HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:22 AM

The lot that held the Wesley Memorial Church at St George/Cameron has a sign up for an office/retail "opportunity".

I assume that the plan to build apartments there was suppressed by the ridiculously high vacancy rate in the Moncton CMA (currently at 10.7% -- the highest in the country). The property was sold for $1.1MM and add in the demolition costs. The lot itself is only assessed at $192k and costs the owner $9k a year in taxes. Seems like a horrible investment.

Does anyone know anything else?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The parking garage at the Crowne Plaza Hotel is coming down (no loss, it was falling down anyway).

It will be replaced by (wait for it) - surface parking, including the adjacent parking lot at the old Acadian Lines bus terminal......

What a lost opportunity. I hope this is only a temporary solution.......
It appears to me that the old Acadian Lines bus terminal is also going to be coming down once them heavy equipments are done with the parking garage.

If so, I really really really hope they leave those three beautiful trees facing Main street standing.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Tim Horton's at the corner of Mountain Rd and Birchmount is going to be demolished and completely rebuilt as one of their new format stores.

Here's the site plan:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton cracks down on derelict properties
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

The City of Moncton promised to crack down on abandoned properties in the city following the fire death of a homeless man in a vacant house on Gordon Street last November, and the city appears to be delivering on the promise.

Since Moncton city council directed staff to act in January and adopted a revised bylaw at the end of March, a total of 11 abandoned structures have been torn down.

“Since the process was undertaken in January, nine vacant or unoccupied buildings have been demolished. And in April, May and June, two more have been demolished,” said Claude Despres, director of strategic initiatives for the City of Moncton.

The municipality already had procedures in place before November’s tragic fire, but the incident spurred an effort to tighten up enforcement.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13365

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The Tim Horton's at the corner of Mountain Rd and Birchmount is going to be demolished and completely rebuilt as one of their new format stores.

Here's the site plan:
I see it already has the typical ridiculously long lineup in the drive-thru.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some Moncton architecture 'not very fair' to homeless

Greater Moncton Homelessness Steering Committee says posts and similar structures are unwelcoming
CBC News Posted: Jul 25, 2014 10:51 AM AT
Last Updated: Jul 25, 2014 10:51 AM AT

Moncton residents are debating some architectural design elements along city streets that are intended to be so uncomfortable that it discourages people from loitering or sleeping in the area.

Decorative objects, such as posts, rivets and fences, can be found along Moncton streets and are designed to stop people from sitting on windowsills or laying on flowerbeds.

These design elements are not uncommon. In Montreal last month, anti-loitering spikes were installed with the intention of deterring people from sitting on a ledge along a sidewalk.

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...less-1.2717873

personal note - while I certainly have sympathy for the homeless, especially when it is through no fault of their own, I do take issue with aggressive panhandlers, and there are currently too many of those on Main Street. I think the business owners are well within their rights to install whatever architectural features that are necessary to deal with this scourge.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:15 PM

As long as the architecture looks nice, then I don't have a problem with it. The rings in one of the pictures is a bit strange, but the spiked pillars in the other pictures don't look bad at all. (And the example of the case in Montreal, those would be too far; they really looked Jailhouse-style IIRC)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

I'm not bothered by panhandlers, but it is a fact that some people are intimidated by panhandlers and by people who look a certain way.
If I owned a business downtown, I wouldn't want them hanging around my front door.
I work downtown, and every week (sometimes several times per week) some coworkers head out to a nearby store and come back empty handed because the phalanx of beggars compels them to turn around and not visit that store.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
If I owned a business downtown, I wouldn't want them hanging around my front door.
Agreed. "Unwelcoming" architecture is a very passive way to prevent loitering. At least the homeless aren't waking up to yellow metallic boots bolted to their legs… yet.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 11:39 AM

Pizza Delight / Scores

The Pizza Delight across from NBCC is re-branding as a Pizza Delight / Scores.

Oops, thought I was in the "Inside Wheeler" forum. Sorry!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is still the "inside Wheeler" thread, but the name has just been changed. The area around the Northwest Centre is kind of a no man's land in any event, so it doesn't really matter much if you post this information here or in the northwest section.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:36 PM

That infill project on Main across from Oak lane never got started. I wonder if it's still a go. Any information out there?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:45 PM

Graffiti's has closed it's doors, according to the online T&T. Lease/renovation issues.

Edit: They will be looking for a new location in "2 or 3 months, maybe"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That entire block of buildings is now vacant. While East Main Street is booming, West Main Street is starting to look very long in the tooth.

Yet another reason to proceed with the events centre......

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T

Latest proposal offers hope for historic Moncton High School

Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Norbert Cunningham
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13411

Another chapter begins in the long, strange saga of Moncton High School.

An expert

Moncton’s Richard Carpenter has long had a stellar reputation — deservedly so — for his dedication to preserving and restoring heritage properties, which runs counter to a still strong tendency in our region and city to tear down the old and put up something cheap and ugly in its place.

Mr. Carpenter has displayed the wisdom and vision required and concretely proved their worth by putting his money and talent behind them. Moncton is greatly enhanced as a result.

New proposal

Last week he stepped forward, explaining a proposal he’s made to the province to preserve the architecturally significant Moncton High School. A provincial asset, it’s for sale for $1 million. It’s sitting empty while a modern, somewhat politically controversial replacement, prepares to open elsewhere.

Mr. Carpenter proposes to renovate Moncton High for use of a school. I doubt the depth of the irony is lost to anyone but newcomers.

It’s particularly noticeable because Mr. Carpenter’s proposal makes tremendous common sense and his expertise and record are well-known. He’s entirely credible. Better yet, he’s volunteered his expertise and oversight for free.

I find it hard to believe the province, whoever forms government, wouldn’t jump at the opportunity, assuming standard due diligence confirms it’s realistic. I’ve no reason to believe it isn’t realistic. Being right and doing a marvelous job on time and on or below budget is a hallmark of Mr. Carpenter’s career.

It’s no surprise his proposal sparked some immediate public cynicism, considering the old school’s recent history, including the politics.

It’s bizarre that after years of the province and it’s school officials adamantly insisting the old place couldn’t be successfully and economically renovated and restored, along comes the province’s most celebrated expert at such work saying the opposite. He says it be done and will save taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.

Why, during all the years of lead up to the provincial decision to abandon the school and subsequent controversy, was Mr. Carpenter apparently not once formally consulted for a professional, expert opinion?

Some member of the public has suggested he should be. But it didn’t happen and Mr. Carpenter wisely stayed out of the politics, not having direct access to the facility to form any reliable opinion.

Now it’s on the market, he’s obviously assessed the property and says previous estimates of the cost were vastly over-stated. He didn’t speculate why that was.

Good questions

It’s usually smart for business to stay out of politics. It might make you, but it can just as quickly break you.

The media and public, on the other hand, are smart to focus on politics too. It matters.

It’s pertinent to ask why and how previous commissioned reports on the state of Moncton High, including estimated cost of renovation, we’re so inflated?

Did the district bureaucracy, which clearly preferred building a new facility, pull a fast one? Or was it just incompetence? I’ve no conclusive evidence either way, but the questions are legitimate. There have long been strong suspicions the process wasn’t exactly free of bureaucratic politics. That suspicion hasn’t lessened.

Mr. Carpenter’s proposal was immediately embraced by a Liberal MLA In this election year and the government took the approach of saying it is open to the idea provided due diligence indicates it’s feasible.

I consider their responses virtually identical on the assumption that a Liberal government would also complete standard due diligence. It’d be irresponsible to proceed if analysis shows the proposal is way off in its numbers. I’d bet even Mr. Carpenter would agree with that statement of the obvious. It’s his job to make sure it is a realistic proposal.

It remains to be seen what the public will think of Mr. Carpenter’s proposal beyond the obvious cynical noting of how ironic it is. Will they see beyond the irony and understand how positive it is? Will the usual suspects object simply because it involves a form of a public-private partnership, something they oppose automatically for ideological rather than rational reasons? Who knows given the recent history of various issues in this province!

A solution

It has been a long, strange saga, including shifting public opinion for no obviously good reasons. And it has long engendered suspicions. Yet now we have a logical proposal from a credible source. Sure, something similar should have been done in the first place. That’s water under the bridge. The public can judge the politicians. I just hope they recognize that’s a different issue from preserving the school itself and moving forward in a beneficial way, including economically.

The last word

Here’s Orrin Woodward:
“The problem with incompetence is its inability to recognize itself.”

personal note - This is the first I've heard about this proposal by Dick Carpenter. Does anyone else know what this is all about? The most important question I have is - if Carpenter wants to renovate the property as a school, then what type of school? Would it be public or private? Surely it would not be renovated as a new high school as that horse has already left the barn. If a private school; then what type of private school? Could it be a school for the arts? That would be a good fit given the excellent auditorium in the building. In any event, Carpenter has a good reputation in heritage preservation so it will be interesting to see if this proposal can fly……..

Now, if only we could get Dick interested in rehabilitating Castle Manor. It would make a fabulous boutique hotel…….

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the CBC Twitter feed:

RCMP getting new $2.9M forensic identification bldg in Moncton. NB govt funding 70%, federal govt 30%

(It's) being constructed at corner of Macbeath Ave and Arden St., adjacent to existing RCMP bldgs. Expected completion June 2015

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:43 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
from the CBC Twitter feed:

RCMP getting new $2.9M forensic identification bldg in Moncton. NB govt funding 70%, federal govt 30%

(It's) being constructed at corner of Macbeath Ave and Arden St., adjacent to existing RCMP bldgs. Expected completion June 2015
Can they slip some underground parking under that to share with the hospital?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The website for FiveFive has an 360 degree aerial view of downtown

Link here

Screen shot skyline:

The aerial has been updated beautiful view !

Link here

And you can visit inside with Google Street View.

Link here

Thanks!
-------
Paul J. Richardson.
Google Trusted Photographer

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, Gusto Italian restaurant on Westmorland Street (above the Brooklyn Deli) is now (finally) open.

Judging from the pictures accompanying the article, this will be a very stylish restaurant, but not intimidating. The restaurant will have a wood fired oven and classic neapolitan pizzas will be on the menu. I can therefore foresee pizza wars downtown between Gusto and Piatta.

I await reviews.........

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
New Moncton museum's opening faces more delays
Transportation Discovery Centre has gone over budget, missed dates for opening

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...703802?cmp=rss

No answers as to why is can't be opened.
The CBC's Jessica Doria-Brown is getting a sneak peak this morning, and has been tweeting pics she took during the tour.

@JDoriaBrownCBC
I'm about to get a full tour of #moncton's brand new Resurgo Place. It'll be open to the public Friday @ 10am.

https://twitter.com/JDoriaBrownCBC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces