HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quebec now seems to have banned streets and roads named for corporations, and for developer's kids and moms. But there are still many streets named Rue Agathe and Rue Joanie out there from a bygone era.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:27 PM

Often streets with given names do have significance but are easily lost in time.

Many neighbourhoods have themed street names. Hunt Club Park (east of Conroy) has a number streets named after photographers. Further west in the Hunt Club area, several street names are golf and equine based associated with the history of the Hunt Club. The area around the oldest part of Greenboro (Tapiola Crescent) are named after Finnish towns/cities. The design of Greenboro was based on Finnish communities. It is a pity that some of the concepts adopted in Greenboro were not deployed elsewhere in Ottawa.

Blackburn Hamlet has a lot streets named 'Park'.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

With some exceptions, I find Ottawa street names especially in the core are not very capital-esque. I'd like it if there were more streets named for significant places all over the country, and also for notable Canadians. Though in the latter case obviously it's too late for that. Almost nothing will be named for actual humans in the foreseeable future, since we're all terrorized by the possibility that they may have sung the full original lyrics to Dire Straits' Money for Nothing in a karaoke bar one night in 1992.

Obviously the central core streets all have names already, and we won't likely be changing many of them just for fun.

And naming a banal suburban street in Barrhaven for Louis Cyr, Tom Longboat or Northrop Frye doesn't really do it for me.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
With some exceptions, I find Ottawa street names especially in the core are not very capital-esque. I'd like it if there were more streets named for significant places all over the country, and also for notable Canadians. Though in the latter case obviously it's too late for that. Almost nothing will be named for actual humans in the foreseeable future, since we're all terrorized by the possibility that they may have sung the full original lyrics to Dire Straits' Money for Nothing in a karaoke bar one night in 1992.

Obviously the central core streets all have names already, and we won't likely be changing many of them just for fun.

And naming a banal suburban street in Barrhaven for Louis Cyr, Tom Longboat or Northrop Frye doesn't really do it for me.
A lot of downtown streets are named after early Ottawans of note. Given that street naming is municipal (and now it comes from the developers), names of more national significance are not a priority.

Of course, when we have attempted to use names of more national significance, there is all kinds of blow-back especially when they were politicians and had to make decisions, which are always imperfect. None of us live perfect lives and no politician makes perfect decisions.

I have been involved in suggesting street names a couple of times. I am often surprised how names are assigned that have no historical significance to the location. Of course, it is just easier to come up with those meaningless names.

Street names often commemorate someone but unless this information is documented so that the public can easily find it, what use is it? Nobody is educated. When those commemorations are not documented, eventually they will be lost to time. What a pity.

I have a published list of street names on-line east of the Rideau. I wish others would do the same for other sections of the city. I can't tackle more.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Of course, when we have attempted to use names of more national significance, there is all kinds of blow-back especially when they were politicians and had to make decisions, which are always imperfect. None of us live perfect lives and no politician makes perfect decisions.
Yeah, well they are moving to change Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway already and it seems like it was only maybe a decade ago that it was named.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
A lot of downtown streets are named after early Ottawans of note. Given that street naming is municipal (and now it comes from the developers), names of more national significance are not a priority.

A cynic might say that this is a prime example of Ottawa the city not thinking of itself in capital-esque terms.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I have been involved in suggesting street names a couple of times. I am often surprised how names are assigned that have no historical significance to the location. Of course, it is just easier to come up with those meaningless names.
So welcome to Meadow Valley Glen Drive. Or maybe Carpaccio Court.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
A cynic might say that this is a prime example of Ottawa the city not thinking of itself in capital-esque terms.
In almost all of Lowertown, and parts of Uppertown, the street names pre-date Ottawa being selected as capital.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
In almost all of Lowertown, and parts of Uppertown, the street names pre-date Ottawa being selected as capital.
Yes, a lot of them went back to the Bytown era. But there were a lot of streets renamed. This is how we got Laurier and Gladstone Avenues, and Bank Street, was originally Esther Street named for Colonel By's wife. There was a Bank Street but it only went from Wellington to the 'Bank' of the Ottawa River.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
So welcome to Meadow Valley Glen Drive. Or maybe Carpaccio Court.
Yes, it is easier for developers to select these meaningless names. It is a hassle to ask organizations for more meaningful suggestions.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Have to admit that developer-led themed streets are definitely cringe but i'm not sure they're much worse than most major centres in Canada having King/Queen/Prince/Princess streets, along with streets like Frank/Peter/Charles etc.

We've already reached the point where streets are named after corporations (Home Depot Drive) which is almost certainly the biggest sin of all.
What's the problem with those street names?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
What's the problem with those street names?
Just a bit monotonous when they exist in every city. Obviously there's a reason for that but it doesn't really distinguish one from another. They don't need to, but yeah.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well they are moving to change Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway already and it seems like it was only maybe a decade ago that it was named.
Regardless of dates, it will be odd to lose the symbolism of having Macdonald representing 'Canada West' in western Ottawa and Cartier representing 'Canada East' in eastern Ottawa on prominent parkways.

This is the nation's capital and where else could this be achieved but immediately adjacent to the Ontario-Quebec border and leading towards the Parliament buildings from both directions.

I do understand reconciliation but we should not be totally ashamed of our nation's history and the significance that these two men brought in creating this country.

Would any of us have been better off if we simply allowed ourselves to be absorbed into the United States and much of our population sucked southward towards less frigid climates?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Maybe Promenade Louis Riel Drive somewhere?
But then people will think Winnipeg, not Ottawa…

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Just a bit monotonous when they exist in every city. Obviously there's a reason for that but it doesn't really distinguish one from another. They don't need to, but yeah.
So Main, Church, and College streets take a hit as well, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
You know, there are Ottawa families who lost their sons in the second Riel rebellion and I am fairly closely connected to one of those families. It would be politically incorrect to honour those lost members of the NWMP.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So Main, Church, and College streets take a hit as well, I guess.
Sure, why not, I don't particularly lose sleep over it or anything.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
You know, there are Ottawa families who lost their sons in the second Riel rebellion and I am fairly closely connected to one of those families. It would be politically incorrect to honour those lost members of the NWMP.
That’s interesting.
Now I wonder if my grade 10 social studies (back in B.C.) covered both perspective. PM me the NWMP perspective if you will. If not, I can look it up myself.

For real, though, naming anything after people is difficult these days.

For example, lest we find dirt in Donald Munro, should we pre-emptively rename Donald B. Munro Drive to Old Pembroke Road/l’Ancien chemin de Pembroke? What about Promenade (Robert) Campeau Drive? Should that become Highway 417 N Service Road/(La) Route de Desserte N de l’A-417 (because it functions as such anyway)?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:20 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
There already is one in Orléans.

And of course in Gatineau. All the heroes of francophone Canada have their streets in Gatineau.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is easier for developers to select these meaningless names. It is a hassle to ask organizations for more meaningful suggestions.
That's probably best nowadays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion