HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:54 AM

U-Haul numbers showing more migration to Phoenix (a reversal of recent years):

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ng-top-50.html

Phoenix, Tucson among Top 50 U-Haul destination cities

Phoenix-based U-Haul International Inc. has released its annual list of the Top 50 destination cities in the nation, and both Phoenix and Tucson made the cut. The ranking reflects destinations for movers traveling more than 50 miles, and considers every city in the country, regardless of size. The destination cities list is part of the annual U-Haul National Migration Report. Phoenix was the No. 14 destination on the list. Tucson was No. 31. Click the image above to see each city in the Top 50.

--don

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:58 AM

Phoenix housing market rebounding (I knew this already; in my condo complex, foreclosures have dwindled from a lot to a few, and prices are increasing from $18,000 last year to about $30,000 to $35,000 this year - still absurdly low but moving in the right direction):

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ws-strong.html

Phoenix housing market shows strong rebound

According to a report authored by Michael Orr at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University, Phoenix-area housing supply is down 42 percent from a year ago, foreclosures are down 52 percent from February 2011 and single family home prices have been trending upward since September 2011.

CoreLogic, meanwhile, also shows a local drop in foreclosures, so much so that the Phoenix foreclosure market is tracking below the national foreclosure rate of 3.43 percent of outstanding mortgages. That number locally in January was 2.85 percent of outstanding mortgages, a decrease of 1.93 percentage points compared with a year earlier. The 90-day delinquency rate was 7.35 percent in Phoenix as compared with 10.07 percent in January 2011....

Including new home sales, median prices for single family homes were up from $115,000 in February 2011 to $124,500 in February 2012, or 8.3 percent....

--don

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Phoenix housing market rebounding (I knew this already; in my condo complex, foreclosures have dwindled from a lot to a few, and prices are increasing from $18,000 last year to about $30,000 to $35,000 this year - still absurdly low but moving in the right direction):

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ws-strong.html

Phoenix housing market shows strong rebound

According to a report authored by Michael Orr at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University, Phoenix-area housing supply is down 42 percent from a year ago, foreclosures are down 52 percent from February 2011 and single family home prices have been trending upward since September 2011.

CoreLogic, meanwhile, also shows a local drop in foreclosures, so much so that the Phoenix foreclosure market is tracking below the national foreclosure rate of 3.43 percent of outstanding mortgages. That number locally in January was 2.85 percent of outstanding mortgages, a decrease of 1.93 percentage points compared with a year earlier. The 90-day delinquency rate was 7.35 percent in Phoenix as compared with 10.07 percent in January 2011....

Including new home sales, median prices for single family homes were up from $115,000 in February 2011 to $124,500 in February 2012, or 8.3 percent....

--don
true, but the 2009 foreclosures are hitting the market and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac have not really started to unload 2010 foreclosures

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
true, but the 2009 foreclosures are hitting the market and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac have not really started to unload 2010 foreclosures
They've been saying banks are going to flood the market for the last year and a half and cause prices to drop again but it hasn't materialized. I'm not buying it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 2:41 AM
BANNED

I just read yesterday that most American housing markets continue to decline, including SD, and are expected to continue to decline. This is why the stock market had a minor hiccup a few days ago.

With that said, I've been thinking about buying property in Phx because everything is so dirt cheap that one could turn a nice profit by renting it out.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:18 AM
this could have been...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7856517...7629348063462/

Check out image at link above to see the new Sheriff's Office HQ. i'm not sure from/to what direction the image/building is being presented. Also:

The Maricopa County Facilities Management Department is overseeing the design and construction of a new county building for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. Construction of the facility will impact visitors and employees to downtown Phoenix, so please note the following if you are driving or working in the downtown area.

The project is located in downtown Phoenix at 222 South 5th Avenue, directly to the east of the Downtown Justice Center. Additionally, during construction, the lot directly north of the Downtown Justice Center will be used to house temporary construction offices.

Street and Sidewalk Closures:
Extensive underground utility work in 5th Avenue between Madison St. and Jackson Street, and Madison Street between 5th Avenue and 7th Avenue will require closure of these streets for the duration of the project. Detour signs for vehicles and pedestrians will be posted to safely direct people to the best route around the site. Employee and juror shuttle routes are also modified to accommodate these closures.

Duration:
April 2012 to August 2013.

For more information, please contact:
John Magnuson, FMD Project Manager.
john.magnuson@fm.maricopa.gov

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:49 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
So the word around Facebook is that the old Beef Eaters is going to be converted to a changing hands! This is terrific news, Uptown already has lots of cool boutiques, that building has lots of potential and this could serve as an anchor to the other boutique/local shops in the area.

Downtown proper still desperately needs its own unique bookstore, but this is terrific.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:01 AM
BANNED

That's too bad. A dying business in a building that's used to being vacant.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
That's too bad. A dying business in a building that's used to being vacant.
Huh? How is Changing Hands dying? Its packed every time I'm there and if they're expanding to a new location they must be doing OK.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Huh? How is Changing Hands dying? Its packed every time I'm there and if they're expanding to a new location they must be doing OK.
book stores are dying.

5 years ago people were asking me all the time hwere the nearest book store is, now I can't remember someone asking me recently. Everyone reads books on their kindles and ipads now. I also think the younger generation's attention span is lacking and sure, there will always be people who will read and buy books, but that customer base is shrinking and shrinking.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
So the word around Facebook is that the old Beef Eaters is going to be converted to a changing hands! This is terrific news, Uptown already has lots of cool boutiques, that building has lots of potential and this could serve as an anchor to the other boutique/local shops in the area.

Downtown proper still desperately needs its own unique bookstore, but this is terrific.
That's awesome news. Ideal location, maybe not ideal, but it brings a cooler vibe to West Camelback. You've got a park & ride right there, a very cool neighborhood to the north and potential for a coffee shop or a Wildflower to join forces with like in Tempe. On the issue of bookstores, traditional chains like Barnes and Noble and Borders are a dying breed but local bookstores are actually on the rise because they are more than just places to get books. They are gathering places and are heavy on bringing authors in. I'm very excited. Thanks for the news Hoover!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:55 PM

Exactly, big chains are dying because you can get what they carry online or on a device. Old out of print stuff, unique local books, etc that local places carry you can't find online. Local bookstores are as much community gathering places as they are sales places. There will always be a place for well run local bookstores.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
Skyriser

Bar Smith Owners Transforming PHX Nightclub into The Monarch Theatre

Quote:
Salaz says a flurry of changes is taking place inside the club as it transforms into The Monarch. The two-story property's first floor is undergoing a major renovation that includes installing a new dance floor and some of the bar area, as well as new lighting and an upgraded sound system.

"We're also going to change up the decor and color scheme quite a bit. The Monarch Theatre is sort of envisioned as sort of an old-timey theatre type of thing, so we want to add some heavy drapery and some back bar lighting to accentuate things," he says. "We're definitely going for more of a cleaner feel, I would say. Whereas Bar Smith is more urban and has that street cred kind of thing going for it, the new place will be more streamlined."

Once that's done, he adds, there are plans to tackle the upper level.

"Right now, our primary focus is to get the first floor open since we're already paying rent on the property, and that's a lot of weight for Bar Smith's shoulders to carry," Salaz says. "But once the main floor is up and running and generating revenue, we'll focus our attention on the second floor. Right now off the top of our heads we're thinking an ultra-lounge with maybe even some fine dining or space for art shows and stuff like that."

While Salaz says that The Monarch's focus will be on EDM artists and DJs, they're hoping to occasionally feature a variety of local bands throughout the week, either in the main room or in the upstairs lounge.

"It's a big space upstairs, so music-wise we'd might have, say, some deep house, downtempo, neo-soul type stuff from DJs, or maybe some spoken word or jazz trios type of thing. But that's down the road, like eight months off," he says. "Downstairs we will be equipped for live music. My goal is to have a home for local bands, like instead of always having DJs as residents. And maybe have it be a place for where touring acts can come through. But that's not going to be our primary focus."
The skinny of the article: Hip Hop/R&B club -> Electronic Dance Music club/sophisticated art bar with a Latin night here and there. Works for me, and at least one other member on this forum.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:42 AM
BANNED

yay! less cholo nights!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:36 PM

Portland 2 Update

This is kind of an advertisement but it has good information and floor plans.

Urban Connection Realty - Portland 2 Condos

I like the look of the condos but am not crazy about the sample floor plan. It looks like the second bedroom has a high ceiling that is open to the "Arizona Room." That doesn't make sense. You wouldn't have privacy if people are in the Arizona Room, and what if you wanted to use that as a bedroom also. In general, however, I just don't like high/open ceilings, especially in AZ - you're just pissing money away air conditioning all that extra unusable space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:39 PM

People in $300k houses pretty much expect high ceilings.

If the house is built well, a modern home with 12' ceilings throughout will be much more energy efficient than almost all of the houses built in Phoenix before 1980 or 1990.

As an example (this is based on two homes I've lived in personally here), comparing summer electric bills:

2004 house in northeast Scottsdale, 4,000 square feet, 12' ceilings = $350 per month AC
1909 house in central Phoenix, 1,100 square feet, 10' ceilings = $300 per month AC

The difference? Insulation, triple paned windows, low-E glass, better construction, etc.

As for the floor plan above, most people are not going to be using the Arizona room on level 4 while someone is sleeping in bedroom #2 on level 3. Now for myself, I'd rather have a bathroom on level 4 in lieu of the super tall 20'+ ceiling in bedroom #2, and then you could use the Arizona Room as a fantastic master bedroom retreat. But that's just me...LOL.

--don

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:21 PM
BANNED

My 20' ceiling creates a big pocket of hot air that my thermostat constantly wants to cool. Summer AC bills are usually 300 ish.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
2004 house in northeast Scottsdale, 4,000 square feet, 12' ceilings = $350 per month AC
Damn thats good! Our summer electric bills sometimes reach $400 and it's a 1900 sq ft one story house. Crappy insulation and exposure.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:14 AM

holy moly! i'm glad i never owned a house in phoenix. my 1599 sq/ft home, built in 1990, here in OKC had a high electric bill of $179 last summer (we had 52 consecutive days over 100... scorching, i know). energy costs are cheap here tho. $0.043 kwh off peak and $0.147 kwh 2pm - 7pm weekdays

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:51 PM

Now, my electric bill is zero, and I can run the thermostat at 65 degrees all summer if I want. We have a liquid-cooled air conditioning system, which runs off of what essentially a giant central evaporator (like an enormous swamp cooler). In the summer, the system circulates cold water throughout all of the units, and each unit has an individual blower that pushes hot air over the cold water pipes to cool it, then sends the air into the unit. In the winter, the system runs hot water through the pipes. It is extremely energy efficient. We have 50 units here, and this system cools about 70,000 square feet of space (counting the common area gym, laundry room, etc.) for less than $5,000 per month in the summer. And this is with crappy 1979 single-paned windows and (probably) not the highest R-value insulation and construction techniques.

--don

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest