HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
Full LUBA decision:
http://www.oregon.gov/LUBA/docs/Opin...4-15/14092.pdf

And my favorite excerpt:
"We agree that the city council’s interpretation easily qualifies as a plausible interpretation of the Community Development Code and that petitioners’ proffered interpretation to the contrary is inconsistent with the Community Development Code text"
I want to hug LUBA.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:16 PM

Group is appealing LUBA decision.

"Wizer Block foes take fight to Court of Appeals"
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...urt-of-appeals

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
"Wizer Block foes take fight to Court of Appeals"
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...urt-of-appeals
LOL. The court of appeals rarely reverses a LUBA decision, especially one involving design review criteria - about as subjective as one can get. It's a shame that rich people don't value money as much as the rest of us. The attorney's fees wasted on this would make any non-profit very happy.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Gov. Brown announces the design team chosen for Willamette Falls riverwalk project

The design team that will help restore public access to the one-of-a-kind Willamette Falls for the first time in over a century was announced today in Oregon City.

Oregon Governor Kate Brown announced the selection of Mayer/Reed, Snøhetta and DIALOG for the Riverwalk portion of the Willamette Falls Legacy Project. The team was chosen after an extensive national proposal process conducted this spring.

“This is the first step in rediscovering one of Oregon’s most beautiful and significant places,” said Carlotta Colette, a Metro Councilor, in a release. “We are going to allow people to see Willamette Falls in a way they haven’t been able to experience it for more than a century and create housing, jobs, and public spaces at the same time.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:03 AM
A before E

This is awesome news for Oregon City and Oregon in general.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 4:33 PM

I just hope where people live is by the river and not next to the highway and train tracks and I hope the buildings ar e at least five stories

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:36 AM

Next stop SCOTUS?

Quote:
Court of appeals to hear arguments in the Wizer Block case

Even as Portland developer Patrick Kessi selected a general contractor for the Wizer Block mixed-use project — Lease Crutcher Lewis — and set a September start date for demolition, opponents of the downtown Lake Oswego project continued their opposition.

The opponents filed an appeal with the Oregon Court of Appeals last week. Greg Hathaway, an attorney with Hathaway Koback Connors LLP, is one of the attorneys who filed the opening brief with the court on behalf of Save Our Village and the Evergreen Neighborhood Association.

The complex appeal challenges that the City Council incorrectly approved the 290,000-square-foot, $93 million development based on an inconsistent interpretation of city plans and policies. It also challenges the state Land Use Board of Appeals' take on the case, which essentially agreed with the city council's decision to let the project move forward.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:14 AM
A before E

I seriously have no love for Lake Oswego. Every time I see that town's name, I always think it has something to do with something idiotic, and I am usually right....

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:45 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I just realized that this means Portland will be host to two (2) Snøhetta projects in a few years' time.

That just totally blows my mind.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:20 PM

Two Snøhetta projects, a Behnisch Architekten project and a Kengo Kuma project. Perhaps Oregon has finally recovered from its post Michael Graves aversion to outsiders.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Date set for appeals court to hear Lake Oswego's Wizer Block arguments

Opponents of the proposed development for the Wizer Block in downtown Lake Oswego will get their day in court next week.

The Oregon Court of Appeals is set to hear arguments in the case at 9 a.m. July 15 in Salem. According to the citizens group Save Our Village, the court is expected to hand down its decision by Aug. 31.

Developer Patrick Kessi's proposal for the downtown block includes a three-building, 290,000-square-foot development that would include more than 200 apartments and retail space. Opponents of the $93 million project have been battling it, saying it's too large and out of scale with the downtown's village character.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Lottery money moves Willamette Falls Riverwalk plans ahead

A long-planned effort to restore public access to Willamette Falls for the first time in a century has taken a big step forward with legislative approval of $7.5 million in lottery-backed bond money.

While millions in funding for the Willamette Falls Riverwalk remains to be secured, the investment means construction can get underway as early as 2017.

"It's a big step forward on what amounts to a critical project for Oregon," said Noah Siegel, a Metro policy advisor. "We'll finally have the chance to unveil this absolute jewel in our backyard."

House Bill 5030, the legislation containing lottery money for the Riverwalk, passed Monday, July 6, by a 48-9 vote. That followed a 30-0 "yes" vote in the state Senate. It now goes to Gov. Kate Brown for her signature.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:23 PM

State Appeals Court Affirms Downtown Lake Oswego Wizer block development

http://www.publications.ojd.state.or...nsCOA2015.aspx

The Oregon State Court of Appeals affirmed the LUBA decision without an additional opinion issued. This most likely clears the way for the Downtown Lake Oswego Wizer block development to move forward without further court challenges.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...wegos-93m.html

http://portlandtribune.com/lor/48-ne...s-wizer-block-

Last edited by Rob Nob; Aug 5, 2015 at 7:24 PM. Reason: added 3rd link

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 7:17 PM

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if this was appealed to the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

Quote:
It's not over yet: Wizer Block foes consider taking fight to Oregon Supreme Court

The trees have been marked for cutting, most of the tenants are gone and the Glass Butterfly clothing store is having a close-out sale before it shuts its doors for good in just a few weeks.

It's all in preparation for construction of Patrick Kessi's new mixed-use development on the Wizer Block in downtown Lake Oswego.

But even though most signs point to the 290,000-square-foot project moving forward, there's still a chance the development could be knocked off course.

Despite an affirmation from the Oregon Court of Appeals last week that gave the three-building project the go-ahead, opponents are seriously considering taking their battle all the way to the Oregon Supreme Court.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:20 AM
Karma Police

"Despite an affirmation from the Oregon Court of Appeals last week that gave the three-building project the go-ahead, opponents are seriously considering taking their battle all the way to the Oregon Supreme Court."

---- where they will lose (again). And that's assuming the Supreme Court agrees to hear the case, which they most likely wouldn't.

Such a waste of time and money.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
"Despite an affirmation from the Oregon Court of Appeals last week that gave the three-building project the go-ahead, opponents are seriously considering taking their battle all the way to the Oregon Supreme Court."

---- where they will lose (again). And that's assuming the Supreme Court agrees to hear the case, which they most likely wouldn't.

Such a waste of time and money.
NIMBYs are such stupid people. Let downtown LO be an actual downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:31 AM

I'd love to see Lake Oswego turn into Portland's mini Coeur d'Alene. There's so much potential to turn around the downtown area. Why anybody would be against this project is beyond me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Why anybody would be against this project is beyond me.
In a word, Renters.

Lake O is a community of wealthy sprawling single family homes. They do not want renters. The opposition is primarily using very exclusionary language and is similar to the Clackamas County "Anti-Portlandification", "Stop Portland Creep" crowd.

They see light rail users and renters as a lower class of people and are suspicious that those things bring darker skinned, poor, and crime into their area. Many have been on the record as saying that if these were expensive condos, they would not mind the project.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:10 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I'll say one thing: the developer is extremely persistent. I'm impressed.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I'll say one thing: the developer is extremely persistent. I'm impressed.
I know, at this point I would have probably bulldozed and put in a parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon