HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Station Square V in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 9:44 PM

Looking back at the old site map, the first three towers were supposed to be 35, 57 and 35 floors - which have become 35, 48 and 38 floors. If the second tower is still going to be the tallest, then they're going to have to shorten the remaining towers (site map has them at 48 and 52 floors).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:40 PM

The one currently under construction will be the tallest (48 floors). I think that's even what their marketing is advertising.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
By Yellow Fever posted Aug 14th:

IMG_7515 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr
They're trying to make it all work together. The strips across the new glass are more of a brownish colour now, tying in with the strips on the Holiday Inn windows. I wish they'd used a different spandrel colour.

I was talking to the women directing traffic on-site (yellow vest instead of orange vest! ) and they were saying Dec for any opening / reopening. They said under the first tower will be PriceSmart, TD and Caffe Artigiano. Rexall is going next to the medical office under the preexisting towers. Bed Bath & Beyond have a big sign up, and Dollarama and Boston Pizza are also confirmed.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the update.

I think there's something to be said for letting a building remain as it was designed (aging gracefully) even if it's not "current".
The whole refacing / renovation of buildings is what led to a lot of traditional downtown buildings losing their cornices (as well as due to encroachments, I guess).
If you think about it, the current rash of "updating" is no different than stripping a cornice off an older building to make it look "modern".

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks for the update.

I think there's something to be said for letting a building remain as it was designed (aging gracefully) even if it's not "current".
The whole refacing / renovation of buildings is what led to a lot of traditional downtown buildings losing their cornices (as well as due to encroachments, I guess).
If you think about it, the current rash of "updating" is no different than stripping a cornice off an older building to make it look "modern".
The difference is this building was never aesthetically pleasing to begin with. There was no,effort put into designing this garbage, unlike late 19th and early 20th century buildings.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The difference is this building was never aesthetically pleasing to begin with. There was no,effort put into designing this garbage, unlike late 19th and early 20th century buildings.
That's right, and as such, this building cannot ever "age gracefully." Funny, this style was popular throughout North America at one time. Dunno why.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 7:48 AM
Ach, du.

Taken by me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:12 AM
retro_orange

Considering the Holiday Inn is almost 30 years old now, its likely it will be getting a major renovation/facelift in the next few years anyway. Maybe the owners are waiting to see the final complete product with Station Square before deciding what to do. With any luck the developers got the ball rolling on getting them thinking of redevelopment of the hotel and it may get replaced entirely with a nice new tower! Would be a great spot for a mixed use hotel/rental/condo building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:34 PM

I don't like the look of this tower. Looks horrible with clear glass making the blinks clearly visible.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:02 AM

Just in time for the rainy season, the overhead walkway connecting Metropolis mall and Station Square mall has now been reopened. Dollarama has already opened on September 29 according to their website.
No idea when Best Buy will open.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
Just in time for the rainy season, the overhead walkway connecting Metropolis mall and Station Square mall has now been reopened. Dollarama has already opened on September 29 according to their website.
No idea when Best Buy will open.
Huh? Is Best Buy moving back from across the street, or are they going to operate two stores there once again?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Huh? Is Best Buy moving back from across the street, or are they going to operate two stores there once again?
There is no official announcement yet. But the "Best Buy is coming" sign was still being displayed a few months ago on the construction site fence at the old parkade building. If Best Buy does open at Station Square, my guess is the existing location at Kingsway will close. The size of the existing store is too big nowadays. Station Square is also a more 'central' location and would attract more customers.
Rexall will also open at the phase 1 location soon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 8:06 AM

Quote:
There is no official announcement yet. But the "Best Buy is coming" sign was still being displayed a few months ago on the construction site fence at the old parkade building. If Best Buy does open at Station Square, my guess is the existing location at Kingsway will close. The size of the existing store is too big nowadays. Station Square is also a more 'central' location and would attract more customers.
There's a notice about Best Buy on the Station Square Facebook page. I wonder if they had perhaps signed a deal that they couldn't justify getting out of before they made the decision to close/merge Future Shop. The existing Best Buy store has great visibility from Kingsway, but it's not easy to get into.

I can't really see them continuing to operate both stores as normal Best Buys.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Nuh uh. Phase 1 will have PriceSmart, TD and Caffe Artigiano. Rexall is going next to the medical office under the preexisting towers.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Nuh uh. Phase 1 will have PriceSmart, TD and Caffe Artigiano. Rexall is going next to the medical office under the preexisting towers.
I think you are right. It will be on Silver Drive, the old Future Shop location?
BTW, Tim Hortons will also open at Station Square. Any idea where it will be located?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:
I think you are right. It will be on Silver Drive, the old Future Shop location?
BTW, Tim Hortons will also open at Station Square. Any idea where it will be located?
Bed Bath & Beyond will be where Future Shop was (they've had a sign there for awhile now). I'm guessing Tim Hortons will be somewhere in the Central Blvd reno end if they're saying 'opening soon'.

I'm surprised Best Buy will be opening at Station Square when the Kingsway store is just across the street. I haven't heard anything about closing the Kingsway one and they have a mobile store in the mall, so it could be one of their new mini stores.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Bed Bath & Beyond will be where Future Shop was (they've had a sign there for awhile now). I'm guessing Tim Hortons will be somewhere in the Central Blvd reno end if they're saying 'opening soon'.

I'm surprised Best Buy will be opening at Station Square when the Kingsway store is just across the street. I haven't heard anything about closing the Kingsway one and they have a mobile store in the mall, so it could be one of their new mini stores.
I am not sure about Best Buy's plan. The Station Square website hasn't updated this page for over a year and Future Shop is still listed as one of the retailer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 11:40 PM

I was there today and they're starting to open the Central Blvd reno end. Pretty much the whole wall where Future Shop used to be is Bed Bath & Beyond - both floors so it's going to be huge for Station Square. It's not open yet but the woman there giving out 20% off coupons said 'next week' (I'm guessing this Sat Oct 10th as that's the date written on the coupon).

The other wall has Dollarama (opened on Tues), The Shoe Company (also open) and Pet Smart (nothing loaded in yet). With the exception of the dental office, all the smaller locations in the hallway to Central Blvd aren't ready yet, and the locations on Central Blvd are still blocked off.

Btw I saw a sign for Price Smart Foods so now we know for sure which grocery store will be going in under the first tower.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Btw I saw a sign for Price Smart Foods so now we know for sure which grocery store will be going in under the first tower.
I'm surprised by that, honestly, since, from what I recall, it's always been the plan to put a Save-on-Foods back in there once the property was rebuilt and OWFG seems to be slowly retiring the PriceSmart marque. I wonder what changed?

I suppose it does make sense based on their strategy of repositioning PriceSmart to focus more on the international/ethnic market, as the Metrotown area would be a good place to continue that strategy.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:00 PM

I've been back and looked again. Bed Bath & Beyond is going to open upstairs (with a big entrance on ground level) and there are going to be two or three spots below it, with Rexall going next door to the medical office.

I asked a security guard and he said above Dollarama, The Shoe Company and Pet Smart is going to be a full size Best Buy that will probably open in a month or two. It really doesn't make sense to keep the Kingsway location open but no one seems to have heard anything about it closing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley