HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:48 PM

Ottawa eCommerce (other than shopify)

When the media talks about the Ottawa tech scene, Shopify always always comes up. It makes it seem like ottawa's ecommerce sector only has one player... are there other's representing our city??

Last edited by Jayday23; May 11, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:16 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

SMITH is located in Gatineau

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
is shopify really that big?
In short, yes.

It's arguably Ottawa's best(and most important) startup story in the last decade.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
SMITH is located in Gatineau
It really makes me happy to see others out there. I really do think that both Smiths and Leemi road the shopify wave into the city.

I imagine that in Quebec, most of the e-commerce is probably located in Montreal, but its really nice to see a couple close to YOW as well.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
In short, yes.

It's arguably Ottawa's best(and most important) startup story in the last decade.
Isn't it nearly unarguably the most important startup story in CANADA in the last decade?

What canadian tech company is currently more important or for that matter more valuable.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
When the media talks about the Ottawa tech scene, Shopify always always comes up. It makes it seem like ottawa's ecommerce sector only has one player... are there other's representing our city??

I know there's another one called Leemi but i haven't heard of any more. Why not? is shopify really that big?
Not specifically the tech sector, but of course Canada Post's HO (and much its IT work) is in Ottawa. They just reported a 25% increase in parcel volume in 2017 vs. 2016.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:43 PM

There is also Macadamian in Hull:

http://www.macadamian.com

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Isn't it nearly unarguably the most important startup story in CANADA in the last decade?

What canadian tech company is currently more important or for that matter more valuable.
What i'm really interested in is "what's in the Ottawa Water"? This is a government city and some of the biggest e-commerce firms (e-commerce seems like the antithesis of government IMHO) are stationed here.

I guess the shopifys, and Smiths of the city all know something i don't.

Last edited by Jayday23; May 11, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:

I know there's another one called Leemi but i haven't heard of any more. Why not? is shopify really that big?
Shopify is to Ecommerce what Facebook is to social media

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
What i'm really interested in is "what's in the Ottawa Water"? This is a government city and some of the biggest e-commerce firms (e-commerce seems like the antithesis of government IMHO) are stationed here.

I guess the shopifys, Smiths and Leemi's of the city all know something i don't.
They know that Ottawa is not only a government town but also a hi-tech hub and has been so for the past 40 years. Seriously, high-tech employs nearly as many people as the feds do in this city.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I guess the shopifys, Smiths and Leemi's of the city all know something i don't.
Actually the high level of stable employment allows spouses to take chances and start companies. Sort of like the safey-net in Scandinavia. Also Government research in Ottawa's case was the impetus of a lot of the sector.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
They know that Ottawa is not only a government town but also a hi-tech hub and has been so for the past 40 years. Seriously, high-tech employs nearly as many people as the feds do in this city.
It's hard to shed old perceptions i guess...

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
It's hard to shed old perceptions i guess...
I guess it's all about presence.... Downtown Ottawa is dominated by the federal government and various 'canadiana things for all' stuff like flags and bronze statues, while most things related to hightech are 20 kms westward in Kanata. Let's hope that Shopify's move to downtown is the beginning of a trend.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
A bit late of a reply, but this is pretty far from the truth. There are 145000 federal government workers in Ottawa and a bunch who work for provincial and municipal governments as well. High tech employs about 70000. We are definitely a tech hub, but still a government town at heart.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
A bit late of a reply, but this is pretty far from the truth. There are 145000 federal government workers in Ottawa and a bunch who work for provincial and municipal governments as well. High tech employs about 70000. We are definitely a tech hub, but still a government town at heart.
Curious how each has grown over these 5 years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion