Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 12:29 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroSplash View Post
I should have asked today. We had a feedback meeting with management this afternoon, but most of the questions were about the coffee makers, white noise in the bathrooms, when we can have visitors and take pictures, but nothing about the lantern.

One interesting thing, every floor has a “lantern lounge”, which is a quiet area right near the windows of the building’s spine. The windows are covered with refelective material with perforations all over it (about the size a hole punch would make.) It’s designed to be semi transparent during the day, but reflect the spine lighting at night.

And they’re having some difficulty programming the buildings blinds. The building’s AI controls them to block direct sun and heat. People were commenting that other nearby glass buildings were reflecting sunlight into the building, but the blinds didn’t respond. In the CC, blinds could be controlled manually with a control panel by each window.

Also, the fitness center on the 40th floor is opening in October. And the cafeteria is now fully up and running. I’m enjoying being able to get a window seat at lunch. Once all 4000 employees are in the building, seating will be difficult again (like it is in CC.)
What caught my attention when reading this was your statement of the "white noise in the bathroom." And, I'm thinking....That's a first and something I've never of heard of being used in a bathroom and further thinking that's pretty fancy stuff. Like if it is not our spouse or partner, we don't want to hear you take a leak or worst yet blow your ass or pass gas while doing a number 2. That's some fancy shit...no pun intended.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:51 AM

MetroSplash: Facing the building, outside, walk over to the left wall. Look up at about 8 feet. You'll see two of the lightest slats side-by-side. Look at the graining on the underside. Exact match. It's not in exactly the same place, lengthwise, on each, but it's exactly the same grain pattern. Clearly fake. Clearly plastic.

iheartphilly: That's why they play music in public bathrooms.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
MetroSplash: Facing the building, outside, walk over to the left wall. Look up at about 8 feet. You'll see two of the lightest slats side-by-side. Look at the graining on the underside. Exact match. It's not in exactly the same place, lengthwise, on each, but it's exactly the same grain pattern. Clearly fake. Clearly plastic.

Consider how grain patterns occur naturally. consider one piece of wood cut into two pieces, open them up like a book. what is the grain pattern going to look like on those pieces of wood? Depending on the horizontal symmetry of the grains they can look identical, or at the very least, mirror images.

You need to find more than two pieces of wood to establish it is fake. Also, when putting up something with fake wood patterns, effort is made to purposely spread them out. My faux wood panel tile floor in my kitchen only has 8 varietals and my kitchen is not that big. Still you really have look to notice the repeated grain patterns because of the way the tiles are laid. Hard to believe the guy who did my kitchen floor is more of a pro than the team that put together a 1.5 billion dollar building. Two panels with very similar grain patterns right next to each other would actually point more toward actual wood, than faux wood.

Last edited by allovertown; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:40 PM
Philly Pholly

Considering the LEED rating, I was surprised to see so much wood. I understand the flooring is recycled but when I saw the walls and ceilings covering that hangar of a lobby I was skeptical. It wouldn't surprise me that the the boards are some sort of recycled material.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Considering the LEED rating, I was surprised to see so much wood. I understand the flooring is recycled but when I saw the walls and ceilings covering that hangar of a lobby I was skeptical. It wouldn't surprise me that the the boards are some sort of recycled material.
I don't know a ton about LEED but just because something is real wood doesn't disqualify it from being "green". As long as it is imminently renewable and doesn't destroy the soil. like bamboo. Recycled materials are also obvious options, just not the only options.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
they wouldn't necessarily need to be recycled, just harvested from a forest that was certified: https://www.usgbc.org/credits/retail-ci/v2009/mrc7

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:39 PM

^I don't know if this helps - but i posted this find a while ago -- talking about the lobby, and materials used.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8912

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
I don't know a ton about LEED but just because something is real wood doesn't disqualify it from being "green". As long as it is imminently renewable and doesn't destroy the soil. like bamboo. Recycled materials are also obvious options, just not the only options.

The LEED rating system is far, far from perfect, and can be and often is gamed by architects and developers, which should surprise no one. An example that I know from first hand experience, (and how LEED points in this situation are awarded might have been changed) points were awarded for using wood, even if the log was cut in Colorado, shipped to Japan to be sliced into veneer, shipped to China to be laid up as plywood, shipped to Italy to be dyed a certain color then lastly shipped back to the USA for use. All that transportation and the huge pollution factor that goes along with ocean shipping, and LEED points were granted because 'wood' is considered green. Concrete made with cement from the Lehigh Valley and sand from south Jersey is actually more 'green' then that wood I had to use.

regarding what's on Comcast II, which I haven't looked at, I would find it highly unlikely that real, natural, raw unprocessed wood would be used on the exterior unless it was going to be painted. Clear/transparent wood finishes just don't hold up, ask any boat owner who has to deal with wood, and the job of regularly refinished the Comcast II 'wood' would be a large undertaking.

My sight unseen guess is that its a manufactured wood, which is wood fibers pressed along with a epoxy type resin into a board shaped product. This can have a wood grain incorporated into it's outer surfaces. It generally works like wood, but doesn't need a finish. And the ends are hidden or treated or painted or capped because the wood fibers can draw moisture into the core just like 'real' wood; imagine a bunch of tiny straws are bound together with epoxy. One so called advantage of this type of wood is that it can be made from the waste wood from the usual milling/cutting operation. ('can' doesn't mean it is always made from waste wood) Another advantage is the 'boards' can be made in very long lengths, as one method of manufacturing this type of 'wood' is to extrude it through dies and press it in rollers. It is worked with normal woodworking tools and fasteners. I think it burns, but maybe it can be treated to lower its burn level. It's not cheap; the price is often higher then real wood. The additional upfront costs are suppose to be balanced out by its ease of use, long life, and minimal maintenance (the last two claims are still being contested)

As its use is uncommon in commercial settings I wouldn't be at all surprised to find two very similarly grained pieces close to each other; they probably shouldn't be, but unless the written job specs call out that detail, the on site installer just attaches the boards in whatever order there are handed up to them. I can't imagine them picking through individual pieces checking how they look next to each other. I laugh alittle envisioning a big job site where a couple of guys are arguing with each other whether board B or C looks better up against board A.

Last edited by City Wide; Sep 29, 2018 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post

Well, on the second floor of the lobby, behind the coffee bar, you can actually examine and touch the wood. Not plastic. Also, the wood block floors in the lobbys and the elevator floors are definitely wood, not plastic. Now, on the office levels, the wood floors appear to be laminate (the light reflects of it in a wavy pattern.)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:39 AM

One strange design detail of the building is that the bathrooms on each floor are on the far west side of the building, close to the spine. My office is right against the east windows of the building. That means every time I need to use the facilities, I have to walk an entire city block to the bathroom and a city block bath. My Apple Watch is impressed how far I’m walking everyday. They call those long hallways from east to West “Main Street”s.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:28 AM

Wondering if they used real wood inside, but some weather resistant composit outside?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:45 AM
Philly Rising Up!

I have to see the wood outside up close, but natural wood such as exotics can withstand outside elements. An example would be ipe. But, even if it wasn't exotic, wood can be stained and a satin, semi-glossy, or glossy varnish can coat it to protect it from the elements.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:12 AM

As I understand it there's a few places around Juniper and Spruce where you can see wood outside up close.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:38 AM

That’s what she said

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScottsOffice View Post
That’s what she said
Not on 13th Street

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScottsOffice View Post
That’s what she said
lmaoooo I was just about to say something like this.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroSplash View Post
. Now, on the office levels, the wood floors appear to be laminate (the light reflects of it in a wavy pattern.)
I've seen them pull up the floor tiles. They definitely look like LVT.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:08 PM

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:48 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
As I understand it there's a few places around Juniper and Spruce where you can see wood outside up close.
A lot of that isn’t real wood either.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
A lot of that isn’t real wood either.
Made with wood fiber and epoxy?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture