HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 7:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The kind of stuff the Alouettes used to do. Scroll down to the video (kids in front of a soccer net).

https://www.facebook.com/LeBanquier/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 12:10 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Well and it can only be posts about stadiums under construction as well. And all the hate only came from the football loving prairies.
Umm, nope as there's been discussion around existing stadiums and arenas as well. Guess you missed that somehow.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:15 PM

Firstly I want to say classy move by TFC to invite 1500 Syrian Refugees to the game on Wednesday. Mid week games are a tougher sell and I think this is a great way to say Welcome to Canada

But.....if it was the Argos doing this TFC fans (re: Red Patch Boys) would be all over them about "papering" the house and padding attendance stats.....

Tell me I am wrong.....Mr Corporate

Last edited by cjones2451; Sep 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:05 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Firstly I want to say classy move by TFC to invite 1500 Syrian Refugees to the game on Wednesday. Mid week games are a tougher sell and I think this is a great way to say Welcome to Canada

But.....if it was the Argos doing this TFC fans (re: Red Patch Boys) would be all over them about "papering" the house and padding attendance stats.....

Tell me I am wrong.....Mr Corporate
Interesting that you would use my name for your flame baiting post. I have restrained myself from making fun of the Argos current attendance problems in these forums, though I easily could have, do you really want me to go down that route? The whole comparison you're making is silly as TFC have no reason to paper their stadiums as they're full or close to full most days regardless. Comparing inviting some Syrian immigrants (nowhere does it say they were given tickets for free, it was likely sponsored) who wouldn't have come otherwise to the Argos giving out 4-for-1 ticket offers to their existing fanbase and handing out free tickets to randoms outside the main entrance is as silly as it gets. The pitch is fine so far so I really couldn't give a rats a$s about the Argos. TFC's attendance is averaging about 27,000 this year which is up from last year, which was up from the year before, etc., etc. Their attendance has been just fine this year and will continue to be so, most of their games have been sellouts so far and even more will be next year most likely. TFC has always been in the 80-90% sold ballpark even in its lean years. Keep in mind this is a brand new franchise and their original business model only expected 10-13,000 seats sold, so it's a fantastic financial and franchise success for MLSE. I'd be happy to engage in the sort of 10 on 1 debates I used to engage in on the stadiums thread but frankly due to strict forum moderating guidelines it isn't as fun as it could be. It's much more fun to bash them on the RPB Forums, though I haven't engaged in that recently either. Inviting the Syrian immigrants was indeed a classy move and this game will be fun like all the others. I attended probably the worst attended game of the year (the NYRB game) and it was a packed, loud, raucuous, foot-stomping, action packed fun-fest, you can imagine what the sold out games were like.

P.S. Why is a guy in BC so up-to-date on obscure TFC matters? It seems half the people reading TFC related Forums are CFL fans from places like Hamilton, Regina and now even Vancouver apparently lol.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...aining-session

Last edited by mistercorporate; Sep 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Interesting that you would use my name for your flame baiting post. I have restrained myself from making fun of the Argos current attendance problems in these forums, though I easily could have, do you really want me to go down that route? The whole comparison you're making is silly as TFC have no reason to paper their stadiums as they're full or close to full most days regardless. Comparing inviting some Syrian immigrants (nowhere does it say they were given tickets for free, it was likely sponsored) who wouldn't have come otherwise to the Argos giving out 4-for-1 ticket offers to their existing fanbase and handing out free tickets to randoms outside the main entrance is as silly as it gets. The pitch is fine so far so I really couldn't give a rats a$s about the Argos. TFC's attendance is averaging about 27,000 this year which is up from last year, which was up from the year before, etc., etc. Their attendance has been just fine this year and will continue to be so, most of their games have been sellouts so far and even more will be next year most likely. TFC has always been in the 80-90% sold ballpark even in its lean years. Keep in mind this is a brand new franchise and their original business model only expected 10-13,000 seats sold, so it's a fantastic financial and franchise success for MLSE. I'd be happy to engage in the sort of 10 on 1 debates I used to engage in on the stadiums thread but frankly due to strict forum moderating guidelines it isn't as fun as it could be. It's much more fun to bash them on the RPB Forums, though I haven't engaged in that recently either. Inviting the Syrian immigrants was indeed a classy move and this game will be fun like all the others. I attended probably the worst attended game of the year (the NYRB game) and it was a packed, loud, raucuous, foot-stomping, action packed fun-fest, you can imagine what the sold out games were like.

P.S. Why is a guy in BC so up-to-date on obscure TFC matters? It seems half the people reading TFC related Forums are CFL fans from places like Hamilton, Regina and now even Vancouver apparently lol.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...aining-session
I like to be up to date, I am a fan of both the CFL and MLS.

TFC has done a great job and I have nothing bad to say about them, I just feel many RPB make themselves feel better by bashing the Argos

The Argos are only 8-10K from selling good crowds at BMO and previous ownership has F*cked it up for the last 20 years and lost a generation. It will take time to get it back (2-3 years) but it is possible, overall the league is strong and everyone except Calgary has a new or renovated stadium in the last 6 years, a new TV deal with TSN and strong sponsorship. If they can get the friggin officiating figured out (MLS has its issues too as TFC fans know) know it would be even stronger

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 1:56 AM

Wow what a match between Vancouver and Toronto!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 2:04 AM

So the S.Korean media is reporting that Canada and S.Korea have arranged an A-match to be held on Nov. 11th, Cheonan, South Korea.
This will be an interesting game especially since there's a lot of racial tension going on in Korea towards Canada (as a whole)
after the recent Toronto MLB incident a few days ago.

Last edited by christmas; Oct 10, 2016 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post
So the S.Korean media is reporting that Canada and S.Korea have arranged an A-match to be held on Nov. 11th, Cheonan, South Korea.
This will be an interesting game especially since there's a lot of racial tension going on in Korea towards Canada (as a whole)
after the recent Toronto MLB incident a few days ago.

Canada confirms November friendly against Korea

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow what a match between Vancouver and Toronto!!
Huh??

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 12:14 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Huh??
I was confused too

Thought he was talking about the USL teams or something..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:54 AM
Go Chiefs!

LOL@Impact.

Playing for the tie (by subbing in Mallace) at home when you have the chance to finish 3rd is disgusting.
Hopefully this is Biello last year but it won't because he's in the Saputo family circle. Have fun with the away playoff game... no extra money for you clowns.

1 thing I do support him on is his decision on Drogba. Thank you for the season and a half but we're done with this drama queen.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:00 PM
ハルウララ

Playoff matches are set!

TFC hosts Philadelphia at BMO on Wednesday whilst Impact travel to DC on Thursday. Depending on who wins what games the winners will be traveling to NY/NJ to play against the Red Bulls or NYCFC

In the NASL, Edmonton qualified for the Championship Semifinals and will be traveling to Indianapolis for November 5th.

Last edited by JHikka; Oct 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Playoff matches are set!

TFC hosts Philadelphia at BMO on Wednesday whilst Impact travel to Philadelphia on Thursday. Depending on who wins what games the winners will be traveling to NY/NJ to play against the Red Bulls or NYCFC

In the NASL, Edmonton qualified for the Championship Semifinals and will be traveling to Indianapolis for November 5th.
Impact are playing in DC

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Impact are playing in DC
You're right - had Philadelphia twice.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:25 PM

So it sounds like TSN will be dropping the rights to MLS.

CBC have applied for the trademark "Soccer Night in Canada" and will be picking up the rights.

The trademark application - http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...tIndexOnPage=1

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
So it sounds like TSN will be dropping the rights to MLS.

CBC have applied for the trademark "Soccer Night in Canada" and will be picking up the rights.

The trademark application - http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...tIndexOnPage=1
Seems odd when you have 3 Canadian Teams, 5 TSN Channels to fill and don't have hockey anymore

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Seems odd when you have 3 Canadian Teams, 5 TSN Channels to fill and don't have hockey anymore
TSN's MLS numbers were never as high as they expected them to be (compared to, say, their CFL numbers) and I'm presuming they're dropping MLS to make room for CPL in a few years. That's the presumption at this stage, anyway.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 10:27 PM

Ottawa Fury FC bolt NASL for growing United Soccer League
Tampa Bay Rowdies also leaving NASL for United Soccer League

Ottawa Fury FC is jumping from one soccer league to another in 2017, joining a league that includes teams based in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

The United Soccer League announced the Fury would be joining the USL for the 2017 season and will be expected to play in the league's Eastern Conference, alongside Toronto FC II and FC Montreal, the reserve teams for Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact.

The reserve team for the Vancouver Whitecaps plays in the league's western conference.

With the move, the Fury will be joining a league that has doubled in size in the last two years and leaving another — the North American Soccer League — that has been struggling.

The NASL is also losing another team, the Tampa Bay Rowdies, to the USL, and another team, Minnesota United, is moving up to Major League Soccer.

The USL has applied to the US Soccer Federation to move up from division three status to division two status, to reflect the increasing quality of play.

"The USL is a strong professional league that's getting stronger and I know our fans will be impressed," Fury FC Head Coach and General Manager Paul Dalglish said in a statement.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-usl-1.3820958

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:57 PM
ハルウララ

USL views Canadians as domestic players. NASL and MLS do not. Fury are switching for this reason and because of Travel - the nearest teams to Ottawa in NASL were Indianapolis and New York, and they've cited travel costs as a major impediment in their play in the NASL.

Rumours floating around that this is only a stopgap before Fury jump to the CPL in 2018 which seems likely at the moment. There were rumours that Ottawa wouldn't play at all in 2017 so USL is better than that option.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Rumours floating around that this is only a stopgap before Fury jump to the CPL in 2018 which seems likely at the moment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada