HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 11:24 PM
Living With My Mother

Movies Shot in Ottawa

I just watched a blu-ray of a film titled: Shadows in An Empty Room. The big name star is Martin Landau in a supporting role.

The film is dated 1976 and has a couple of great scenes featuring Albert, Rideau and Wellington streets.

Most of the film is set in Montreal with other action sequences done in Lachine (standing in for Ottawa).

It was a surprisingly good film.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 11:30 PM
Living With My Mother

I've also seen a film titled: The Iron Curtain that was shot in Ottawa in the late 1940s.

The big name stars are Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. The story is based on Igor Gouzenko.

Many fabulous scenes of Sussex Drive and Somerset Street. Although the film is a little Soviet bleak it is worth the view.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 1:17 AM

Captain of the Clouds was filmed here in Ottawa in glorious Technicolor in July 1941, at Uplands and downtown at the Chateau. Starred James Cagney and Alan Hale Sr. This was a big movie at the time and was about bush pilots who joined the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Other footage was from Trenton and near North Bay. It was a big event when this was filmed. It was released in early 1942 not long after Pearl Harbour.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 2:00 AM

There was a film being filmed in the Ottawa area a few weeks ago: http://www.cfra.com/news/2016/08/24/...of-movie-scene

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Captain of the Clouds was filmed here in Ottawa in glorious Technicolor in July 1941, at Uplands and downtown at the Chateau. Starred James Cagney and Alan Hale Sr. This was a big movie at the time and was about bush pilots who joined the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Other footage was from Trenton and near North Bay. It was a big event when this was filmed. It was released in early 1942 not long after Pearl Harbour.

I've seen this one ;-) Found it on iTunes, actually... My grandmother had saved a few newspaper clippings from the Citizen regarding the movie, and after reading them it inspired me to check it out.

Here's a few clippings from the Google Newspaper Archive dating back to the 1940s:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...1,285732&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...40,47471&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2270235&hl=en

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 2:54 AM

House at the End of the Street (starring Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue) was filmed in Ottawa back in 2012:

http://www.ottawalife.com/2012/06/je...of-the-street/

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../14845706.html

Another film called Penthouse North was filmed that year starring Michael Keaton and Michelle Monaghan:

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/few-michael...pital-1.751843

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 2:57 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

What's cool about Captains of the Clouds is that Ottawa played itself. And the movie is about the RCAF.

Some other movies:

Mr and Mrs Bridge in the 80s with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward - Ottawa plays Kansas City

About 10 years ago a movie called Mind over Murder with Tori Spelling was filmer in Ottawa

Parts of the movie On the Road about Jack Kerouac were filmed in Vieux-Hull. It stood for Denver? I think.

Grey Owl with Pierce Brosnan was partly filmer in the Gatineau Hills.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What's cool about Captains of the Clouds is that Ottawa played itself. And the movie is about the RCAF.

Some other movies:

Mr and Mrs Bridge in the 80s with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward - Ottawa plays Kansas City

About 10 years ago a movie called Mind over Murder with Tori Spelling was filmer in Ottawa

Parts of the movie On the Road about Jack Kerouac were filmed in Vieux-Hull. It stood for Denver? I think.

Tom Green (when he was still based in Ottawa) singing for Pierce Brosnan during a press conference in Wakefield. I love the way he just sits there and does his stuff. Balls of steel.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 4:25 PM

passage to Ottawa was done a number of years ago

there will be a Bollywood movie shot here in 2017 per Mayor Watson's india delegation (trade mission) outocomes..

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Some other movies:

And World War I flying ace Billy Bishop played himself.

You see the yellow Harvard Training aircraft and sadly one of them crashed at a friend's farm near the airport when he was growing up (not at the time of filming).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:45 AM

Undercover Angel from 1999 starring Yasmine Bleeth directed by Bryan Michael Stoller. Scenes filmed at Canal Ritz, and so on.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:33 PM

The Batman & Robin movie (1997), some scenes were filmed on the canal with Mr. Freeze. Another movie is Decoys, it was filmed at Ottawa U and I still remember one scene was filmed at Fathers and Sons (brought back some old memories).

Another movie that was filmed mostly in Ottawa was Sacrifice with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Christian Slater. They shot some scenes at City Centre, Byward Market and other locations:
http://www.ottawasun.com/videos/76200797001

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:25 PM

You gotta love Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. 100% Ottawa:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311361/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

There's a Wikipedia page for this, though I don't know how up-to-date it is.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quebec films are basically never fully set in Ottawa, but there is sometimes a component related to the federal government (and especially Parliament) that gives Ottawa some visibility.

For example, this movie from last year, about a federal MP from Quebec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYaXGOgDA6k

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not a movie, but worthy of mention I think is that Radio-Canada currently has a TV series filmed and set in Ottawa. It's about a couple where she is nominally Franco-Ontarian and he is Québécois. It's lasted three years, which is quite surprising not because it's bad but... just because... anyway... I and others are just surprised.

This series is no doubt in response to criticisms of Radio-Canada being too Quebec-centric (and even Montreal-centric) in its fictional programming. I believe they also had a dramatic series a few years ago that was done in the Maritimes. It did reasonably well too.

The last francophone TV series set in Ottawa AFAIK was a téléroman called La Côte de Sable, about a francophone family in Sandy Hill. It ran for several seasons in the early 60s.

Anyway, here is the current series, Toi & Moi.

http://toietmoi.radio-canada.ca/emission/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:37 PM

Not a movie either, but a music video. In the days following their 2005 concert in Ottawa, The Rolling Stones filmed the video for Streets of Love. Great footage of Zaphod plus a few scenes shot just outside downtown.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Not a movie, but worthy of mention I think is that Radio-Canada currently has a TV series filmed and set in Ottawa. It's about a couple where she is nominally Franco-Ontarian and he is Québécois. It's lasted three years, which is quite surprising not because it's bad but... just because... anyway... I and others are just surprised.

This series is no doubt in response to criticisms of Radio-Canada being too Quebec-centric (and even Montreal-centric) in its fictional programming. I believe they also had a dramatic series a few years ago that was done in the Maritimes. It did reasonably well too.

The last francophone TV series set in Ottawa AFAIK was a téléroman called La Côte de Sable, about a francophone family in Sandy Hill. It ran for several seasons in the early 60s.

Anyway, here is the current series, Toi & Moi.

http://toietmoi.radio-canada.ca/emission/
Is that the TV series that has been partly shot at a house in the Glebe for the past several years?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 6:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is that the TV series that has been partly shot at a house in the Glebe for the past several years?
Yes, I am almost positive it is. I've seen a few episodes and it definitely looks like the Glebe.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Not a movie either, but a music video. In the days following their 2005 concert in Ottawa, The Rolling Stones filmed the video for Streets of Love. Great footage of Zaphod plus a few scenes shot just outside downtown.

Video Link
hey cool, didn't know that! Fun to figure out all the places in the video. Thanks for sharing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion