HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:36 AM
Meh

Good catch on the number of floors in the E-W section versus the N-S. I hadn't even bothered to count both originally. If it's true that the E-W section has more floors than the N-S does, then this thing could indeed have more than one use maybe even three. One other possibility is that the E-W section does have more floors than the N-S section but that the E-W section actually really is higher than the N-S section. I would take that as meaning that the top section of the tower doesn't actually butt up against the northern edge of the building, but that it sits more in the center of the building and that there would be a setback on the 35th floor on the north side of the building. That might be even more interesting than if the top section of the tower merely set all the way flush with the north side of the building. The rendering isn't very good at showing perspective. And I've only been able to count 69 total floors (including the +1 floor). I'm assuming those top two levels that seem to be lit are probably mechanical and that it has 67 inhabited floors.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:37 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Good catch on the number of floors in the E-W section versus the N-S. I hadn't even bothered to count both originally. If it's true that the E-W section has more floors than the N-S does, then this thing could indeed have more than one use maybe even three. One other possibility is that the E-W section does have more floors than the N-S section but that the E-W section actually really is higher than the N-S section. I would take that as meaning that the top section of the tower doesn't actually butt up against the northern edge of the building, but that it sits more in the center of the building and that there would be a setback on the 35th floor on the north side of the building. That might be even more interesting than if the top section of the tower merely set all the way flush with the north side of the building. The rendering isn't very good at showing perspective. And I've only been able to count 69 total floors (including the +1 floor). I'm assuming those top two levels that seem to be lit are probably mechanical and that it has 67 inhabited floors.
I edited the original comment with more detail while you were writing this comment.

The different floor counts may or may not be the case.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:46 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think the biggest indication to me that the N-S upper tower is wide is that this...

... is what looks to me to be the concrete core containing elevator shafts for the upper tower, necessitating that the building extend either almost or all the way to 2nd.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:48 AM

We're going to be so disappointed when this turns out to not be the final design.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We're going to be so disappointed when this turns out to not be the final design.
I know right! We are either getting the biggest and most exciting surprise in the history of the SSP Austin forum, or it's going to be the biggest tease and letdown in the history of the SSP Austin forum. I'm nervous in anticipation.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I know right! We are either getting the biggest and most exciting surprise in the history of the SSP Austin forum, or it's going to be the biggest tease and letdown in the history of the SSP Austin forum. I'm nervous in anticipation.
COUGH The Fairmont COUGH

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
COUGH The Fairmont COUGH
COUGH You make a Fair...point COUGH

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:19 PM

After years of lurking these forums, talks of a supertall finally pushed me to make an account.

With the natural cyclical lull in construction and financing expected to dip around 2018-2020, I'm fairly hesitant that this would get going. Developers tend to only take risks (like this supertall) when the iron is hot in the market and I'm afraid it may be too cool to make this happen soon.

That being said a lot of arrows point to this happening, it's just odd timing in my mind.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
After years of lurking these forums, talks of a supertall finally pushed me to make an account.

With the natural cyclical lull in construction and financing expected to dip around 2018-2020, I'm fairly hesitant that this would get going. Developers tend to only take risks (like this supertall) when the iron is hot in the market and I'm afraid it may be too cool to make this happen soon.

That being said a lot of arrows point to this happening, it's just odd timing in my mind.
I would agree with you if it was a "spec building", but IF Facebook is already involved (and i would imagine involved for quite a while up to now) then I would imagine that FB would care more about their needs than Austin's cycles, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sweat financing either. Big IF, I know, but Facebook has big plans for their future, and Austin is shaping up to be a MUCH different town in 10 years, with the Med school, Apple expansion, Oracle, Merck, among others. FB increasing their presence (towering over the GOOGLE building) makes good sense to me.

Welcome Blue!

I too lurked from the early days of the forum. Now it is one of my favorite sites on the net.

Cheers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:

Welcome!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:57 PM

Don't wanna douse water on the excitement here, but I don't think that supertall design is going to the one. I've had quite a bit of conversation with the Austin proper sales staff and their sales documents often reference the neighboring adjacent buildings. Specifically there is a view studies document which lists block 185 at 422' tall and showing a direct southern view of the water from the SW units at the Proper at 143' elevation. The 422' elevation is from a skinny tower running north/south in the NE portion of block 185 (similar to the rendering)

With how much these units go for I'd be very surprised if they were selling a lake view that won't actually exist.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:11 PM
Meh

It looks to me, though, that the views from the SW units in Austin Proper could still have a view south. The E-W section of the new tower doesn't extend the full length of the lot. And any units in the SW corner of Austin Proper would still have good views looking out over Shoal Creek toward the river anyway. A taller skinnier tower absolutely makes sense at this location to lessen the impact of the intense density of those buildings.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I would agree with you if it was a "spec building", but IF Facebook is already involved (and i would imagine involved for quite a while up to now) then I would imagine that FB would care more about their needs than Austin's cycles, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sweat financing either. Big IF, I know, but Facebook has big plans for their future, and Austin is shaping up to be a MUCH different town in 10 years, with the Med school, Apple expansion, Oracle, Merck, among others. FB increasing their presence (towering over the GOOGLE building) makes good sense to me.
Rumors in the Austin commercial real estate community is that Facebook is in confidential negotiations to sign a very large lease at Third + Shoal. But that is just a rumor until it happens, or doesn't. They just signed a 100,000+ sf lease at Domain 8 and remodeled and renewed their lease at 300 West 6th, so their presence in Austin is definitely large and long-term.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Welcome Blue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Welcome!
Thanks y'all.

I have a real hard time logic-ing through why we're assuming this is a Facebook Tower, because logically this design wouldn't suggest it's a commercial building at all. The bottom podium looks commercial with residential and possibly some mixed in commercial on top, however the depth of the building and the height would make a commercial building like this a nightmare for day-to-day operations. The few elevators would be working double time to keep up with the small tenant to footprint ratio of the main tower.

While Facebook may have a part in all this, I don't expect this to be an office tower unless I've missed something or am mistaken - which I very well could be. I did work on a project in Dallas where Statefarm teamed up with a developer to build a few residential blocks next to their new headquarter office towers to house relocated workers and to draw in businesses around their mini-market. Maybe Facebook is investing in the same sort of deal where they get office space and residential space in one package?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks y'all.

I have a real hard time logic-ing through why we're assuming this is a Facebook Tower, because logically this design wouldn't suggest it's a commercial building at all. The bottom podium looks commercial with residential and possibly some mixed in commercial on top, however the depth of the building and the height would make a commercial building like this a nightmare for day-to-day operations. The few elevators would be working double time to keep up with the small tenant to footprint ratio of the main tower.

While Facebook may have a part in all this, I don't expect this to be an office tower unless I've missed something or am mistaken - which I very well could be. I did work on a project in Dallas where Statefarm teamed up with a developer to build a few residential blocks next to their new headquarter office towers to house relocated workers and to draw in businesses around their mini-market. Maybe Facebook is investing in the same sort of deal where they get office space and residential space in one package?

With all of the legitimate concern regarding cost of housing in Austin, what a great benefit to have subsidized housing across the street? It would be relatively cheap for them to build, and they get to retain it as an asset, to attract young workers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Fairmont is the biggest letdown currently but this would be depressingly worse lol.

There are probably other companies involved that we don't even know about. Facebook may be one but surely there are some other significant players involved especially if FB is going to have offices at 3rd & Shoal.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
Don't wanna douse water on the excitement here, but I don't think that supertall design is going to the one. I've had quite a bit of conversation with the Austin proper sales staff and their sales documents often reference the neighboring adjacent buildings. Specifically there is a view studies document which lists block 185 at 422' tall and showing a direct southern view of the water from the SW units at the Proper at 143' elevation. The 422' elevation is from a skinny tower running north/south in the NE portion of block 185 (similar to the rendering)

With how much these units go for I'd be very surprised if they were selling a lake view that won't actually exist.
The N-S oriented lower tower seems to be around 422', but I take this comment as being exactly what you say it is: an indication that maybe this isn't the final design.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:20 PM

The design is apparently from 2015, so this may not be the final version. It's just the most recent one we have.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:29 PM

Do we know any tenants that have signed leases at 3rd Shoal? Cielo wouldn't have started construction without a certain percentage pre-leased, would they?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The design is apparently from 2015, so this may not be the final version. It's just the most recent one we have.
How do you know it's from 2015 though?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin