HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
Probably because that would make sense and things are never allowed to make sense when it comes to rebuilding the WTC.
LOL, good one.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:59 PM
DENNAB

The spire has been made, but has the radome already made as well?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:14 PM

We have columns up to floor 103 - 1,293' 4'' or 1,297'+ with the splices.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
I honestly have no idea. Probably because that would make sense and things are never allowed to make sense when it comes to rebuilding the WTC.
Unfortunately, when governments, and corporate beaureaucrats are too heavily involved, that is usually the end result.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:22 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I will email my 2cents regarding this spire/antenna fiasco. To whom do I send it? David Childs or one (or all of) the politicians?

Last edited by Jonboy1983; May 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM

Hi everyone, I emailed Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization on Friday of last week, and told him some of the general concerns about the change to the spire/antenna. Here is his response:

"Unfortunately the protocol we were provided to repair and service the cladding on the spire was logistically impossible and dangerous."--Jordan Barowitz

So it seems as if we had just better learn to love the new antenna unless Childs pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Unfortunately, when governments, and corporate beaureaucrats are too heavily involved, that is usually the end result.
It would have been so much easier if the feds had done the right thing funded the project entirely. They have created spending bills in excess of tens of billions of dollars anyway. Instead they left it up to corporate trolls and the Port Authority - Tweedldee and Tweedldumb. Everything always has to turn into a giant clusterfuck with these fools. Seriously, do they have any idea how the decisions they've made has turned an otherwise beautiful building into one that is banal and is in no way reflective of what the people of New York and the entire country want? It's ridiculous, utterly ridiculous.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
We have columns up to floor 103 - 1,293' 4'' or 1,297'+ with the splices.

SOoo close to topping out! Exciting!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:53 PM

The columns are SOOOOOOO CLOSE to meeting now!

I leave for NYC a month from today - oh god I'm so excited to see it again in person, I could just pee myself. And it should be just about topped out by then if there are only about 2-3 more jumps?! Yesssss...

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:53 PM

Question Tension

Crazy tension guys! The tower is at 103 floors! So close to the topping out. I say at this great rate, a end of May or early June top off. I know that there are floors that are very weird such as 103M ( Its an example, don't correct me if it doesn't exist ), so I'm not gonna say that in one more jump it will be 104. How long do you guys think it will be till the toping out ( With parapet and without )?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:56 PM

Occupy the World Trade Center! Maybe they'll get it then

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:08 PM
DENNAB

how can anyone be excited now that the top is utterly ruined?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru Bert View Post
Crazy tension guys! The tower is at 103 floors! So close to the topping out. I say at this great rate, a end of May or early June top off. I know that there are floors that are very weird such as 103M ( Its an example, don't correct me if it doesn't exist ), so I'm not gonna say that in one more jump it will be 104. How long do you guys think it will be till the toping out ( With parapet and without )?
3 more jumps. Topping off should be in mid June, 2012.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:20 PM
DENNAB

Does anyone have David Childs email? I'm curios if he has any plans up his sleeve or even has any power to do anything, it is his building after all.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:50 PM

So, these columns look like the normal 20 feet, so how long will it take to build these floors? A week, two? They do look rather small, and short, will they be built like the office floors?

One jump to 104

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:09 PM

whats up everybody, ive been following this forum for a while and decided it was time to finally make an account...and I am friggin pissed off about this decision by durst (globalist assholes) to remove the radome. obviously their claims that maintence would be to hard and dangerous is absolute BS. In SOM's description of the spire - "The geometry of the radome shell is based on a repeating modular system that allows for easy replacement and erection and also creates a protected maintenance area that is unique in the antenna industry. large helical channels, called strakes, are built into the geometry of the radome and wrap around the spire to direct wind up and away from the structure." http://www.som.com/content.cfm/one_world_trade_center

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Hi everyone, I emailed Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization on Friday of last week, and told him some of the general concerns about the change to the spire/antenna. Here is his response:

"Unfortunately the protocol we were provided to repair and service the cladding on the spire was logistically impossible and dangerous."--Jordan Barowitz

So it seems as if we had just better learn to love the new antenna unless Childs pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
Then...

FIND... A... BETTER SOLUTION...

One that IS LOGISTICALLY POSSIBLE... and WILL NOT stand out like some emaciated bony MIDDLE FINGER to NEW YORK and the USA... And that thing is not it...

Sorry, Mr. Barowitz, but to me, you are going to disgrace yoruself and your company if you let that horrible thing go on top of One World Trade instead of what WE, THE PEOPLE, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA want!

Oh, and Smellymundelly, spot on, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Jonboy1983; May 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added comments...

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:13 PM

WTC Tower 1 by tyfihi, on Flickr

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So, these columns look like the normal 20 feet, so how long will it take to build these floors? A week, two? They do look rather small, and short, will they be built like the office floors?

One jump to 104
They are not. These are mechanical floors as well and will take 2 weeks at least to finish. The next steel rise isn't till at least May 28th.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:22 PM

These columns went from splices at 1,271' to splices at 1,297' They are the 26' ones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive