HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Arch on Ninth at Aura in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

View Poll Results: 225 - 6th Ave: Like it, love it, hate it, meh?
Like it 85 66.93%
Love it 11 8.66%
Meh... 26 20.47%
Don't like it 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:54 PM
Editor

225 - 6th Ave: Like it, love it, hate it, meh?

225 - 6th ave seems to be a polarizing design. Some love it, other don't. It seems like one camp likes the simplicity of the design and the materials, while the other camp wants something more unique. What camp are you in?

Sorry to add another thread regarding 225 - 6th ave. I meant to add a poll in the other one, but accidentally created the thread without putting in the poll to so I'm creating this thread. Perhaps the mods can add the posts from the other thread into this one?

The rendering. Keep in mind there are more renderings to come out later that show more of the street level winter garden design.

225 - 6th Ave by Calgary Renders, on Flickr

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Dec 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:58 PM

meh. fairly uninteresting boxes. the client obviously has cost issues and the architects hands were tied. i would take this over nothing.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:10 PM

I vote meh.

I think we can probably delete the other thread...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:19 PM
Editor

I voted 'love it'. This is my type of building. It could have had a little more imagination, but I like the simple sleek designs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:20 PM

I voted against it, not because I don't think it's a nice proposal, but because I think something better HAS to go here. As they state in the article, it is the "geographic" center of downtown, and we only get one chance to do this and get a truly magnificent design. I'm also getting so sick of twins in Calgary, it's comical. We might become the laughing stock of the skyscraper world. Can't come up with different and unique designs so just double the plan, one higher than the other, maybe twist one tower so it's reversed or at a right angle from the other and be done with it! Certainly there has to be something better than the current proposal. I'm all for two towers on the block but I want more height on the first-built tower, even if that means we have to wait for the second.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:24 PM

Yeah, I'm sick of twins too. It seems Calgary is cursed in that regard. we can only hope that some day in the future some of the twin complexes might turn one tower into a condo or something, and a few changes get made to the building.

Regarding the design of the building. It is the geographical center of downtown, but that doesn't change my vote. I'm voting strictly on the design itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
I voted against it, not because I don't think it's a nice proposal, but because I think something better HAS to go here. As they state in the article, it is the "geographic" center of downtown, and we only get one chance to do this and get a truly magnificent design. I'm also getting so sick of twins in Calgary, it's comical. We might become the laughing stock of the skyscraper world. Can't come up with different and unique designs so just double the plan, one higher than the other, maybe twist one tower so it's reversed or at a right angle from the other and be done with it! Certainly there has to be something better than the current proposal. I'm all for two towers on the block but I want more height on the first-built tower, even if that means we have to wait for the second.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:26 PM
The City That Moves

100% thumbs down on this one. Calgary has already mastered the "Super Transnational United Amalgamated Corporation" look. I would rather see Calgary's skyline to take cues for example from things like First Nations or the Rocky Mountains (things that make Calgary distinct), rather than global architectural trends. Great cities aren't defined by world-architecture, they define it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:27 PM

I don't love it, but I do like it. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
100% thumbs down on this one. Calgary has already mastered the "Super Transnational United Amalgamated Corporation" look. I would rather see Calgary's skyline to take cues for example from things like First Nations or the Rocky Mountains, rather than global architectural trends. Great cities aren't defined by world-architecture, they define it.
It's a privately funded building so it has to work for the developer also. Sure it would be cool to see a building shaped like a lizard but in a free enterprise market it ain't gonna work.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:30 PM

I like the idea that if it were a bit taller (10-20%) then it would make a really nice backdrop to the Bow especially when you're looking at the city from Bridgeland. The city should offer them slight tax deduction or construction tax reduction in exchange for at best improving the design and height and at worst just increasing the height. Remember, our skylines best feature is how it steps back from the river, it would be great if we could maintain this effect.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:52 PM

I voted that I like it, that said, it wouldn't hurt Brookfield to use a little more imagination on the tower portion. The materials look great, and I like the crown, the tower could use just a little extra...something.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
It's a privately funded building so it has to work for the developer also. Sure it would be cool to see a building shaped like a lizard but in a free enterprise market it ain't gonna work.
EAP is a great example of a simple building that makes a nod to the local geography. That building get's +1 for being distinctly Calgarian.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Also: the Bow!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:20 PM

I voted "Meh". Nice enough towers, wrong location.
Agree with others about not being "Calgary" enough. These towers could be plopped down on any block in the world.

What about actual tapered towers that narrow towards the top?

Or what about scrap the smaller twin, and make 1 larger tower? Turn the other side into a museum, convention centre or theatre.

Take it one further, and add a true twin (in a creepy, modern WTC way):

Or what about move them to the railroad tracks, and put a grand single tower in their place, a la Transbay Tower from San Francisco?

(I'm obsessed with this tower).

Original image from Brookfield, hacked up by me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:28 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I would like to see more renderings. As Bigtime pointed out, this project is going to be all about the little details. It won't be mind blasting like The Bow

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

You know I love you bro, but then you go do that and I can't help but hate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Agree with others about not being "Calgary" enough. These towers could be plopped down on any block in the world.

Or what about scrap the smaller twin, and make 1 larger tower? Turn the other side into a museum, convention centre or theatre.

Or what about move them to the railroad tracks, and put a grand single tower in their place, a la Transbay Tower from San Francisco?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:40 PM

Frankly, this tower seems no better than any of the other boring office boxes put up in Toronto in the last ten years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 PM

I like it. I like the height. I also do think it's a classy, attractive building (pending the details, at least). That said, I can't help but agree with those saying that the site is befitting of something a bit "more". The Transbay rendering CAD did only serves to strengthen that sentiment in me...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 PM

The tapered design looks much better, too bad they didn't go that route. The SOM proposal would be an amazing addition to Calgary's skyline, would counter the Bow's bulk by being tall and slender.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post

Now that you've shown me that, I must admit I feel worse about their design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates