HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 2:47 PM

Hickman Building set for re-development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...erhaul.html--- Jacob Steimer/Memphis Business Journal/ 2/27/2017

"A Memphis-based investment management firm is set to spend $16 million overhauling a historic downtown building into its new headquarters.

SouthernSun Asset Management announced it will soon begin construction on redeveloping The Hickman Building, located at 240 Madison Ave., into residential, retail and office space, including the company’s new headquarters."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:51 PM

I was wondering if there was going to be something new in regards to that building. I had seen some activity going on there a few days ago last time I was downtown.

Also saw some people looking over the property that sits between the Artesian and the River Tower At South Bluffs.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
I was wondering if there was going to be something new in regards to that building. I had seen some activity going on there a few days ago last time I was downtown.

Also saw some people looking over the property that sits between the Artesian and the River Tower At South Bluffs.
I think it was mentioned somewhere in an earlier post that there is a possibility of a new tower going up between the Artesian and River Tower. Hopefully what you saw was the beginning of that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:49 AM

Sedgwick to Occupy Thomas & Betts HQ, TNB Shopping Memphis for New Home
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The expansion plans will consolidate the two operations into one 245,808-square-foot facility at 8155 T&B Blvd. – the current headquarters of electrical component manufacturing company Thomas & Betts Corp. in Southwind. “There was an announcement to the employees yesterday that we are moving,” Thomas & Betts marketing communications manager Craig Edlin said. Edlin said there is no specific date or location planned yet, but the move should happen before the end of the year. “It is definitely going to be in the Memphis area,” he added. “They are looking right now at a few places.”
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-for-new-home/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:02 AM

TVA’s Nearly $1B Natural Gas Plant 70 Percent Complete
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
“It will be one of the most advanced, most efficient natural gas plants in the world, something we can really be proud of,” said Dan Tibbs, TVA’s project manager on the job and the general manager of major projects for the federal agency. It doesn’t get much more major than the new plant, which will provide enough electrical power for 2 million people in 600,000 homes across southwest Tennessee, including in Shelby County.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...cent-complete/

photo (Daily News/Andrew J. Breig)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:13 AM

Hitting the Sweet Spot
(Daily News/Andrew J. Breig)

Quote:
Structural steel work is complete at Sugar Services, which is expanding in the South End of Downtown. It is one of the last remaining industrial tenants in an area where condos and apartments now flourish.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...he-sweet-spot/

(Daily News/Andrew J. Breig)

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 28, 2017 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:25 AM

Excellent topic. I've wondered about this myself after seeing some very posh office space in other similar facilities.

Within Memphis’ Massive Industrial Market Lies ‘Hidden Office Space’
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Those five deals total 3.2 million square feet of industrial space. Roughly 185,000 square feet of that, or 5.8 percent, is office space – which, for perspective, is approximately 28 percent larger than Germantown’s 144,000-square-foot TraVure project. CW/CA principal Patrick Walton said those numbers grow even higher when the more than 6 million square feet of new Class A leasing activity in the Memphis metropolitan statistical area is considered. If 5.8 percent of office space held true to the 6 million square feet of new Class A leases in the MSA, there would be more than 348,000 square feet of hidden office space – almost 2 1/2 times the size of TraVure.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-office-space/

Memphis Daily News

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 10:20 PM

This is an interesting article about the future of the Commercial Appeal HQ.

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-headquarters/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:50 PM

Alot of small developments happening that haven't been posted, but there's alot of HQ relocations happening around town I see.

Im interested in the Commercial Appeal's relocation and Tri-Stae bank move. The reason is that both properties are downtown and are opportunities for redevelopment.

I remember Tri-Stae move is apart of a bigger project on their property that we should hear later this year. Possible Hard Rock hotel on Beale ? The Commercial Appeal property has a big question mark to what will happen whenever they move. Alot of things happening for sure.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Alot of small developments happening that haven't been posted, but there's alot of HQ relocations happening around town I see.

Im interested in the Commercial Appeal's relocation and Tri-Stae bank move. The reason is that both properties are downtown and are opportunities for redevelopment.

I remember Tri-Stae move is apart of a bigger project on their property that we should hear later this year. Possible Hard Rock hotel on Beale ? The Commercial Appeal property has a big question mark to what will happen whenever they move. Alot of things happening for sure.
It's right there where a new convention center/stadium/ hotel/ Beale St. Extension shoud be placed.

The other phase would be an elevated light rail to the Airport.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post

I am not sure when they were required to move but I was thinking June or sometime around then? Hopeful for something big there- Hard Rock Hotel would be great and already being mentioned makes me think it could be in the works but either way hopefully something with some height. I'd also love for the parking lot across from that to be redeveloped into something. Prime spot.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
It's right there where a new convention center/stadium/ hotel/ Beale St. Extension shoud be placed.

The other phase would be an elevated light rail to the Airport.

Perfect spot for convention center/hotel. Unfortunately it seems they are too deep on the redevelopment of the North end/Pinch and already committed to that. Either way it's a perfect area to extend downtown (Beale) and connect to the Edge District.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Perfect spot for convention center/hotel. Unfortunately it seems they are too deep on the redevelopment of the North end/Pinch and already committed to that. Either way it's a perfect area to extend downtown (Beale) and connect to the Edge District.
That's expensive lipstick on a pig. But I digress.

Anyhoo, it seems the initial response to BA's New Orleans to London Flight is overwhelming and they now are planning on adding a plane with 4 classes instead to 3. After the success of Austin as well, I'm thinking Nashville and/or St. Louis is next. That's good news for Memphis in my opinion. Those airports we not aggressively court a LCC TATL like Norweigian, which started it's booking for sub 100 fares from secondary New England airports to Airports I Ireland. Going to mention that 4hr drive catchment area from Memphis here and fares about half of BA's, Norwegian's A321LRs on order, and Memphis being around 3500 nm from Dublin.

Also, see this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7578

Sure, it's not a response to Viking, sure. More stops in Memphis, anyways.

Viking from the few articles I've been able to find still plans on Mississippi River Cruising. Viking's entry is key to getting the Euros over here, otherwise this growth is mostly homegrown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:19 AM

Whitehaven's Billion dollar impact

Whitehaven is getting second looks as far as investment. It would be nice to have a area outside of the loop to get as much attention as downtown & midtown. Check out this CA article about the Graceland expansion entertainment complex opening tomorrow.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...land/98542714/

Arieal View:

(Seen before on here, will see actual shots on tomorrow's articles)

One picture of the gate being prepared for tomorrow's opening:

After the announcement of the hotel (and opening) and the city of Memphis part to improve EP Blvd street pavement,pedestrian, street lights etc... business investors are looking to take advantage of the impact that will generate on the street for years to come.

Some strip malls have been built, holiday inn under construction, more things mentioned in the article. "We’ve already seen some changes,” Robinson said. “We have a new strip mall, used to be Easy Way. Now it’s a new strip mall with a Cricket store. Down on the other end, going toward Graceland, we have another strip mall with a Domino's. I’m also aware there’s a church on Elvis Presley that’s for sale, that has been approached by developers who would like to do another strip mall,” Robinson said."

I haven't been to the hotel yet, drove past it a few. Heard good things about it. I saw this youtube. She was there at Grand Opening. She dose a walk through of the place. Looks good

Video Link

Video Link

She has more videos

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:16 AM

City Seeks Convention Center Hotel Planning Consultant
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The Memphis Cook Convention Center renovation is about to get a construction manager and soon to follow will be a price estimate – how much an upgrade to the 40-plus-year-old facility can the city get for its money. Meanwhile, the Sheraton convention center hotel – the city’s largest at 600 rooms – is on the block. And the city continues to field concept plans for another convention center hotel, not to mention the plans underway for the nine-block Pinch District between the Pyramid and the campus of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. What happens next isn’t just about the next project. It’s about whether critical mass in the area will be leveraged for more private investment, says the city’s chief operating officer.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ention-center/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:03 AM

The Millington area had a great couple sports facilities victories in recent years with upgrading the former Big Creek golf course into world-class Mirimichi and the re-opening of Memphis Intenational Raceway (formerly Memphis Motorsports Park). It also maintains the fairly useful USA Stadium Complex. Now, the city is investing to unlock its industrial potential.

Millington Pouring Funds Into Projects To Attract New Businesses, Residents
By K. DENISE JENNINGS/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
“Our biggest niche and our diamond in the rough is our 8,000-foot runway that can land any jet,” said Millington city manager Jason Dixon. “We also have a railroad right beside it with spurs from the Navy base and access to (Tenn.) 385 and a future tie-in to I-69 and a large area open and available for development that will have infrastructure all the way to the curb. We’re trying to get everything in place so we can offer potential businesses a complete package.”
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ses-residents/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Mar 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
The Millington area had a great couple sports facilities victories in recent years with upgrading the former Big Creek golf course into world-class Mirimichi and the re-opening of Memphis Intenational Raceway (formerly Memphis Motorsports Park). It also maintains the fairly useful USA Stadium Complex. Now, the city is investing to unlock it's industrial potential.

Millington Pouring Funds Into Projects To Attract New Businesses, Residents
By K. DENISE JENNINGS/ Memphis Daily News

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ses-residents/

You know what pops into my mind reading that:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...hat-they-hear/

What would be even better is push to extend I-22 to I-35 in Oklahoma. With Millington sitting at the place where a new Mississippi River Bridge would connect I-69/I-269/I-22 to the I-55/I-555 Junction at Turrell(with I-555 and US 412 being upgraded and converted to I-22)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
\What would be even better is push to extend I-22 to I-35 in Oklahoma. With Millington sitting at the place where a new Mississippi River Bridge would connect I-69/I-269/I-22 to the I-55/I-555 Junction at Turrell(with I-555 and US 412 being upgraded and converted to I-22)
Doing so I imagine would require purchasing a lot of right-of-way/properties to make possible. In addition, any new stretch of interstate roadway connecting I-269 with I-555 would have to be built around Shelby Forest (most likely on the northern edge of the state park).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:15 AM

Memphis says 'hola' again to nonstop flights to Mexico
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Nonstop flights from Memphis International Airport to Cancun International Airport are returning for the summer. Vacation Express, an Atlanta-based tour operator, will bring back its weekly nonstop service, beginning May 17 and running through July 31.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...lights-to.html

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Mar 14, 2017 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Doing so I imagine would require purchasing a lot of right-of-way/properties to make possible. In addition, any new stretch of interstate roadway connecting I-269 with I-555 would have to be built around Shelby Forest (most likely on the northern edge of the state park).
A study that was conducted had one of the possible alignments do just that. I posted this back in 2011 and it includes the study map. The Memphis metro has a deficit of bridges. I'd like to see the northern option built connecting to I-555 and also the major suspension bridge in the works for MS/AR I-69 crossing. Maybe the alignment south of Shelby Forest, north of Downtown would be better if it tied into West Memphis' intermodal & river port assets.

Study looks at options for third bridge over the Mississippi River.
Memphis Flyer/ by Bianca Phillips

Quote:
The plans — jointly developed by TDOT, the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, the Mississippi Department of Transportation, the Memphis and West Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and the Federal Highway Administration — offer seven two-mile-wide corridors where a new earthquake-proof bridge and connecting highway could be built.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=2697539

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Mar 14, 2017 at 4:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations