HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 1:43 PM

Pretty decent infill project proposed across from Minglewood Hall. Not a fan of the surface parking lot visible to the single-family residences on Court. Adding a few rowhomes fronting Court could well mask the lot. Although in general I'd like to see more rowhomes used as infill-achieves suprisingly good population density, and satisfies those who want single family to predominate.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMFLY View Post

That's good news. With a named hotel this seems a lot more hopeful than the last time. Would love to see some renderings of the whole project.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
A New York developer is planning to turn Downtown Memphis' tallest building into a 550-room Loews Hotel, with about 220 apartments. The investors are also planning a 34-story office building next door.

ans for the project inspected by the Memphis Business Journal call for a major transformation of 100 N. Main, the high rise that for several years has been vacant, has been in and out of Shelby County Environmental Court and has been in the hands of several property owners.

The renovations of the building's street-level main floor would include 20,000 square feet of retail space, a 7,500-square-foot hotel lobby and a 10,000-square-foot restaurant and bar. Other floors would include a spa, another restaurant, and the hotel rooms and apartments.

New York-based Townhouse Management Co., doing business as THM Memphis Acquisitions LLC, is the owner and would-be developer of 100 N. Main. According to the company's website, Townhouse acquires, develops and manages residential, commercial, retail and mixed-use properties throughout the New York metro area.

The project plans MBJ reviewed also show 88 N. Main St., located next door to 100 N. Main, with a 12-floor, roughly 1,300-space parking garage at the base of the building. Each of the two floors directly above the garage would contain 35,000-square-foot ballrooms. From there, two office towers would rise, 19 stories each. The towers would contain a total of 467,000 square feet of office space.
I'm a little confused by the 100 N main project. Are these on the same property? Three towers? or was this a mistake on the reporting? That would be major to have 3 new buildings, plus renovating 100 N main building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
I'm a little confused by the 100 N main project. Are these on the same property? Three towers? or was this a mistake on the reporting? That would be major to have 3 new buildings, plus renovating 100 N main building.

My guess was they meant the lot next door at 88 N Main would be 2 towers on top of a garage?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:18 PM

II
Quote:
From my reading is the 19 story office towers will be on top of the parking garage which will be many stories. Add in the ballroom space and you get 34 stories.

So....
12 stories of parking, two stories of ballrooms, 19 stories of office space equals 34 total.

Will the two office towers be twinkies or will they have different looks to give the appearance of separate towers. Does that mean 2 or 4 total ballrooms? Do they someone in mind to occupy this space? On the surface this seems big but wake me when the crains show up.

Now, I need to hear that the county and city will relocate 201 and all the courts to a central location and free up that blighted space for development. The old Mall of Memphis space would have been swell.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Feb 10, 2018 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:46 PM

These New York Investors Are Serious

100 North Main Owner Buys Two Adjacent Parcels

Memphis Daily News:https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...acent-parcels/

Quote:
Less than a month after the 100 North Main Building was effectively reclaimed by the lender at a foreclosure auction, New York-based real estate firm Townhouse Management Co. affiliate THM Memphis Acquisitions LLC has purchased two adjacent parcels.

The first parcels, located at 86 and 88 N. Main, were purchased from the National Housing Corp. of Memphis for a little more than $1 million, while the second parcel, located at 80 N. Main, was purchased from Cynthia Luo for $485,743.

80 N. Main is a 12,000-square-foot “downtown row” style building that was built in 1905 and last appraised for $160,400 by the Shelby County Property Assessor.

The 138-year-old 86 N. Main building was appraised for $131,100 and the 108-year-old 88 N. Main building was appraised for $152,300, according to the assessor’s website.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
100 North Main Owner Buys Two Adjacent Parcels

Memphis Daily News:https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...acent-parcels/
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, hi everyone!

I agree with the skepticism around the 100 N Main project, and a best case scenario for a Memphis mega-project seems to be 10 years of planning and revision before breaking ground (looking at you, One Beale).
That said, assuming this is legit, could this be big enough to be the long-awaited convention hotel? I assume it would be big enough to have the hundreds of rooms in one place everyone says Memphis needs in one facility, and it's close enough to Cook. Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
II

From my reading is the 19 story office towers will be on top of the parking garage which will be many stories. Add in the ballroom space and you get 34 stories.

So....
12 stories of parking, two stories of ballrooms, 19 stories of office space equals 34 total.

Will the two office towers be twinkies or will they have different looks to give the appearance of separate towers. Does that mean 2 or 4 total ballrooms? Do they someone in mind to occupy this space? On the surface this seems big but wake me when the crains show up.

Now, I need to hear that the county and city will relocate 201 and all the courts to a central location and free up that blighted space for development. The old Mall of Memphis space would have been swell.
Looking at Google maps and and where the jail is located, the blocks around it just kills the flow of downtown. Big mistake putting that downtown. All of the surface parking lots, and bonding businesses near there don't look attractive.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocup View Post
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, hi everyone!

I agree with the skepticism around the 100 N Main project, and a best case scenario for a Memphis mega-project seems to be 10 years of planning and revision before breaking ground (looking at you, One Beale).
That said, assuming this is legit, could this be big enough to be the long-awaited convention hotel? I assume it would be big enough to have the hundreds of rooms in one place everyone says Memphis needs in one facility, and it's close enough to Cook. Thoughts?
Welcome! That's my thoughts exactly with the convention center. I heard it before about 100 Main possibly filling some of that hotel space gap. The Cook is close enough though. Now i'm hoping these developers move fast compared to most of the downtown projects. The fastest thing I seen move in development wise, was the Graceland Hotel, and Entertainment plaza from announcement, to construction, to finish. Straight to the point.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Looking at Google maps and and where the jail is located, the blocks around it just kills the flow of downtown. Big mistake putting that downtown. All of the surface parking lots, and bonding businesses near there don't look attractive.
It's festering boil on the face of downtown. Like I said, the Mall of Memphis property could have been a good relocation spot. Regardless, it needs relocated for the sake of downtown to a more centrap location for the City and County. By all means keep City and County administration ofices there, the jail and courts need to go.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 4:14 PM

I don't think the problem is 201 being downtown; the problem isn't its function as a jail. And additionally 201 being placed outside the Loop would introduce inefficiencies. The problem is over reliance on surface parking lots, absence of streetscaping, and absence of diversity of businesses aside for government and bonding companies. Widen the sidewalks, add street trees, add on-street parking in both directions, remove curb cuts and incentivize parking lot infill. Incremental improvements would be preferred.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:49 PM

St. Jude to build $412 million advanced research center
Tom Charlier, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee/ The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
In one of the largest capital projects in Memphis history, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital will erect a $412 million research center complete with futuristic, glass-walled laboratories nestled amid open-space areas to give scientists a chance to share ideas and discoveries as they talk shop. The hospital on Monday will formally announce plans for the 625,000-square-foot advanced research center, which is a major component of the $1 billion capital expansion of the Downtown campus outlined two years ago.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ter/339223002/

(Photo: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:33 AM

More coverage...

St. Jude to Build $412M Research Center
By Andy Meek/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is breaking ground this spring on a $412 million, 625,000-square-foot advanced research center, a major piece of the hospital’s ongoing $1 billion capital expansion at its Downtown campus... The eight-story facility will feature six floors of labs focused on immunology, neurobiology, cell and molecular biology, gene editing, metabolomics, advanced microscopy, epigenetics, genomics, immunotherapy and RNA biology. It also will house technology and resources that accelerate the pace of discovery - and ultimately, St. Jude promises, resources that “transform science.”... The new center is a combination relocation and expansion. At capacity, the building will house 1,000 workers.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...search-center/

rendering (St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:49 AM

EDGE Delays Vote on New Graceland Venue Plan
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The new plans submitted to the EDGE board call for 80,000 square feet of exhibit and convention space with restaurant and entertainment venues, in place of a proposed $50 million theater that was eventually scrapped due to a possible violation of the city’s noncompete agreement with the Memphis Grizzlies... “The resolution that you have before you specifically limits the two 20,000-square-foot portions of the facility to have no more than 1,700 seats in them at any given time.” The project carries a roughly $22 million price tag...
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ed-venue-plan/

image (EDGE)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:56 AM

High Point Climbing Takes Foothold in East Memphis
K. Denise Jennings/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The 32,000-square-foot gym is being built east of Christian Brothers High School on a 2.7-acre, wedge-shaped tract of land at 21 N. Humphreys Blvd., which the company purchased for $1.9 million in August from BIC H Partnership, a Boyle Investment Co. subsidiary. While the lot posed some design challenges, it is a prime location adjacent to Shelby Farms Park, the Shelby Farms Greenline and the Wolf River, all anchors of the growing outdoors community in Memphis of which High Point Memphis wants to be a part... Memphis-based EMJ Special Projects has been hired to do the build-out of the climbing gym and will use local subcontractors. The entire project will cost between $9 million and $10 million...
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-east-memphis/

rendering (Walltopia)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post

image (EDGE)
EPE and the City need to kiss and make up. How the non compete clause was established at that low of capacity of Venue is ridiculous. It should have been 10,000. The fact that the G League team plays in Southhaven's arena(could have been a revamped MSC) and there's a larger outdoor amp in that city tells of the stupidity and hypocrisy of it all.

I have always wanted a return of the Wonders type of event. I hope they can pull this off. The possibility of rotating collections from the Rock and Roll HF is also promising.

I just booked Love by Cirque Du Soliel in Vegas and instantly wandered why it an Elvis based show. This is something that could play in Memphis at these venues

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:

image (EDGE)
EPE and the City need to kiss and make up. How the non compete clause was established at that low of capacity of Venue is ridiculous. It should have been 10,000. The fact that the G League team plays in Southhaven's arena(could have been a revamped MSC) and there's a larger outdoor amp in that city tells of the stupidity and hypocrisy of it all.

I have always wanted a return of the Wonders type of event. I hope they can pull this off. The possibility of rotating collections from the Rock and Roll HF is also promising.

I just booked Love by Cirque du Soliel in Vegas and I instantly said there needs to be an Elvis based show. This is something that could play at Graceland from time to time at these new facilities.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:12 AM

Lake District Announces First Tenant

Quote:
It was a symbolic day for Lakeland. On the same day that the last piece of the Old Lakeland Factory Outlet Mall was torn down, the city’s 160-plus-acre mixed-use Lake District project celebrated another milestone – its first tenant. Known as The Stock Market, the upscale grocery store will be operated by independent retailer Jeff Burkhead...
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-first-tenant/

rendering (Gilad Development)

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Mar 2, 2018 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Lake District Announces First Tenant

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-first-tenant/

rendering (Gilad Development)

That grocery concept sounds like it be almost perfect for Downtown also.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:38 AM

More One Beale Talk

I know you guys are going to roll your eyes.

Big infill projects approved for Downtown and Midtown

The Commercial Appeal:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...own/406240002/

Quote:
-Larger One Beale

The 10-member board unanimously approved Carlisle Corp.'s plan to expand One Beale's footprint by another two acres. The enlargement will make the glassy 30-story high-rise a five-acre riverfront development of apartments, retail and possibly a full-service hotel.

The board also approved the developer's request to close a 172-foot-long section of Wagner Place between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Pontotoc, but while providing public entry and exit onto that section of Wagner Place.

One Beale's impact on traffic in the neighborhood drew the most opposition, especially from residents next door in the historic Candy Factory condominium building at King Boulevard and Wagner.

In response to their concerns, the developer's consultants said a traffic-impact study will be updated before the case goes to the City Council.

Carlisle had been approved three years ago for a 3.2-acre planned development.

The amended application approved Thursday adds two parcels: the closed William C. Ellis & Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop at 241-245 S. Front, and the site of a recently demolished warehouse at 275 S. Front.
The planning board also approved on consent agenda — meaning in part that no opposition emerged — Downtown developer Phillip Woodard's plan to build 30 condos where another downtown warehouse now stands.

-Madison Apartments

The condo community will be called Butler + Front Townhomes.

Woodard plans the development on 1.3 acres at 455 S. Front, where Carter & Co. has operated a filter wholesale business for 33 years. The 93-year-old warehouse, on the northwest corner of Front and Butler, would be razed.The planning board approved on a 9-1 vote the construction on Madison of 230 apartments divided among four buildings close to two Midtown icons, the P&H Cafe and Minglewood Hall.

-Butler + Front Townhomes

The apartments will rise on the 4.2-acre site at 1544 Madison where the BellSouth building was demolished nine years ago.

Developer 1544 Madison Partners proposes to a build four-story apartment building fronting Madison, another four-story building fronting North Avalon, a four-story building fronting Court, and a three-story building closest to the P&H Cafe and fronting Madison.

The plan includes 245 parking spaces and counts on some public, on-street parking lining Madison, even though apartment dwellers would have no more right to those spots than anyone else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations