as in highways, bridges, transit, sewer, water, etc. Hell, I have no problem with that. As a matter of fact, under GAAP accounting said spending would be wayyyyyyy less, in terms of the fed budget, considering that infrastructure is expensed over the term of the infrastructure's life-cycle under GAAP.

Yet, the actual fed budget was $30 billion... mostly on program spending due to further economic fallout. JT and the Liberals have sooooo much political capital right now, as a centrist party, that the Canadian public gives them considerable leeway.

Yet, on this specific issue on the fed budget, Canadians views in an opinion poll:

1. Federal gov't shouldn't be running deficits at all and should balance budget: 34%

2. Federal gov't should stick to its campaign promise of a $10 billion deficit to spend on infrastructure: 44%

3. Federal gov't should spend as much as needed even if it means significant deficits: 22%

Again, JT and the Liberals have huge political capital right now and won't impact them politically in the short term.

BTW, do ya really believe that BC ridings encompassing Kelowna, West Van, North Van, Richmond... even my riding of SS/WR voted (almost in my case) federal Liberal, which are all demographically centre-right 'cause they don't care about deficits? And 'cause these fed "blue" Liberal"/red tory switchers voted Liberal in 2015 that BC will go NDP? Haha. Man are ya mistaken. Like myself, among all others, we are all "blue" liberal/red tory voters and many switched in 2015. The NDP brand is toxic to these voters. Period.

As an aside, "blue" Liberal finance minister Morneau and other cab mems have convinced JT that both the Kinder Morgan twinning to the west coast as well as Energy East oil pipelines are critical in order to increase fed gov't revenues. And major fed political work behind the scenes is currently underway with the BC gov't in order to meet its 5 conditions. All opinion polls to date indicate that just ~23% here in BC "strongly" oppose the KM pipeline. The feds are working on the "moderately" opposed right now.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...es-on-pipeline

Grab your bag of popcorn as it's gonna be fun watchin' that one play out if the fed Libs, AB NDP, and BC Libs all come to an agreement on KM while the de facto "LM" BC NDP goes bonkers.

As for BC NDP leader John Horgan, they will introduce a universal $10/day child care platform for the next election. Back in 2013, same was already costed at ~$2 billion/annum. Back then the BC NDP stated: "Not an option - Just too expensive". Guess not expensive now. More annual $billion program spending will also be announced by the BC NDP. Again, even here, they are committing political suicide.

Former 1990's BC NDP leader/premier Mike Harcourt publicly stated back in 2012 to the BC NDP "You go left... you get left out". And boy the BC NDP is going left in 2017... and undoubtedly will lose a good chunk of centrist voters.

And ya do know why "red" federal Liberal type Harcourt quit the BC NDP in a nasty public dispute?

Quote:
"Harcourt said the party needs leadership that balances an understanding of the Lower Mainland with the resource realities of the province. “Vancouver is an important part of the province, but most communities, about 150 of them, survive on natural resources, and if you say, ‘You can’t log, you can’t mine, you can’t drill wells for gas or ranch,’ you’re ignoring 95 per cent of British Columbia and most of the communities that depend on natural resources.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle17751648/

And do you know why Mulcair, during the fed election, came out in favour of balanced budgets? Because the NDP has a noose around its neck as the "tax and spend party". Mulcair and his strategists wanted to allay those concerns in order to keep their lead in opinion polls back then. Simple.

Quote:
If you watch what is unfolding in Britain, it's easy to see how one week's crazed bearded lefty is next week's potential PM, if a scandal breaks on the Right. Horgan is not the ideal candidate, but Clark is not liked, it wouldn't take much to sway the voter.
Look. When Labour in Britain elected left/far-left Jeremy Corbyn as its leader it committed political suicide. Period. Forget about the current Cameron kerfuffle. During the next election, Labour will suffer major losses. Corbyn is just another Michael Foote from the 1980's - worst political defeat in British Labour history.

Same with Saunders in the U.S. We are just talking about the party nomination here akin to CA political conventions. Not the electorate at large on voting day. Completely different animal. And, for various reasons, Saunders is not electable south of the Mason-Dixon line in the U.S. in terms of the electoral college. Obama was the then JT in political terms back in 2008. So welcome to president Clinton in 2016. Republicans are fricked up and only Kasich would be competitive.

https://morningconsult.com/president...ge-projection/

Concerning political scandals... the major BC historical political scandals:

1. Socred Forest minister Robert Sommers charged with seven counts of receiving bribes and convicted in 1957. Socreds won another majority gov't in following 1960 election.

2. Post-1979 Socred "Dirty Tricks" scandal - largest political scandal to date involving "Gracies Finger" (inappropriately influencing electoral boundaries commission), cabinet ministers (Peter Hyndman) dining at the public expense on high-priced Pouilly Fuisse, fake Socred letters to the editor using prominent BC NDP names, etc., etc. Received major media coverage. In the subsequent 1983 BC election, Socreds received even an even larger majority than in 1979;

3. Post-1991 BC NDP gov't - major scandal involving decades long Nanaimo Commonwealth Holding Society - $millions siphoned from BC charities into BC NDP bank accounts. Criminal charges laid. BC NDP re-elected in 1996.

4. The Glen Clark deck scandal - many prominent BC NDPers involved in shady bingo licence dealings albeit one was charged for offering bribe to Glen Clark.

5. Even prior to the May, 2013 BC election, the ethno-gate scandal received major media attention for a prolonged period of time. Election result saw the BC Libs increase their seats over 2009.

As long-time BC political analyst Keith Baldrey has noted on many occasions... the BC electorate is relatively immune to scandals when it comes to casting their ballot at the ballot box. Political reality.

PS. Horgan is the biggest idiot/buffoon that the BC NDP has ever elected BC NDP leader. Even worse than Bob Skelly back in the mid-1980's. Guy makes public statements in certain interior BC communities/ later causes local public outrage/ later writes letter to the editor of local paper apologizing. Good grief.

Last edited by Stingray2004; Apr 14, 2016 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:15 AM

Great points about the "deficit." Most Canadians probably don't care too much about a deficit right now but what they do care about is being delivered one that's three times higher than promised and most of it not being spent on critical infrastructure. The backroom party people are smart to be pushing for pipeline approvals, etc. to bring in more revenue so they can get ahead of what could be a big deficit problem for them in a few years.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Gotta say that ya don't have a good political grasp of the "deficit" issue. Remember when the BC NDP won the 1996 election? With a lower popular vote share than the BC Libs? When Glen Clark stated that the budget was "balanced" during the election campaign when afterward it was disclosed that it was not? And the major media focus upon same? Remember the lawsuit launched by numerous 1996 BC NDP voters against the BC NDP due to fraudulent misrepresentation?

In any event, unlike yourself, I will postulate that a "balanced budget" is a major factor in each and every election, not only in BC, but across Canada.

Now back to the fed election. JT's platform was for a "deficit" of $10 billion/annum for additional "infrastructure" spending under current CA economic circumstances. Infrastructure spending as in highways, bridges, transit, sewer, water, etc. Hell, I have no problem with that. As a matter of fact, under GAAP accounting said spending would be wayyyyyyy less, in terms of the fed budget, considering that infrastructure is expensed over the term of the infrastructure's life-cycle under GAAP.

Yet, the actual fed budget was $30 billion... mostly on program spending due to further economic fallout. JT and the Liberals have sooooo much political capital right now, as a centrist party, that the Canadian public gives them considerable leeway.

Yet, on this specific issue on the fed budget, Canadians views in an opinion poll:

1. Federal gov't shouldn't be running deficits at all and should balance budget: 34%

2. Federal gov't should stick to its campaign promise of a $10 billion deficit to spend on infrastructure: 44%

3. Federal gov't should spend as much as needed even if it means significant deficits: 22%

Again, JT and the Liberals have huge political capital right now and won't impact them politically in the short term.

BTW, do ya really believe that BC ridings encompassing Kelowna, West Van, North Van, Richmond... even my riding of SS/WR voted (almost in my case) federal Liberal, which are all demographically centre-right 'cause they don't care about deficits? And 'cause these fed "blue" Liberal"/red tory switchers voted Liberal in 2015 that BC will go NDP? Haha. Man are ya mistaken. Like myself, among all others, we are all "blue" liberal/red tory voters and many switched in 2015. The NDP brand is toxic to these voters. Period.

As an aside, "blue" Liberal finance minister Morneau and other cab mems have convinced JT that both the Kinder Morgan twinning to the west coast as well as Energy East oil pipelines are critical in order to increase fed gov't revenues. And major fed political work behind the scenes is currently underway with the BC gov't in order to meet its 5 conditions. All opinion polls to date indicate that just ~23% here in BC "strongly" oppose the KM pipeline. The feds are working on the "moderately" opposed right now.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...es-on-pipeline

Grab your bag of popcorn as it's gonna be fun watchin' that one play out if the fed Libs, AB NDP, and BC Libs all come to an agreement on KM while the de facto "LM" BC NDP goes bonkers.

As for BC NDP leader John Horgan, they will introduce a universal $10/day child care platform for the next election. Back in 2013, same was already costed at ~$2 billion/annum. Back then the BC NDP stated: "Not an option - Just too expensive". Guess not expensive now. More annual $billion program spending will also be announced by the BC NDP. Again, even here, they are committing political suicide.

Former 1990's BC NDP leader/premier Mike Harcourt publicly stated back in 2012 to the BC NDP "You go left... you get left out". And boy the BC NDP is going left in 2017... and undoubtedly will lose a good chunk of centrist voters.

And ya do know why "red" federal Liberal type Harcourt quit the BC NDP in a nasty public dispute?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle17751648/

And do you know why Mulcair, during the fed election, came out in favour of balanced budgets? Because the NDP has a noose around its neck as the "tax and spend party". Mulcair and his strategists wanted to allay those concerns in order to keep their lead in opinion polls back then. Simple.

Look. When Labour in Britain elected left/far-left Jeremy Corbyn as its leader it committed political suicide. Period. Forget about the current Cameron kerfuffle. During the next election, Labour will suffer major losses. Corbyn is just another Michael Foote from the 1980's - worst political defeat in British Labour history.

Same with Saunders in the U.S. We are just talking about the party nomination here akin to CA political conventions. Not the electorate at large on voting day. Completely different animal. And, for various reasons, Saunders is not electable south of the Mason-Dixon line in the U.S. in terms of the electoral college. Obama was the then JT in political terms back in 2008. So welcome to president Clinton in 2016. Republicans are fricked up and only Kasich would be competitive.

https://morningconsult.com/president...ge-projection/

Concerning political scandals... the major BC historical political scandals:

1. Socred Forest minister Robert Sommers charged with seven counts of receiving bribes and convicted in 1957. Socreds won another majority gov't in following 1960 election.

2. Post-1979 Socred "Dirty Tricks" scandal - largest political scandal to date involving "Gracies Finger" (inappropriately influencing electoral boundaries commission), cabinet ministers (Peter Hyndman) dining at the public expense on high-priced Pouilly Fuisse, fake Socred letters to the editor using prominent BC NDP names, etc., etc. Received major media coverage. In the subsequent 1983 BC election, Socreds received even an even larger majority than in 1979;

3. Post-1991 BC NDP gov't - major scandal involving decades long Nanaimo Commonwealth Holding Society - $millions siphoned from BC charities into BC NDP bank accounts. Criminal charges laid. BC NDP re-elected in 1996.

4. The Glen Clark deck scandal - many prominent BC NDPers involved in shady bingo licence dealings albeit one was charged for offering bribe to Glen Clark.

5. Even prior to the May, 2013 BC election, the ethno-gate scandal received major media attention for a prolonged period of time. Election result saw the BC Libs increase their seats over 2009.

As long-time BC political analyst Keith Baldrey has noted on many occasions... the BC electorate is relatively immune to scandals when it comes to casting their ballot at the ballot box. Political reality.

PS. Horgan is the biggest idiot/buffoon that the BC NDP has ever elected BC NDP leader. Even worse than Bob Skelly back in the mid-1980's. Guy makes public statements in certain interior BC communities/ later causes local public outrage/ later writes letter to the editor of local paper apologizing. Good grief.
Is there any risk of Christy Clark being outflanked on her right? That would probably only be an issue in the BC Peace River region and parts of the Interior.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 1:40 AM

Charlie Angus is running for leader. He should have a lot of appeal to the traditional NDP base - he can appeal to both blue collar workers in the hinterland and to urban progressives.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...leadership-bid

However his French is said to be subpar, even though he represents a NE Ontario that is about 30% Franco-Ontarian.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 10:52 PM

Angus steps down as caucus chair and indigenous affairs critic:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...-run-1.3863515

Peter Julian also stepped down from his position as House leader.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Charlie Angus is running for leader. He should have a lot of appeal to the traditional NDP base - he can appeal to both blue collar workers in the hinterland and to urban progressives.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...leadership-bid

However his French is said to be subpar, even though he represents a NE Ontario that is about 30% Franco-Ontarian.
He is my MP. His biggest problem is definitely that he can't speak French well. If he could then he would be the next leader without a doubt. He is quite popular among Francophones where I live because almost all of them speak English but he would have difficulties with most Quebeckers. He is extremely well respected among Indigenous Canadians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada