HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:29 PM
National Capital Region

400 Stewart Street | 108.6m | 31 fl | Proposed

Devapps http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9X3M7G

Height is 96.3m tower +12.3m architectural feature

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:01 PM
Mooderator

Nice. The skyline creeps ever so more eastward!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:03 PM

Wow I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Seems to be 456 Daly. Same site as 400 stewart.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:32 PM

So would the current building be destroyed or would this go next to the escarpment? Happy to see things happening in the east!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:40 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I think it's going on the parking lot just in a bit.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:00 PM

Hmmm...nice height, but bland.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:19 PM

Reminds me of this one in Halifax, the 98 m, 33 storey Fenwick Tower's re-vamp;

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:26 PM

This building rental units?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:46 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I think it's going on the parking lot just in a bit.
Looks like its talking the 2 parkings lots line up with Wurtemburg St and that it is going to be next to the existing smaller building (12 floors or so).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Wow I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Seems to be 456 Daly. Same site as 400 stewart.
That is right. It is 456 Daly (based on concept plan) next to 450 Daly which is building to the east.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Proposed spire for Sandy Hill may herald new generation of towers on Rideau River’s banks

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 3, 2013 6:00 PM

OTTAWA — A Montreal developer’s proposed 31-storey building in east Sandy Hill overlooking the Rideau River would be the first of a new generation of towers in the area.

The local councillor called the plan the latest brick in a wall of buildings blocking off the view of the river.

Rio Vista Apartments Inc. already owns a luxury apartment just east of the proposed new tower at 400 Stewart St. That tower rises 25 storeys from the nearby riverbank but only 21 storeys from street level.

The new 226-unit building — Rio Vista’s application calls it an “apartment,” though in planning jargon that can mean condominiums or rental units — would look 10 floors taller than its nearest neighbour, already one of the tallest buildings in the area.

They’d be joined by an underground garage, six storeys deep, to form one complex. The hundreds of extra parking spots would doubtless lead to more traffic in Sandy Hill, but it would be divided between Stewart and Daly Avenue on the property’s north side, thanks to two entrances and exists.

“I’m not happy with it,” said Coun. Mathieu Fleury. “We’re building a wall against the water.” There’s no path along the riverbank there, no practical access to the Rideau, and this’ll make things worse, he said. He’s glad to see plans to build on a surface parking lot, but not just anything will do.

“There could be a nice [building] within the existing development rules,” he said, which max out at about 12 storeys. “Thirty-one storeys is massive, no matter how you look at it.”

The new glassy spire would be more like the modern condos in Centretown and Hintonburg than its heavier-looking concrete neighbours from the 1960s and ’70s. Rio Vista’s application says politely: “Aside from providing a more contemporary architecture and built form, the proposal will also provide a better relationship with the existing slab buildings, by allowing many advantages (i.e. improved light, air and views).”

But that comes at a cost, mainly in allowing Rio Vista to build a tower nearly three times as high as the zoning on the property allows.

It also means giving up the prospect of a small park on the property, which is officially in the city’s plans but has never happened. Rio Vista says it’s waited for more than 10 years for the city to make an offer and it’s never come, so it’s time to get on with a development.

The city generally favour putting tall buildings up against natural edges, like major roads, rail tracks and rivers, where they have fewer neighbours. That makes sites like this one, on a dead end and next to the Rideau, an attractive spot. Developers’ interest in sites like this has also grown as parking lots and rundown buildings in the downtown core have been snapped up and built on: there’s already a proposal for 24- and 27-storey buildings just across the river in Vanier.

The steep slope up from the Rideau on its west bank will make the 31-storey building look even taller, Fleury said. There appears to be nothing special about the site that warrants the extra height. It’s not close to a transit station, not in a redevelopment district. It is in a residential area two blocks south of Rideau Street, right next to Sandy Hill houses.

The application is new so there is no date set for planning committee to consider it.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...610/story.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:36 AM

I am all for intensification but this proposal is absolutely horrible. I used to live in a small rental property very close to the Rio Vista Apartments and the amount of car traffic and noise generated from that awful tower were significantly negative. I could not imagine a 31 story tower thrown into what is more or less a traditionally low rise neighbourhood. Developments like this on a main street like Rideau are something I could support but not Stewart, not in this part of Sandy Hill. Brutal.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 2:45 AM

Awesome spot for a building like this. Tonnes of buses on Rideau, easy car access to the 417 via the Vanier Parkway, and a fantastic view. I don't understand why Fleury is complaining about the 'wall' and the lack of river access. Unless we tear down the rest of the buildings on either side, that's not going to change. Filling in the gaps doesn't affect anything.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Awesome spot for a building like this. Tonnes of buses on Rideau, easy car access to the 417 via the Vanier Parkway, and a fantastic view. I don't understand why Fleury is complaining about the 'wall' and the lack of river access. Unless we tear down the rest of the buildings on either side, that's not going to change. Filling in the gaps doesn't affect anything.
I don't understand your logic. Nothing is going to change so just continue to build horribly scaled buildings in this part of Sandy Hill? Do you really not understand Fleury's point or are you being facetious?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:26 AM

At least its not Claridge.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:19 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I am all for intensification but this proposal is absolutely horrible. I used to live in a small rental property very close to the Rio Vista Apartments and the amount of car traffic and noise generated from that awful tower were significantly negative. I could not imagine a 31 story tower thrown into what is more or less a traditionally low rise neighbourhood. Developments like this on a main street like Rideau are something I could support but not Stewart, not in this part of Sandy Hill. Brutal.
I am all for urban sprawl, but only if it takes the form of highrise buildings constructed in built-up areas.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:40 PM

From David Reevely's blog:

Nothing says ‘We’re sensitive to your neighbourhood’ like getting the street names wrong

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/...t-names-wrong/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:01 PM

Haha Fleury is citing access to the river as a problem with this building? Have you looked at this building's location?! It's essentially on a cliff! The only reason someone would want to access the river from here would be the throw themselves into it! In fact, if the building incorporated the river, there could even be enhanced access to it (communal patio, small backyard/park area/etc).

Last edited by teej1984; Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I am all for urban sprawl, but only if it takes the form of highrise buildings constructed in built-up areas.
I'm not sure what this comment is supposed to be. If its a joke, it's not very funny.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa