HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:40 PM

Chattanooga Needs A Regional Rail

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/7/9...al-Rail--.aspx

I thought I'd post this commentary I noticed on the Chattanoogan's site. I don't know any of the folks that took time to write, but I think some excellent points were made.

First, to the thought of light (or heavy, ha) rail in Chattanooga - I certainly think it's a shame that a city known for its rail history has no passenger train service. I often dream of Chattanooga taking a bold leap and starting some type of light rail running out to the 'burbs. For instance, a line to the airport and on to Ooltewah, a line through Red Bank and Hixson, and maybe even one to Fort Oglethorpe through St Elmo or East Ridge. I'm sure Nooga would be one of the smallest (if not THE smallest) cities in the US to try something like that. Of course, I'm not sure it's financially feasible. I would leave to see it spur dense development all along the lines and pull some people back in from the outer reaches of the metro area, but... would it? I just don't know.

Meanwhile, a direct rail connection to Atlanta - yes. I've supported that for years. Despite some thinking it would make us a glorified suburb of Atlanta, I think it should be done. It's a good two hour + drive to Hartsfield Aiport. If it could even be cut down to an hour, it might get some people on board (pardon the pun).

The idea of streetcars was also mentioned in that article, and it's another project I would probably support. The electric shuttles have been pretty successful downtown. If we could keep with electric transport running some of the existing bus routes, and get a few of the CARTA buses off the road, it would be great. I have some 1929 maps of Chattanooga - the height of the streetcar era - and it's amazing how great the mass transit was in the city back then. The biggest question would be, could they defeat the stigma associated with buses in a city like Chattanooga (mainly, that they're ridden by nothing but undesirables)?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:53 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcat View Post

Meanwhile, a direct rail connection to Atlanta - yes. I've supported that for years. Despite some thinking it would make us a glorified suburb of Atlanta, I think it should be done. It's a good two hour + drive to Hartsfield Aiport. If it could even be cut down to an hour, it might get some people on board (pardon the pun).
This is something that's drastically needed. I would think that even a rail from Atlanta to Nashville would somewhat work, but for sure Chattanooga to ATL for obvious reasons. Do people in Chattanooga usually drive to Nashville or ATL for flights?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
This is something that's drastically needed. I would think that even a rail from Atlanta to Nashville would somewhat work, but for sure Chattanooga to ATL for obvious reasons. Do people in Chattanooga usually drive to Nashville or ATL for flights?
I would love to see a rail all the way from Nashville to Atlanta, and I know there has been some talk by the politicians for such. Honestly, I'm not sure which airport is more accessible. I have flown out of Nashville as recently as last year. My preference would still be to lean towards ATL, simply because there is no time change. I think the area is pretty split on which airport they use, however. I know people that prefer Nashville. There is a strong anti-Atlanta bias here for some folks - the ones that fear us growing to be "too big", I guess. I'm an outsider originally, so I don't really get it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
I've been away from this board for a while - thanks for posting a few articles Legen..dary.

I'm behind the Times-Free Press paywall now, but if I understand it, isn't the pictured project going to be a block north of the new Publix? I'm excited to see the continued development on that stretch of North Market, even if it's only two or three story buildings. If there is one recommendation I could make to the City, it would be to change that section of road from a narrow four-lane to maybe a three-lane with a new bike lane. Cars fly down that road (more than the 45 mph limit), which needs to be curtailed if it's going to be as walkable as Frazier Ave.

On another North Shore note, I spoke to one of the better-known developers in the City last week. Work is progressing on a building near the Cherokee Blvd/Manufacturers Road intersection to turn it into mixed use retail/apartments.

Finally... I was in Atlanta this weekend, and spent some time near Midtown/Piedmont Park, where my wife used to live. I know there are a lot of folks in Chattanooga that don't "want to be another Atlanta", but I am quite envious of some of their neighborhoods. We hit up a bar in the Virginia Highlands area on Saturday night, and I couldn't help but wish more of the outlying Nooga neighborhoods could re-develop a nightlife similar to that.
Are you talking about the old knitting mill getting redeveloped? I work for a local developer in Chattanooga and have had an eye on this building for the past year. It has a great opportunity to be redeveloped into apartments/condos with retail (existing)

Glad to have your local input. I just moved to Chattanooga last June and this city is starting to grow on me. I'm originally from Atlanta and my girlfriend/family still live there. Va Highlands is my favorite place to go when I go visit. It's a great atmosphere and has a wonderful vibe to it. North Shore to me has the most potential to be just like Va Highlands.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legen..dary View Post
Are you talking about the old knitting mill getting redeveloped? I work for a local developer in Chattanooga and have had an eye on this building for the past year. It has a great opportunity to be redeveloped into apartments/condos with retail (existing)

Glad to have your local input. I just moved to Chattanooga last June and this city is starting to grow on me. I'm originally from Atlanta and my girlfriend/family still live there. Va Highlands is my favorite place to go when I go visit. It's a great atmosphere and has a wonderful vibe to it. North Shore to me has the most potential to be just like Va Highlands.
Nah, not the knitting mill. I'd love to see that building put to good use, though. The building I was referring to is on the other side of Cherokee Blvd.

The North Shore is interesting. I grew up in a smaller city in northwest Alabama, and the NS resembles my hometown's entire downtown area. I like the density that's happening there. If I had the capital to get into the real estate game, I'd be very interested in the corridor going out towards Red Bank from the Frazier/Cherokee intersection.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Nah, not the knitting mill. I'd love to see that building put to good use, though. The building I was referring to is on the other side of Cherokee Blvd.

The North Shore is interesting. I grew up in a smaller city in northwest Alabama, and the NS resembles my hometown's entire downtown area. I like the density that's happening there. If I had the capital to get into the real estate game, I'd be very interested in the corridor going out towards Red Bank from the Frazier/Cherokee intersection.
You and me both.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:36 PM

Work Begins on New Chattanooga Brewing Building

I follow Chattanooga Brewing on Facebook/Twitter, and they just posted a picture a couple hours ago showing that construction has begun on their new building adjacent to Finley Stadium. This is part of a project that will also bring an indoor trampoline "jump park" to the Southside.

An article was in the Times-Free Press back in March: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...y-planned-for/.

The Terminal is already one of my favorite restaurants downtown, so the fact that CBC intends on doing a similar facility is exciting (I already love their beer!). With the Chattanooga Market being such an event on Sundays, plus the football/soccer games at Finley, this could be a good move for them (though I do love their location on the North Shore). I'm not sure how the "jump park" will turn out, but it's exciting to see something so different.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:35 AM

State to Move Offices Out of Downtown

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/...ate-eastgate-/

Disappointing news. I know there have been efforts in the other cities in this state to keep offices in the downtown core. Apparently, Chattanooga's leaders didn't seem to think it's very important here.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/7/9...al-Rail--.aspx

I thought I'd post this commentary I noticed on the Chattanoogan's site. I don't know any of the folks that took time to write, but I think some excellent points were made.
I'm just catching up on some regional news and was checking out the thread and saw this link- one comment in the link is that rail isn't viable - that Amtrak and subways usually run at loss and need subsidy. I wish someone would tell that person something else that "runs" at a loss... roads.
Roads are subsidized and if all made to have tolls, I bet they wouldn't like to see that reality daily...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 12:28 PM

Nashville Developer Proposes $40 Million Riverfront Project

Some big news in yesterday's Times-Free Press...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...project/?local

The proposal is for 70 homes and 200 apartments on the west side of downtown, on the river. This is a piece of property that will eventually have the Tennessee Riverwalk extension running through (or very close to) it. It's abandoned manufacturing land at the moment, so this will be some great infill for downtown.

My only problem is, the homes mentioned will be "2000 to 2500 square feet". Downtown Chattanooga has a pretty good supply of homes that are $200k and above, and I'm sure these will be no exception. I would love to see some housing that hits the $100k to $200k price point. I guess there just isn't enough profit in that range.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 12:30 PM

Apartments, Retail for Corner of Main & Market

The other big news from yesterday is talk of apartments and retail for a long vacant lot in the heart of the Southside.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...tments-retail/

There have been several projects announced for this site over the years, and they have all come and gone without any ground being moved. This developer has put up several apartment buildings the last couple of years, so he may have what it takes to get this done. It would add 60 apartments and 10,000 square feet of retail space to the very popular Southside.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:43 PM

Chattanooga explores local light rail

In a follow-up to the discussion here months ago about the idea of light rail in Chattanooga, lo and behold the City now seems to be at least studying the possibility.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...al-light-rail/

Quote:
The plan is still in its infancy, but City Transportation Director Blythe Bailey said the rail service could largely use existing rail lines, which run to the downtown Chattanooga Choo Choo site, to the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport and to Enterprise South. Lines are currently in place along Holtzclaw, which could help connect Bushtown, Avondale, Orchard Knob and other neighborhoods to both downtown and to job sites like the Volkwagen plant or Amazon plant.

"It's really a matter of connecting the dots," Bailey said. "A lot of the infrastructure, because of our history, is already there."
Meanwhile, an article on another local news site mentions how the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum would like to make a more seamless connection to the Chattanooga Choo Choo facility, where there is talk of building a new "Multimodel Transit Center". It sounds to me like the Choo Choo site (where the last passenger trains actually stopped at in the '70s) could soon once again be the hub to both intracity and tourist train travel. It seems like such a no-brainer, with so much existing infrastructure from the days when trains literally criss-crossed the City.

Here's a map of the proposed light-rail routes. There would seemingly be opportunities, based on the existing rails, to eventually extend service to the northern suburb of Hixson or the eastern suburb of Ooltewah.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:23 PM

Morr on light rail... City Council last night approved funding for a feasibility study.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ust-be-/?local

Also included in the article is a better illustration of proposed routes.

Last edited by Smoothcat; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:58 PM

That would be something if Chattanooga could pull this off. It also would get a lot of attention could be catalyst for development. Would the state support this or crush it?

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 12:03 AM

Considering how controversial AMP is in Nashville, and how smoothly the Chattanooga electric bus shuttle was several decades ago, it wouldn't surprise me if Chattanooga got light rail before Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 9:31 PM

Figured I might update this a bit. There are tons of things going on right now, but I don't want to flood with posts. If you want to see all the things under development, here is a list: http://www.rivercitycompany.com/development

That said, Chattanooga is getting 2 new hotels soon, a Hilton Brand and a Marriott brand. Here's some links:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...attano/402309/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...-slate/402084/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Figured I might update this a bit. There are tons of things going on right now, but I don't want to flood with posts. If you want to see all the things under development, here is a list: http://www.rivercitycompany.com/development

That said, Chattanooga is getting 2 new hotels soon, a Hilton Brand and a Marriott brand. Here's some links:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...attano/402309/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...-slate/402084/
Welcome to the board! I contributed a lot to this thread a few years ago, and still hang around some. We definitely need some more Chattanooga folks on here.

I had not visited the River City site before - that's a lot of great information. I'll add a hotel that I didn't see listed on there site. It's the old St. George Hotel on Market Street, across from the Choo Choo. It appears that development on it is moving forward: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/c...guests/400053/.

In addition, it's mentioned on the River City site that the "Gold Building" on Chestnut Street is still in development to become a Westin franchise. I'm excited for the possibilities it seems to be bringing to that side of downtown, with the Shula's steakhouse already committed to build a location on Chestnut.

It's great to see so much action on the hotel front downtown. Rates in Nashville have sky-rocketed due to growth there and the lack of rooms in the downtown area. We aren't Nashville, obviously, but it's encouraging that we appear to be keeping up with demand.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 10:07 PM

Got a shot of the new apartments being finished on Market St. Looks like they'll be done pretty soon.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:13 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Chattanooga is the standard many cities look to for answers to downtown development.
They have done a fantastic job

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 10:20 PM

Great news for Chattanooga! As a resident of metro Atlanta, I head up to Chattanooga about once or twice a year. I love that town!
Exciting news about the former Blue Cross/Blue Shield becoming a Westin!
Keithps, thank you for the photo of the new residential tower under construction. Is it topped out in that photo? If only it were going to be taller.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast