HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:47 PM

^ Indeed, Kenneth was a very different head of Irving Oil than his father, it's a shame he isn't still in charge.

I did see some concept plans for their HQ back before the public plans for Long Wharf were released and it did feature a 30-storey tower. My understanding was that the pitch for a taller building was scuttled by the idea that public backlash would be too strong in Saint John. Pity.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:26 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
This is what I think would be the ideal skyline: A 25-storey point tower on Union, near Charlotte, two 10-storey towers along the waterfront, and a 12-storey tower at King Square near the Paramount site.

I like this framework! I also think that a decent mesh of 6-8 storey midrise developments on our larger vacant lots would round everything out nicely. Looking at your mock-up, around 10-12 storeys does seem to be the visual 'sweet spot' for the Coast Guard site's tower component(s).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:30 PM

Yes I agree that the 30 floor building would have been nice to see for SJ maybe someday soon.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 1:40 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The GM of Saint John Waterfront Development was actually on CBC Radio last month talking about a variety of projects. So from the horse's mouth, here are the pertinent details the interview concerning this development current to March 12th:

3 Ongoing Engineering studies on the site:
-Seawall refurbishment specifications.
-Environmental Assessment (currently in the environmental file closure process).
-Developer-led geotechnical analysis.

No unforeseen hiccups so far in any of the engineering work.

Still mixed-use retail/commercial/hospitality/residential.

The planned renovations of the Loyalist Plaza area will be designed to blend seamlessly with the development.

Timeline: Still not firm, will be dictated by when the engineering studies finish up.

Audio: http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorning...t-this-summer/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
The GM of Saint John Waterfront Development was actually on CBC Radio last month talking about a variety of projects. So from the horse's mouth, here are the pertinent details the interview concerning this development current to March 12th:

3 Ongoing Engineering studies on the site:
-Seawall refurbishment specifications.
-Environmental Assessment (currently in the environmental file closure process).
-Developer-led geotechnical analysis.

No unforeseen hiccups so far in any of the engineering work.

Still mixed-use retail/commercial/hospitality/residential.

The planned renovations of the Loyalist Plaza area will be designed to blend seamlessly with the development.

Timeline: Still not firm, will be dictated by when the engineering studies finish up.

Audio: http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorning...t-this-summer/
This is nice to hear, but I'm getting so tired of waiting, and waiting. Hopefully, we won't have to wait much longer?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:04 AM

A friend of mine said he heard something about Fundy Quay on CBC radio this morning. I didn't find any clip but did find this tweet by Hance Colburne. Further down he says he'll have a clip tomorrow. I have a feeling it's not good.

Who's looking at building on the waterfront? It's been a secret, until now. @connellcbc talks to @skimber about the developer. 7:10 91.3 FM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:03 PM

Looks like the developer of Fundy Quay is Joe Ramia. The same developer as the currently under construction Nova Centre in Halifax.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Looks like the developer of Fundy Quay is Joe Ramia. The same developer as the currently under construction Nova Centre in Halifax.
Where did you hear this? This can't be all that big news for some reason....I can't seem to find anything more about it anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Where did you hear this? This can't be all that big news for some reason....I can't seem to find anything more about it anywhere.
The CBC radio that Joe was referring to yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
The CBC radio that Joe was referring to yesterday.
K thanks!! Any ideas as to why this news isn't making the media circuits?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:20 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The audio is now up on the Information Morning website: http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorning...e-development/

Other than the developer's identity, there's not much new information in the report pertaining to this proposal, other than a brief status update from Waterfront Development stating they're "working with the developer to 'refine property infrastructure costs'" (0:13 in the audio). This is a fairly cryptic statement, but it's possible they're referring to repairs on the seawall.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 4:28 PM

Saint John is scrambling to find someone to do this developement. They are just talking to Joe as well as a few others. Nothing is close here. We need some other things to happen before anyone considers this development.
Long way off I would say.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Saint John is scrambling to find someone to do this developement. They are just talking to Joe as well as a few others. Nothing is close here. We need some other things to happen before anyone considers this development.
Long way off I would say.
I would think that very few developers would want to take a chance until some firm announcements regarding energy east and impact on the refinery are announced and this is probably at least a year away. Personally, I would rather wait and have it done "properly" rather than rush into something.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:38 PM

In my opinion, Water Front Development needs to stop making false statements or missleading the citizens.
How many times did you hear about an announcement was coming very soon?
Poorly run I would say.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
In my opinion, Water Front Development needs to stop making false statements or missleading the citizens.
How many times did you hear about an announcement was coming very soon?
Poorly run I would say.
Completely agree. The owner of the Alehouse told me - must be a year ago - that he was told by the Mayor that an announcement was VERY close. With the Mayor actually sitting on the board I would like to take this opportunity to urge him to make some sort of statement telling us where this development currently sits. Mr. Mayor?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 3:37 PM

so is this project dead or what?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 10:29 PM
Spem Reduxit

You, me and everyone else wondered that question months ago. Unfortunately, it seems to all be hype and another dead project for the city. Maybe Premier Gallant is stalling on something here as well, just like the Events Center in Moncton...lol

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 1:26 AM
ハルウララ

Two things. Either:

1) The project is dead, or;
2) They're taking their time getting arrangements, agreements, and testing out of the way. People need to exercise patience with developments sometimes. In larger cities, condo and office towers can go through years and years of work before any actual physical activity occurs onsite. It's unwise to automatically assume failure (hello, culture of defeat) simply because we've had no news.

I'm leaning towards the first option but holy do we ever pile on to the Bandwagon of Failure every time something falls through in this town. These things happen and it's not the end of the world.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 3:31 PM
Spem Reduxit

You're right it's not the end of the world, it's small cities like ours who feel the impact of these projects on a much more sensitive level. We view these projects with greater scope and intensity because we believe the pay off is massive and a game changer. I strongly believe this isn't as infectious in larger cities because there is so much more going on that people's views or feelings about a project are diluted.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope this project goes through as it could be our "game changer" to the uptown revitalization in 30 years since the Market Square project. It just makes me angry that nothing has been communicated either way...no ones likes being left hanging.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:22 PM

Project is not dead.
The city can't afford it to be dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces