HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 12:34 AM
Living With My Mother

I think some '80s hair singer named Michael Damian did a music video around parliament hill and confederation square.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I just recalled this gem:

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer by Terry Matthews' son Trevor Matthews.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
hey cool, didn't know that! Fun to figure out all the places in the video. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! Ya, pretty cool and a stellar move for Zaphod, which is imo one of the best small live venues in North America.

The only street scene that I recognize is the shot filmed near the Laff on York (when the male actor is hit by a cab), very near Zaphod, which goes along the scenario.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
You're welcome! Ya, pretty cool and a stellar move for Zaphod, which is imo one of the best small live venues in North America.

The only street scene that I recognize is the shot filmed near the Laff on York (when the male actor is hit by a cab), very near Zaphod, which goes along the scenario.
One of the shots seems to show an overpass over the O-Train line in Ottawa's inner west, with a view of some downtown buildings in the distance. Maybe Albert St. or Somerset St. W.?

There is also a cop with an Ottawa Police shoulder patch visible.

And a couple of businesses: STINSON? IMPORTED FOODS? I guess one could find those if you looked hard enough.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One of the shots seems to show an overpass over the O-Train line in Ottawa's inner west, with a view of some downtown buildings in the distance. Maybe Albert St. or Somerset St. W.?

There is also a cop with an Ottawa Police shoulder patch visible.

And a couple of businesses: STINSON? IMPORTED FOODS? I guess one could find those if you looked hard enough.
Indeed. I'm just not familiar with these businesses. Could be anywhere in the city I guess. Vanier? Glebe? What I do know is that film crews need special street parking permits and I guess these are combined with sliding scales according to the amount of space used, the location and the time. Plus, all sorts of strings must be attached.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

At the risk of getting too geeky... the grocery store is Domestic Foods at the corner of Gladstone and Percy.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:33 PM

"Joshua Then and Now" (1985) with Richard Dreyfuss was mostly filmed in Montreal but also has scenes in Ottawa, showing the Parliament buildings.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:15 AM

Just Came across this posting on Twitter mentioning that a movie will be filming in Ottawa this month:

Quote:
@UsaCastingNews Ryuhei Kitamura to direct a thriller #filming in Ottawa in November. Would you like to get in contact with the #CastingDirectors?

Turns out, it's for a movie called, "Doorman" starring Katie Holmes and Jean Reno.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:29 AM

Nice. Would Katie Holmes be the biggest actor to ever shoot in Ottawa?

Maybe Jamie Foxx will come visit her.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Nice. Would Katie Holmes be the biggest actor to ever shoot in Ottawa?

Maybe Jamie Foxx will come visit her.
Jennifer Lawrence did House at the End of the Street here in 2010 with Elizabeth Shue, just before her popularity exploded.

Last edited by IntoTheCore; Nov 2, 2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: A word

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
"Joshua Then and Now" (1985) with Richard Dreyfuss was mostly filmed in Montreal but also has scenes in Ottawa, showing the Parliament buildings.
James Woods was Joshua; Richard Dreyfuss was Duddy Kravitz.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:32 PM
Mooderator

There was a movie shot in a house on Island Park not too long ago. A woman was suing the production company after a dog in the film attacked her. I can't recall the name of the actress, but it was in the news. I think it was one of those 'made for TV' movies on USA network or a similar cable company.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:01 PM

The Fleming short story For Your Eyes Only had Bond visit the Justice Building (then RCMP HQ). But the Moore-era film did not.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 7:48 PM

The movie Penthouse North, partly shot in Ottawa, stars Michael Keaton.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/few-michael...pital-1.751843

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 4:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not a movie shot in Ottawa, but recently I got dragged to the movie Bad Moms Christmas during a group outing.

Anyway, at one point one of the characters says she was from Ottawa, Canada, but that she moved to Bismarck, North Dakota because she wanted to live somewhere more exciting.

Or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not a movie shot in Ottawa, but recently I got dragged to the movie Bad Moms Christmas during a group outing.

Anyway, at one point one of the characters says she was from Ottawa, Canada, but that she moved to Bismarck, North Dakota because she wanted to live somewhere more exciting.

Or something like that.

I just looked at pictures of Bismarck...the entire town is about the size of the Carelton U campus lol. The writers of that movie probably also think we live in igloos. America f*** yeah

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:05 PM

Started the new season of "Frontier" and the bytown museum is featured several times. When did they film this? There's even a horse and buggy in the shot.

Also there's a very nice stone house with a red door that looks VERY familiar. The show is set in in 'Fort James' (Which I think is a made-up fort) and Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:12 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
Started the new season of "Frontier" and the bytown museum is featured several times. When did they film this? There's even a horse and buggy in the shot.

Also there's a very nice stone house with a red door that looks VERY familiar. The show is set in in 'Fort James' (Which I think is a made-up fort) and Montreal.
Really? I've kept pretty up to date with Frontier, but didn't see anything that screamed Ottawa...

I know that they principally film in Newfoundland and at the Louisbourg historic site in Nova Scotia.

On a sidenote, I always laugh when they say it's set in the Hundson Bay but it has mountains and trees. The Hudson Bay Lowlands are a marshy moonscape.

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:26 PM

[QUOTE=Jamaican-Phoenix;8007827]Really? I've kept pretty up to date with Frontier, but didn't see anything that screamed Ottawa...

I know that they principally film in Newfoundland and at the Louisbourg historic site in Nova Scotia.

On a sidenote, I always laugh when they say it's set in the Hundson Bay but it has mountains and trees. The Hudson Bay Lowlands are a marshy moonscape.

This season see's the main character 'go north' and it's super cold and icy and there are inuit, seems more like Hudson Bay. 'Fort James' has no snow in the same timeframe, and Montreal is practically tropical.

I'm thinking Fort James is supposed to be on the Ottawa river.

If you look closely youll see this elevation, almost at this angle. In the first episode, actually a couple of times:

http://www.centretownbuzz.com/wp-con...n-building.jpg

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:24 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Well, they also filmed in Cornwall, UK so I'm assuming it was there. :/
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion