HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 7:56 PM

NYC takes top honors. Chicago is #2. After that, really doesn't matter who's next.

It's rare to find a good shot of NYC that includes midtown, downtown, Brooklyn, and Jersey City skylines. New York does it all. It has the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none. Chicago does it second best.

Hong Kong's a great view from above, but is basically just a sea of the same residential highrises crammed together and punctuated by a handful of standouts. Never really been all that impressed with Hong Kong's skyline. Shanghai is just an ugly, scattered mess... it's main core has some height, but pales in comparison to others' concentration.

To reiterate, NYC #1, Chicago #2. All others continue to copy, yet still can't seem to quite get it right and remain poor substitutes at best.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
NYC takes top honors. Chicago is #2. After that, really doesn't matter who's next.

It's rare to find a good shot of NYC that includes midtown, downtown, Brooklyn, and Jersey City skylines. New York does it all. It has the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none. Chicago does it second best.

Hong Kong's a great view from above, but is basically just a sea of the same residential highrises crammed together and punctuated by a handful of standouts. Never really been all that impressed with Hong Kong's skyline. Shanghai is just an ugly, scattered mess... it's main core has some height, but pales in comparison to others' concentration.

To reiterate, NYC #1, Chicago #2. All others continue to copy, yet still can't seem to quite get it right and remain poor substitutes at best.
This.

The saying "Often immitated, never duplicated" is right for NYC and Chicago. These two have it all: beauty, density, mass, height, elongation, architectural diversity that spans through the history of skyscrapers, and so many architectural gems found no where on earth.

The definitive four:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. HK
4. Shanghai

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 10:45 PM
if I sang out of tune

I think this says it all fer me:

Diliff, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ho...-_Dec_2007.jpg

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 2:04 AM

Quote:

An opinion is an opinion. But HK's skyline really is something quite amazing. Those "handful" of stand outs actually beats out New York's skyline for me due to the fact that much of New York is too drab and dark, and there are so many buildings all concentrated in one area that I can't really see anything special in it anymore. HK is on FIRE at nighttime, I don't see what's not to like about it. Besides, the bay is much more beautiful than the rivers of New York. Chicago's lakeside location is actually the best of the three, but of course, HK's sheer intensity and electric-neon parade is just out of this world.

IMO,

1. HK
2. Chicago
3. NY
4. Shanghai
5. Sydney (love this skyline).

and BTW, just because NY is old doesn't mean that all urban infrastructure since then has to be a COPY of NY. In fact, I would say that most Asian cities nowadays wouldn't even look at New York as a model for development; they have their own crazy ideas.

I'll give it to you that New York has an amazing collection of buildings, but you were right as well when you said it couldn't be captured in one shot/one perspective. Walking through the city will definitely be a different experience, but since we are talking about skylines here, HK definitely is #1, and Chicago is just much more photogenic and pleasurable to view than New York.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
^You must be kidding. Sorry but i'm not biting.
Wasn't trying to get you to bite anything . Just don't see what's so amazing about HK's skyline. besides the mountain.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:32 AM
FlyyyFALiiFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterfreeman87 View Post
During the day, New York all the way. After dark, hands down Hong Kong blows NY out of the water. I too agree NY has a more diverse skyline, but the topography of Hong Kong along with the sensory overload make it amazing in it's own right.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 2:38 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

What HK adds to the mix is mountains.

Seen at night from the water, HK's skyline has no peer

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Wasn't trying to get you to bite anything . Just don't see what's so amazing about HK's skyline. besides the mountain.
Well you're either or blind then because there are two shots on this page showing what an incredible skyline HK has and neither shot includes the mountains. According to Emporis, there are 7,650 skyscrapers in Hong Kong, putting the city at the top of world rankings.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 3, 2010 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 9:58 PM
I ♥ 'MANHATTANIZATION'

If you guys want some good pictures of the 3 main cities (360° Panorama), well then here you go; it is a really cool site.

NYC: http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=40.....00597&zoom=11
HK: http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=22.....18743&zoom=12
Chicago: http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=41.....64687&zoom=12

Here is a cool one of the harbor at night in Hong Kong: http://www.360cities.net/image/hong-...arbor-at-night

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
NYC takes top honors. Chicago is #2. After that, really doesn't matter who's next. It's rare to find a good shot of NYC that includes midtown, downtown, Brooklyn, and Jersey City skylines. New York does it all. It has the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none. Chicago does it second best.
If you aren't blindly patriotic to the United States then I can't imagine what would compel someone to make such an asinine statement. As if it's not enough that a large number of posters in this thread agree that Hong Kong has the world's greatest skyline but we actually have statistical proof in the form of emporis ranking it's skyline number one, not to mention all the photographic evidence in this thread. The reason it is so hard to get a good shot of NYC is because it's skyline is all over the place (although mainly focused in midtown and manhattan) which disproves your very next comment that New York has, "the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none." Chicago beats both since it is the only skyline of the three not divided up by water.

Quote:
Hong Kong's a great view from above, but is basically just a sea of the same residential highrises crammed together and punctuated by a handful of standouts.
Okay, and how is that different from New York and Chicago?
Also, HK's skyline isn't just great from above, it also looks great from the harbour, where a large number of these shots were taken.

Quote:
Never really been all that impressed with Hong Kong's skyline.
Why? Because it's not American?

Quote:
I like the way he words this, like nothing even comes close to Chitown and the Big Apple.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 8:01 PM
National Capital Region

Agreed with what others have said that HK, NYC, Shanghai, and Chicago should be on any list... for me # 5 is London when you include future buildings, for current either Melbourne or Vancouver (the new tallest Shangri-La really improves the skyline)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 8:20 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
If you aren't blindly patriotic to the United States then I can't imagine what would compel someone to make such an asinine statement. As if it's not enough that a large number of posters in this thread agree that Hong Kong has the world's greatest skyline but we actually have statistical proof in the form of emporis ranking it's skyline number one, not to mention all the photographic evidence in this thread. The reason it is so hard to get a good shot of NYC is because it's skyline is all over the place (although mainly focused in midtown and manhattan) which disproves your very next comment that New York has, "the greatest concentrated massive skyline, bar none." Chicago beats both since it is the only skyline of the three not divided up by water.

Okay, and how is that different from New York and Chicago?
Also, HK's skyline isn't just great from above, it also looks great from the harbour, where a large number of these shots were taken.

Why? Because it's not American?

I like the way he words this, like nothing even comes close to Chitown and the Big Apple.
He has an opinion? That bastard!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 9:37 PM
BANNED

You missed my point duff. I don't mind the guy having an opinion, in fact I welcome people's opinions since I am at least as opinionated as the next person. The problem I have with the guy is that his opinion is so clearly biased it's ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 10:03 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
You missed my point duff. I don't mind the guy having an opinion, in fact I welcome people's opinions since I am at least as opinionated as the next person. The problem I have with the guy is that his opinion is so clearly biased it's ridiculous.
I knew exactly what point you were trying to make, but if he's so extremely biased (he is), I doubt insulting him on the internet is likely to make a difference.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
If you aren't blindly patriotic to the United States then I can't imagine what would compel someone to make such an asinine statement. .....
I don't agree with pj3000's dismissal of HK either. But, to answer your question, NYC & Chicago have encyclopedic skylines that cover pretty much the entire chronological gamut of the skyscraper form, whereas HK's skyline is more recent. Maybe pj3000 is a history buff or is really into the prewar stuff.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 12:38 AM
BANNED

^Yes, that's the one chink in HK's skyscraper armor if you will, that Hong Kong's buildings don't have the history of Chicago's or New York's but if that's the reason he disregarded HK's skyline, he never said that. I'm sticking to my theory about chauvinism being his motive.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 1:15 AM

Hong Kong, Chicago and NY are all interchangeable for #1 as far as I'm concerned. All three are so damn good I think it's pointless trying to pick the best one.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 1:24 AM
National Capital Region

I think Singapore has a nice skyline but it doesn't make my top 5 because I generally don't find the buildings in its tall cluster attractive.... maybe it's all the white, maybe the general stylse of architecture, not sure. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:59 AM

Quote:
^Yes, that's the one chink in HK's skyscraper armor if you will, that Hong Kong's buildings don't have the history of Chicago's or New York's but if that's the reason he disregarded HK's skyline, he never said that. I'm sticking to my theory about chauvinism being his motive.
Well gosh darn it! You done gone and found me out, Phil. You're absolutely correct... that's it... I'm an American chauvinist pig! My overwhelming USA jingoism permeates my entire being... so much so that even my very own thoughts on what skylines are tops in the world are completely deluded by good ol' RED WHITE & BLUE mania! USA! USA! USA!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Well gosh darn it! You done gone and found me out, Phil. You're absolutely correct... that's it... I'm an American chauvinist pig! My overwhelming USA jingoism permeates my entire being... so much so that even my very own thoughts on what skylines are tops in the world are completely deluded by good ol' RED WHITE & BLUE mania! USA! USA! USA!
So a response in sarcasm = Phil was right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture