HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:32 PM

Random Conversations

Since we were going WAY off topic on "The Slater" thread, as canabiz and rocketship mentioned which (entirely my fault), I thought I would start a new thread for random conversations. The idea of a condo life in Ottawa thread is good, but this one might avoid other people starting a bunch of threads for simple questions or whatever.

Moderators, feel free to turn it into a Downtown vs. Suburbs or Condo vs. Freehold if it's deemed more appropriate.

So here is the continuation from "The Slater":

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
What and where is your job, and do you need a car for work?

My best suggestion is to decide based on location. If you're single, work somewhere close to do downtown that a car is unnecessary I would recommend that. Not having to own and use a car means you're saving thousands of dollars every year that can go towards other expenses, but not having to commute far means you have more free time to do the things you want to do. And if you choose downtown you're conveniently situated between most neighbourhoods you might want to visit.

Obviously, I would choose to live downtown because you get so much more living centrally, as it seems like you are leaning towards.
I work in Constitution Square, so no matter where I'd live on the Transitway/Confederation Line, the bus/train could pick me up and drop me off at the door.

Why do I want to keep my car; for reasons I realize are not very logical. My parents bought it new in 2005, and I've been driving it for 7 years since it had a little under 17,000 km (now over 196,000 km). It always offered reliable service, never had any problems with it whatsoever (knock on wood). Because it has been such an important part of my life, I want to drive until the bitter end.

Again, I know it is not a logical reason, maybe asinine for a lot of you, but no one will ever convince me of parting with it until the day I have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
A big reason we have not even thought about condos. Condo fee, to me, is just another tax and something we don't have much control over. It's fine and dandy if you want to let other people shovel the snow and mow the lawn to free you up for other endeavours but expect to pay for the convenience.
And that's also why I don't want to live in a condo forever.

At this point in my life, I would love to experience living downtown. The noise, the lights, the entertainment, the subway (in 3 years), being able to drink with friends without worrying about how I'll get home, not wasting 1.5-2 hours a day on the road.

In a few years, if I find someone to settle down with and have a couple kids, I would want to move in a nice bungalow in the burbs (likely 60's era neighborhood; smaller houses, bigger lots and more character IMO, closer to downtown). I know an older home requires a lot of maintenance, but I enjoy home improvement projects.

Maybe when my hypothetical wife and I retire, we might move to a condo just outside of downtown to save on all the work and maintenance associated with owning a house.

As for condo fees, I guess one could plan to buy new and move out a few years later before they skyrocket to something resembling car payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
There's actually no written rule that in order to raise children you have to be in a house. All around the world and in Canada even we have lived mostly in apartments and raised kids there, with no problems regarding the child's development. My sister and I grew up in a 1 bedroom + den condo until out early teen years and had no problems. It's really just a poor excuse for continued suburban sprawl.

The idea that you have to raise children in a house is outdated, and was created by the American government to encourage suburbanization (for population dispersal, to boost the economy by convincing people to buy land, cars and everything to fill it).
And your right, but it might be that we all have are own realities based on our childhood. Maybe some nostalgia in there. You were raised in a 1 bedroom +den apartment, so you could see it being done easily. I was raised in a 60s bungalow in Gatineau with a big backyard and quiet streets. I remember walking the neighborhood at Halloween and the big Christmas parties at our house. That's my reality. We all have different views on how to do things, and none of them are wrong.

All that to say, my current plans could all go up into smokes if my speculative wife has completely different ideas of how to plan out our life. God forbid she drags me to the country.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 7:29 PM

It seems to me the big question you might want to consider is where do you think condo prices are going.

If you think they're going to stay the same or go down, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to buy a condo. You can rent a place really close to your office (the Minto building next store, or the various high-rises a few blocks away) for probably less than you would pay in mortgage, condo fees, taxes, etc. and still be close to the office and within stumbling distance of most bars.

If you think prices are going up then it makes sense to buy even a small condo and build up equity faster than you could probably save money.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why do I want to keep my car; for reasons I realize are not very logical. My parents bought it new in 2005, and I've been driving it for 7 years since it had a little under 17,000 km (now over 196,000 km). It always offered reliable service, never had any problems with it whatsoever (knock on wood). Because it has been such an important part of my life, I want to drive until the bitter end.

Again, I know it is not a logical reason, maybe asinine for a lot of you, but no one will ever convince me of parting with it until the day I have no choice.

And that's also why I don't want to live in a condo forever.

At this point in my life, I would love to experience living downtown. The noise, the lights, the entertainment, the subway (in 3 years), being able to drink with friends without worrying about how I'll get home, not wasting 1.5-2 hours a day on the road.

Very similar situation to me. I bought into tamaracks wellington project and got a parking space as I own a car and do not need to make any more payments on it. I probably won't drive a ton as the location is way more central than where I'm living now in the burbs, but it's very nice to have it as an option and I personally feel it's a necessity when going for groceries or going for day trips, visiting friends and family in the burbs, etc. It also helps with resell vałue as ottawa is a driving city and just having the parking space as an option is very attractive for buyers. I've been driving my whole adult life and I just can't see myself giving it up yet. I understand how a lot of people don't need a car in a central location but for me I do at the moment.

I could have bought for a lot cheaper in the burbs, or even rented a place for cheaper, but I too want to experience the more downtowny lifestyle. And I wanted a newer place with quality finishes and the like. I Personally had no interest in a lot of the places that were up for rent, and the quality rentals similar to the one I bought were in roughly the same price range as a mortage payment plus comdo fees plus property tax.

Just saving time on the commute to work, which is basically two hours per day, will make my life easier and happier.

I also was raised ina bigger family home so that is my experience. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable raising a family in a typical two bedroom apartment but I might be ok with a larger three bedroom type. I'm used to the family life in a three story, including basement, so that is what I will probably get into when I do settle down one day.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 10:13 PM

That is another big consideration of having a car regardless of location of your home: groceries, day trip and even more parallel to my situation, visiting family and friends. My parents are in Richmond, my grand-mother is in Rockland, a few of my best friends are in Buckingham.

I would not be allowed, nor could I afford, a parking space with units in my price range, so I would likely keep my pass at work until the day the car dies (knock on wood). At which point, I would try to live car free for however long.

But yeah, having a family, I would want a house. The basement was a central part of my life as a kid and teenager. I want any possible kid I might have to have the same awesome space. Not that it's necessary, just nostalgia. Live vicariously through others.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It seems to me the big question you might want to consider is where do you think condo prices are going.

If you think they're going to stay the same or go down, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to buy a condo. You can rent a place really close to your office (the Minto building next store, or the various high-rises a few blocks away) for probably less than you would pay in mortgage, condo fees, taxes, etc. and still be close to the office and within stumbling distance of most bars.

If you think prices are going up then it makes sense to buy even a small condo and build up equity faster than you could probably save money.
I have a feeling that the slump will last until the Federal election. Who gets in and their policies will determine where the market goes next. It might also determine the Canadian economy as a whole, therefore give us a better idea of when interest rates go back up. No matter what new home buyers do, it's a gamble, just like everything else in life.

I calculated the cost of a condo. Between the mortgage, condo fees and property taxes, it came to about $1,100.

As for renting, that's just not an option I'm ready to consider. I'm better off staying at my parent's place for another year or two and save up for a decent down payment.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:08 PM

For me, Downtown/Condo living is all about the convenience of being close to everything and being where the action is; now again, I am single and in my early/mid 20's so that might change when I am 32 married with kids but for now, I just like the lifestyle too much to give it up for extra space...

My dad fought with me a lot when I told him I was moving in a condo downtown and he kept saying "but it's so small, why don't you get a townhouse in Orleans or South Ottawa or something.. you could have more space, maybe a backyard, a shed, etc.." but him, being older and a family man, couldn't understand that I didn't NEED any of that space.

I also have 2 jobs and a very busy social life, so I spend very little time at my place (other than sleeping and the occasional sunday morning bowl of cereal on the couch while watching TV). It's just a no brainer for me.. Even if I were to move to a very small city/town (like Rockland or Hawkesbury for example) I would still try to get some sort of "condo downtown" to be close to everything rather than get a semi-detached in the burbs of the burbs lol.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:11 PM

From what you've said, I think you got it right in your previous post -just live at home for a couple more years and concentrate on saving toward your apartment purchase.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 9:13 PM

On the other discussion you wanted to move over here, the "family condos" I think a lot of it is the way buildings here are designed. In Europe flats often take up the entire width of the building so there are windows on both sides (either the "hall" is outdoors or there are multiple sets of stairs or elevators). In that setup, it is fairly easy to get 3 bedrooms out of a 700-800 sqf flat (2 bedrooms on one side, one bedroom and the living room on the other). Here, to get 3 bedrooms you need almost 40 feet of exterior frontage, which means the unit has to be huge, which means it is priced higher than a 3 bedroom house, which means hardly anybody is building family condos.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 11:05 PM
ハルウララ

Do we have a thread for the development on Bank & Lisgar? I have a feeling I may be missing something plainly in sight...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Do we have a thread for the development on Bank & Lisgar? I have a feeling I may be missing something plainly in sight...
This one?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212493

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:51 AM

Yes I believe you should experience the downtown life before moving on to other phases in your life. I was once in you guys' shoes, starting out and living on Gilmour Street, stone's throw to everything. I liked it but did not love it and only stayed there for 1 year before moving to the west end.

But by all means do what you are comfortable with and you won't look back with any regret.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:37 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
That would be it. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:03 PM

Some good perspectives here regarding micro condos, which is always healthy for a good discussion as everybody has different needs/agendas

http://metronews.ca/voices/opinion/1...-owning-dream/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 1:44 AM

Does anybody know the area (in square km) of the inner greenbelt.
I've been looking for almost an hour.
Also confirmation of the population, but I think I already found the number which is about 530 000.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Also confirmation of the population, but I think I already found the number which is about 530 000.
When Edward Conway was running for Somerset councillor he said the actual urban density was something like 5000/sq km.
http://conwayforsomerset.ca/urban-sprawl.pdf

I've spent time looking for it to and never found precise stats. If you add up the urban ward population as listed on the City of Ottawa site from 2012, ~550,000 is the number that comes up.
I summed the size of all of the wards that are inside the greenbelt as listed on the city's website, and it comes to about 369.1sqkm.
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/offici...ation-and-area
Not sure how precise the numbers are but hopefully this helps

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Are you looking to see how awesome it would be if all the non-agricultural parts of Ottawa lived in the Greenbelt, like an extra 400-500 thousand living in the Greenbelt?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
When Edward Conway was running for Somerset councillor he said the actual urban density was something like 5000/sq km.
http://conwayforsomerset.ca/urban-sprawl.pdf

I've spent time looking for it to and never found precise stats. If you add up the urban ward population as listed on the City of Ottawa site from 2012, ~550,000 is the number that comes up.
I summed the size of all of the wards that are inside the greenbelt as listed on the city's website, and it comes to about 369.1sqkm.
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/offici...ation-and-area
Not sure how precise the numbers are but hopefully this helps
The edward conway article was very interesting!
These datas are very helpfull, I wasn't looking for precise numbers.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Are you looking to see how awesome it would be if all the non-agricultural parts of Ottawa lived in the Greenbelt, like an extra 400-500 thousand living in the Greenbelt?
Close enough.
Actually I was comparing Ottawa with Portland.
Ottawa innerbelt: 550 000 pop./369.1 sqkm (2012)
city of Portland: 609 456/346 sqkm (2013)
So they have similar urban profile but portland's suburb are much bigger in size and in population.
Actually portland and Ottawa have alot in common, both are in a valley at the confluence of a river. Metro area overlapping in 2 states/provinces. They are pretty much at the same latitude with downtown portland being 1 or 2 km north of ottawa's downtown. They have similar skylines and forest parks looks alot like gatineau park

Last edited by LaGrandeOurse; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 1:10 AM
National Capital Region

I have seen around 185 sq km for inside the greenbelt... I got around the same using the measure tool at maps.ottawa.ca

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I have seen around 185 sq km for inside the greenbelt... I got around the same using the measure tool at maps.ottawa.ca
I think that makes more sense

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion