HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 4:36 AM

Cp4

Thanks c speed.
My centrepointe condo fee doubled 3 months after interim.
Anyone know if CP4 is offering 2% off listed price (as Central2)?
Any tips on the direction at which the unit faces?
I'd prefer facing south, just b/c CP3 is directly north.
However, the parking lot at southwest corner would most definitely be developed into condos in the near future.
Is it safer to just be above a certain floor?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:46 AM
Real Estate Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichi View Post
Thanks c speed.
My centrepointe condo fee doubled 3 months after interim.
Anyone know if CP4 is offering 2% off listed price (as Central2)?
Any tips on the direction at which the unit faces?
I'd prefer facing south, just b/c CP3 is directly north.
However, the parking lot at southwest corner would most definitely be developed into condos in the near future.
Is it safer to just be above a certain floor?
Yes - the higher the better in my opinion. Plus you'll be able to get a parking space. I think the cut-off may be floor 12 (i think it was floor 10 for CP3)
South facing for sure. North side shouldn't be an option in my opinion.

Galleria 2 will look great beside One.

Martin

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:12 AM

CP4 parking

Sales rep stated that parking will available to ALL units in CP4 (as of Nov 14).

Right now I'm leaning towards Galleria 2 over CP4 because
1. Better floor plans IMO
2. All 9 foot ceilings as far as I know
3. Granite countertops as incentive ATM

Anyone have an input?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 11:51 PM

Shoring is up, excavation underway, and blasting to start the beginning of February for about two months for Galleria II. With Plaza III & IV starting right across the street next month, Besserer will be next to impassable from all the trucks and equipment.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 11:52 PM

I had an opportunity to get some updated photos of the Galleria site. They have finished digging and just started drilling for blasting the bedrock about a month behind what all their notices said. The foreground in the last photo is the snow-cover CP 3 & 4 demolition site. Only the bank remains standing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:27 PM

They are taking alot less chances with the wall this time.

Tons and tons of diagonal anchors this time.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
I had an opportunity to get some updated photos of the Galleria site. They have finished digging and just started drilling for blasting the bedrock about a month behind what all their notices said. The foreground in the last photo is the snow-cover CP 3 & 4 demolition site. Only the bank remains standing.

What is getting built acrosse the street as it looks like something as going on there?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
What is getting built acrosse the street as it looks like something as going on there?
Quote:
The foreground in the last photo is the snow-cover CP 3 & 4 demolition site.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:47 AM

I was walking past CP2, heard the warning sirens go off, and heard (and felt) them blasting at the Galleria site a couple of days ago...it was kinda cool to be only a block away when that happened...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 3:34 PM

Thse photos are a week old but all that as really changed is that the base for the crane is now set up in the South-West corner where you can see rebar and forms in the second photo.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Thse photos are a week old but all that as really changed is that the base for the crane is now set up in the South-West corner where you can see rebar and forms in the second photo.

Is it just me? It doesn't look like a lot has happened in terms of construction in a month. Have they reached their sales quota to break ground? Or did they prematurely break ground?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 12:47 AM

Tower crane was set up today. Besserer was closed all day. Going to be a mess for locals with Galleria and CPIII & IV all on the go at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Is it just me? It doesn't look like a lot has happened in terms of construction in a month. Have they reached their sales quota to break ground? Or did they prematurely break ground?
This is the longest part of the construction process. Just look at those walls....that's a lot of rock! I remember that, for Mondrian, it was 12 months to get out of the hole (excavation and 3 stories of underground parking) then 9 months to build the tower (24 stories including 4 stories of above-ground parking).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:01 AM

So once this is built, will there be another condo board made up of unbearable snobs like the building next door? Because if they get their way, Besserer will be the first gated public street. If I have to read about their whiny, save-me-from-reality complaints again, I'll puke.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
If I have to read about their whiny, save-me-from-reality complaints again, I'll puke.
Geez... you almost sound like you're on the BOD for Galleria I.

Here's a crappy phone photo for the final assembly of the Galleria II tower crane assembly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:01 PM

Gated streets

I am a member of the 200 Besserer condo board that S-man is keen to accuse of being snobs. We're not snobs of course - just normal people trying to stop an unnecessary reloction of a drop-in centre. For readers who don't know about this dispute - see the latest article - http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ke...570/story.html - but there have been a string of them.
I reply party because, despite being busy vomiting at our comments, S-man brings up a useful point - about the risk of streets becoming gated, which of course would be very regrettable. With so many condos being built in this area - the ideal situation would be for their hundreds of residents to interact and be part of their community, rather than scuttling into their apartment blocks and staying there after getting home from work.
But sadly - that kind of isolation is exactly what is likely if this relocation goes ahead. Homeless people (many addicts and many with emotional and mental health problems) and regular working people usually don't get along that well. And given there are already three social services for destitute people close to our condo already - adding another is going to increase markedly the number of homeless people in our block. That is going to force people inside and deter them from wholehearted involvement with community services ...possible creating just the kind of gated mentality referred to by S-man.
Communities need balance and that is - we say - going to be upset by the planned move of Centre 454.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:22 PM

Proximity and fear of homeless people is going to be the SOLE reason the entire building won't readily involve itself in community service of helping homeless people? Doesn't sound like that was ever a popular passtime at 200 Besserer, based on the attitude and complete lack of empathy (or tolerance) displayed by the residents at the meetings reported in the Citizen. Truck the homeless to Arnprior? Great idea, Gandhi!
Sorry if that offends you, but my observation and opinion that you guys are well-to-do snobs who chose to live in an area historically known for this element of society and now are unhappy is as valid as your opinion that all homeless people are muggers and rapists.
No of course, none of you ever accused them of that, that would look bad in the media, no, it was all done by roundabout suggestion and insinuation, your favourite tools of the trade.
I've had friends who've lived on worse streets than Besserer in that area for over 10 years (young, vulnerable women), and they've never had to flee an attack or call the police on a homeless person. Loud, blaring 4 a.m. frat parties? Yes, those are plentiful, and will likely disrupt your life more than the homeless people that you want the right to never have to encounter on a public street that you own property on. Sorry, no sympathy here.
And if you're the illustrious and pious Bruce Baker, go back to your two-condos-turned-into-one and hide in fear from the dangerous elements of society milling around your building thirsty for your blood.

BTW, fear is usually a product of ignorance and unfamiliarity. It probably wouldn't be that way if you volunteered as much as you claim. Good luck suing the city to stop the move.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200 Besserer bod View Post
I am a member of the 200 Besserer condo board that S-man is keen to accuse of being snobs. We're not snobs of course - just normal people trying to stop an unnecessary reloction of a drop-in centre. For readers who don't know about this dispute - see the latest article - http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ke...570/story.html - but there have been a string of them.
I reply party because, despite being busy vomiting at our comments, S-man brings up a useful point - about the risk of streets becoming gated, which of course would be very regrettable. With so many condos being built in this area - the ideal situation would be for their hundreds of residents to interact and be part of their community, rather than scuttling into their apartment blocks and staying there after getting home from work.
But sadly - that kind of isolation is exactly what is likely if this relocation goes ahead. Homeless people (many addicts and many with emotional and mental health problems) and regular working people usually don't get along that well. And given there are already three social services for destitute people close to our condo already - adding another is going to increase markedly the number of homeless people in our block. That is going to force people inside and deter them from wholehearted involvement with community services ...possible creating just the kind of gated mentality referred to by S-man.
Communities need balance and that is - we say - going to be upset by the planned move of Centre 454.
While I would not use the word "snob", and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I must say that I don't agree with anything in your post, including the implication that the homeless are not part of the community.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:25 PM

454 move

A final comment - the 200 Besserer board did not have to get involved in this - the boards of 238 and Phoenix Homes condo opposite the church will doubtless be very involved in this, in future - as they are closer than our building.
But we knew this move would cause problems from the outset - and while we could just say just wait and see, the reactions of the people living in homes rather than condos nearby and their own experience of a similar drop in at a neighbouring church makes it pretty clear bringing 200 plus homeless people (a crass generalisation - these are people first of course) into this block will cause a lot of hassle. Now go ahead - call them snobs too - the fact remains, this move is not necessary and should not happen....and we're not talking about closing a service here or opposing a new one - this is just a move...
And it's amazing how simply opposing the move of a drop-in centre sparks such an emotional reaction in people who for the most part don't live anywhere near this area.... Speaking personally, as someone who has lived in four countries and a lot of big cities, including much meaner and poorer ones than Ottawa, I find the reaction a little odd..... Some people seem to really hate condo development in old neighbourhoods...but things change what we're saying is plonking a drop-in in the midst of condo-ville doesn't make sense and will cause problems which woudl be avoided if it stayed put... It's seems such an obvious commonsense thing to say. I'm obviously missing something!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200 Besserer bod View Post
Homeless people are a part of the community sure some have more then others but we as a community and a caring city can not just toss them to the curb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa