HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:51 PM

Another church decides 'to hell' with architectural significant building

Church has cost of cross to bear
Central Lutheran is told to rebuild its historic tower or face fines
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
TOM HALLMAN JR.
The Oregonian

For more than 50 years, members of Central Lutheran Church took pride in the wooden cross and bell tower that soared above their building and became one of Northeast Portland's most distinctive landmarks.

Now, it's a financial time bomb.

The trouble began a few years ago after the church finished an extensive renovation and discovered the 100-foot tower and cross were full of dry rot.

The church -- on the edge of the Irvington neighborhood at Northeast 21st Avenue and Schuyler Street -- spent more than a year trying to figure out what to do, said Alan Gullixson, church member and the former chairman of the property committee.

The renovation cost more than $1.2 million, and the budget was tapped out. Leaders, though, worried the church would be liable if the tower collapsed and someone got hurt.

"I know the building is designated as historic and there are tight restrictions on what we can do," Gullixson said. "We found out it could take two years to get permits to tear that tower down. It was too risky for us."

In spring 2005, church leaders decided to demolish the structure without permits and be done with it. "What were they going to do?" Gullixson asked. "Fine a church?"

Well, yes.

The church and tower were designed by famed architect Pietro Belluschi. When the church was completed in 1950, more than 4,000 people -- including Portland's mayor -- dropped by for a look. So it made sense that when the tower and cross disappeared, neighbors noticed.

"We started getting calls," said Hazel Larpenteur, head of the tower restoration project. "People wanted to know what we were going to do about the cross. I discovered that quite a few architects live in the neighborhood. Then someone called the city to complain about what we'd done."

Gullixson remembers getting the official call.

"They told us we'd done a terrible thing," he said. "We had to replace the tower and cross, and the plans had to be approved by the city. Because it was historic, it had to look exactly like it was when it was built."

The church has the original Belluschi blueprints, but with today's building codes, church leaders had decided it was too expensive to rebuild the structure.

"We had no plans to restore the tower," Gullixson said. "The city forced us to do it. We came up with plans that were finally approved. We figure it's going to cost about $150,000."

So far, the church has raised $50,000. It recently published a book about the church and its history by longtime member Margaret Moilien, 90, whose husband was a pastor for 13 years.

The church just started selling the book, with all proceeds going to the tower fund. It printed 300 copies for sale at $20 each. Even if the book sells out, it would only bring in enough money to cover nails.

And the clock is ticking.

"The city is insisting that we file for building permits by June 30 or be fined," Larpenteur said. "We got a letter that says the fine is graduated. If we don't respond to the edict, the fine imposed could run to $1,000 a day."

She has applied to foundations to raise money, pushing the historic angle, but has been turned down because they don't want to donate to churches.

She said she plans to send notices to former church members to solicit donations. Like many urban churches, Central lost members as the suburbs grew. In the 1960s, Larpenteur said, the church had 2,400 members. Today it has 500.

In hindsight, church leaders wish Central hadn't become a city-designated historic landmark. Gullixson's research shows the matter was approved in an ordinance passed by the City Council in July 1970. In addition to Central, 14 buildings and the St. Johns Bridge received the official status.

"We didn't ask to be a landmark," Gullixson said. "We didn't oppose it. We had time to appeal and get off the list, but no one did. At the time, everyone thought it was a good idea. Who knew it would cause such a problem?"

Nicholas Starin, a planner with the Portland Bureau of Planning's Historic Resources Program, said it's important to preserve Central's original architecture because Belluschi is "an internationally known architect whose work is important."

"There are historic buildings and fine architecture scattered throughout the city," Starin said. "They add to the fabric of the city and contribute to the special character of a neighborhood."

Belluschi was a pioneer in the field, said Robert Frasca, an architect with the Portland firm Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Partnership. Central, Frasca said, was a "beautiful building" when designed and built and remains an architectural gem.

Taking the long view in all this is Moilien, who has experienced much of what life offers, both good and bad. In the past few years, she has had a leg amputated and has gone blind in one eye. She spent eight years writing the book, which she said isn't a masterpiece but a labor of love, a gift to the church she considers her second family.

She's been a member since 1958 and has lived in several places in the general neighborhood, always within sight of the cross and tower.

Somehow, she knows, the money will be found and the structure will once again soar over the church. When the Columbus Day Storm roared into Portland in 1962, Moilien remembers watching the tower and cross take a beating.

"The cross and tower swayed back and forth," she said. "It's withstood many things."

Tom Hallman Jr.: 503 221-8224; tomhallman@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...120.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 9:38 PM

Pics from today's Oregonian.

Undated photograph of the church tower of the Central Lutheran Church, 1820 N.E. 21st Ave. (handout).

Central Lutheran Church, 1820 N.E. 21st Ave. Photographed Tuesday 2/26/08. (Fredrick D. Joe)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 9:53 PM

The church is totally wrong on this issue, but man this is another example of how over rated Pietro Belluschi has become. How creative, a wood box with a cross on top. Looking at that photo i can almost see the hand of God. Sheesh does that inspire anyone? I'd take any church spire in Europe of this boxy fence post.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 11:06 PM

^regardless, this kind of arrogance makes me boil...
Quote:
"I know the building is designated as historic and there are tight restrictions on what we can do," Gullixson said. "We found out it could take two years to get permits to tear that tower down. It was too risky for us."

In spring 2005, church leaders decided to demolish the structure without permits and be done with it. "What were they going to do?" Gullixson asked. "Fine a church?"
Ohhhh, that's right, you're a church...carry on.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 11:47 PM

This piece from today's "Portland Architecture" site:

"Belluschi, as most readers know, is by far the most significant architect Portland has ever produced. His Equitable Building downtown was the world's first modern glass-and-aluminum clad office building. His Portland Art Museum design counted Frank Lloyd Wright among its biggest fans. He also co-designed New York's Julliard School at Lincoln Center and, with the legendary Walter Gropius, the landmark Pan-Am building."

http://portlandarchitecture.com/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 11:58 PM

What idiots! They blasted through how much in renovations but hadn't resolved or budgeted for a major problem like that? Somebody ain't tellin the truf. To tag on to Marks comment above, Ohhhh, that's right, you're a church...since when does truth have anything to do with it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:26 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:01 AM

i'm glad to see this church will have to comply with the laws of man. perhaps their invisible bearded man in teh sky can help them out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:05 AM

^ Yikes. A church makes a decision (that i don't agree with either) & you poke fun at God for being on their side? I've never understood how people without faith always assume the worst of God & NEVER the best. End of rant.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:17 AM

I'd seen the original drawings of this church and thought that they looked interesting. Then I go and look on Google street-view and thought: "YUCK!" Truncating the tower makes it even worse. The colors are awful. Very drab and dark on a typical overcast day.

But...

It is Pietro Belluschi. He did go through a big "Northwestern-style" phase, using local timber and fusing Japanese, Scandinavian, and local woodcraft design together into a modern design. That's evident of this work, it looks like something that you'd see north of Helsinki or Stockholm. I also think that he broke ground with his churches here, as many built beforehand were either neoclassical, gothic, or steepled colonial affairs. I think his Zion Lutheran (by Civic Stadium) is much better. I imagine that the fights he had with Zion's congregation over the design were also repeated (or started) here.

I guess that you could say that it is kinda crappy that they just knocked the tower down, but it was just going to fall over anyway. The city should make a special case for this, as the old tower was a public safety hazzard, and allow them the time to raise the money. Pushing like this is not going to get either side anything that they or everyone else concerned, wants. I for one am for getting the tower back on, as it makes the building a little less ugly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:35 AM

^the problem is they BROKE THE LAW. They thought the two year process would be too inconvenient. Now, I didn't inspect the building, but I do think a tower that stood for 50 years probably had an easy (and safe) two years in it. As they went through the process of getting permits for demolition, it is very possible the community would have stepped forward in protest, but many people would have opened their wallets too to restore the tower.

A residential land owner can't cut down a 'significant' tree without permission. To structurally alter a historic landmark building because the process was too daunting and they KNEW the neighborhood would object, that's atrocious and I think they should be held as an example. Otherwise, there will be no point in having historical landmarks if the owner can altered the landmark at their whim.

I do agree with allowing the church additional time to get a replacement tower built, as long as they show the city a plan to raise the funds and the process is reviewed every 3 or 6 months.

Okstate, that was a joke. But what I found kinda off was the accusation that bvpcvm is without faith. I actually have no idea where he stands on life and spiritual manners but I take offense because I have faith in humanity, but not necessarily a faith in the Christian form of God. I have faith in myself, and hope that there is a spiritual life after death. In Portland, you will encounter many people of many beliefs. Best to know that we are a city of self-faith and accusing us of having no-faith, well, that just isn't cool. Like Christians dog on people for having the belief in a buddha, the Dalai Lama, or the several daily prayer to Allah; I think there is a respectful ragging on the Christians here as well...free speech both ways, no?

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Mar 6, 2008 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:29 AM

Weird.. I lived blocks from there and never noticed the place.. and I tend to notice everything, like what plants are in a yard and the furniture in people's home I can see from the window. I think I subconsciously block out churches from my sight.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:31 AM

^ Mark, no need to inform me of the joke. I am well aware of how amusing it must have been. I felt my reference to faith was quite clear, however, I do apologize if I insulted your "faith in yourself". I agree with that form of faith as well as you. Might I ask if you were suggesting the entire city of Portland is uniquely a city of self-faith..when compared to elsewhere? Also, did you lump "Christians" as a whole for dogging people's beliefs? That is not a Christian philosophy but rather a wolf in sheeps clothing. As for the "respectful ragging", that was & is my intention to maintain. Just FYI everyone. I am not a holy roller by any means, and I would stand up for anyone or anything that has conviction worth defending.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Okstate, that was a joke. But what I found kinda off was the accusation that bvpcvm is without faith. I actually have no idea where he stands on life and spiritual manners but I take offense because I have faith in humanity, but not necessarily a faith in the Christian form of God.
haha, thanks for leaping to my defense, but, believe me, i am absolutely without any "faith". and i'm sick of apologizing to people who believe in fairy tales for not believing in them.

ok, i'm done. let's get back to our nerdly duty of talking about buildings and debating beluschi.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate
Mark, no need to inform me of the joke. I am well aware of how amusing it must have been.
actually it wasn't that funny, like a two second snicker.

Quote:
I felt my reference to faith was quite clear, however, I do apologize if I insulted your "faith in yourself"
Quote:
I've never understood how people without faith
yep, it was pretty clear

Quote:
Might I ask if you were suggesting the entire city of Portland is uniquely a city of self-faith..when compared to elsewhere?
pretty much. Well, moreso than other places. Just like we love our indy stores, music, beer, coffee, designers, and markets (to name a few) we also have an independent religious community (would make sense, no?). The biggest churches in Portland aren't the fundamentalist churches, and that is a HUGE difference than most other cities.

Quote:
Also, did you lump "Christians" as a whole for dogging people's beliefs? That is not a Christian philosophy but rather a wolf in sheeps clothing.
hmmm, like the conservative republicans aren't trying to tie Obama and the Muslim religion together to stir up fear in the christian community; and Oregon 'christians' aren't trying to remove civil unions that our legislature passed, in order to pass a referendum that will appease the christian God. I could go on.

Actions speak louder than words and right now the 'mainstream' christians have hijacked the philosophical belief and presented it as an us or them, good or evil fight.

Quote:
Just FYI everyone. I am not a holy roller by any means, and I would stand up for anyone or anything that has conviction worth defending.
You seem like an upstanding guy. We can all judge what is important to ourselves. I hope that doesn't cross over to judging what is right for others because freedom of self expression is number one in my book, even when their point isn't worth defending...like the neo-Nazi peeps.

They have a right to speak, I have a right to show up and speak too.

BTW: I want to state I hold no ill feelings towards anyone that posts here and engages in debate. In fact, when I feel like I should check the forum every 20 minutes to see what some else said, it's exciting. Don't want to get too off topic here and I hope there are NO bruised feelings. I truly think Okstate is an upstanding guy and can't wait for his, and his family's contribution once he/they get to Portland.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Mar 6, 2008 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxskyline View Post

I guess that you could say that it is kinda crappy that they just knocked the tower down, but it was just going to fall over anyway. The city should make a special case for this, as the old tower was a public safety hazzard, and allow them the time to raise the money. Pushing like this is not going to get either side anything that they or everyone else concerned, wants. I for one am for getting the tower back on, as it makes the building a little less ugly.
Kinda crappy? No, it was illegal and they shouldn't be allowed any special case. The just spent 1.2 million on a renovation, they should have fixed it then with some of that money if they knew it was a public safety hazzard. Trust me, they knew it.

Last edited by sopdx; Mar 7, 2008 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:30 PM

To me it would be counterproductive to fine a member-supported non-profit group, even if they are at fault.

You know, if it's made out of ordinary wood planks why not dig up the old plans and make a new tower at a later date? Its not as if priceless hand-made details produced by long-dead master craftsmen are being lost forever. Not the end of the world

Last edited by zaphod; Mar 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:46 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
The church is totally wrong on this issue, but man this is another example of how over rated Pietro Belluschi has become. How creative, a wood box with a cross on top. Looking at that photo i can almost see the hand of God. Sheesh does that inspire anyone? I'd take any church spire in Europe of this boxy fence post.
Hmm, not much of a fan of Modernism? Belluschi was one of the founders of the NW Modernist style, didn't ya know?

Cheerio.

Last edited by zilfondel; Mar 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 11:17 PM
Now in Portland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
To me it would be counterproductive to fine a member-supported non-profit group, even if they are at fault.
Of course, if the city were to just give the church a "pass," it would set a precedent that non-profits could ignore these sorts of regulations without any consequences. That would put many other historic buildings at risk. And just wait until somebody else who gets fined for doing work without a permit claims the city is showing favoritism toward religious organizations....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
Of course, if the city were to just give the church a "pass," it would set a precedent that non-profits could ignore these sorts of regulations without any consequences. That would put many other historic buildings at risk. And just wait until somebody else who gets fined for doing work without a permit claims the city is showing favoritism toward religious organizations....
There's current federal law that provides special rights to religious organizations relating to land use issues. It's the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA). There's quite a bit of case law on this already, as religious organizations ate it up after it was signed by the bushwhacker. This situation may not be protected by RLUIPA since the church allowed the historic landmark status to apply to its building and thus agreed to the responsibilities of that designation. However, there are several related cases of churches being forcibly assigned landmark status and RLUIPA became a central arguing point. I'm sure this church is aware of RLUIPA and they may have weighed the unpopularity of denigrating a Portland landmark with their "get out of jail free" card versus doing things the "right" way as any other person, organization or business would be required to do. RLUIPA is great for churches that don't give a damn about the community they live in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues