HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
Removing the obnoxious billboards that block the view of downtown as you approach the city would be a good first step.
I'd be all in favor of banning billboards in city limits but i guess that'll never happen

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
That is absolutely not happening. CSX needs those tracks to move goods to and from NYC and other places to the south. They are heavily used for a reason. Needless to say placing replacement tracks through a heavily developed urban area would be a very expensive and complicated proposition.
Or "Philadelphia Yards" development, which would be an equally complicated and expensive endeavor. If not moreso. But maybe we'll see it in our lifetimes...It is something that was floated as part of the 30th Street Station District Plan. Obviously extremely ambitious.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 5:26 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
The city should really focus on doing whatever it takes to buy the tracks owned by CSX there on the banks. The Schuylkill Banks are becoming more popular everyday and by removing the tracks would really add to a nice park there on the river. And God forbid their were to ever be an accident there.
You would need an alternate route for the trains to trundle, then. Especially with an issue as hot-button as Bakken shipments (and make no mistake, those are Bakken cars you see there), it's damn near impossible to find new routes, particularly since the Feds are stingy giving railroads money.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
You would need an alternate route for the trains to trundle, then. Especially with an issue as hot-button as Bakken shipments (and make no mistake, those are Bakken cars you see there), it's damn near impossible to find new routes, particularly since the Feds are stingy giving railroads money.
I always wondered why they just couldn't move all the csx rail traffic to the west side of the Schuylkill. Just moving the traffic to the west side doesn't mean they would need to build new rails. Whether on the east or west side of the river all the tracks can funnel to the same tracks elsewhere. I know it's not easy to just move everything to the west side but it would be awesome to have a riverbank like something you would see in many European cities without crude tanker cars passing by. Just a wish that's all.

Last edited by Guipos08; May 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 6:38 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
I always wondered why they just couldn't move all the csx rail traffic to the west side of the Schuylkill. Just moving the traffic to the west side doesn't mean they would need to build new rails. Whether on the east or west side of the river all the tracks can funnel to the same tracks elsewhere. I know it's not easy to just move everything to the west side but it would be awesome to have a riverbank like something you would see in many Erupoean cities without crude tanker cars passing by. Just a wish that's all.
There's a yard under Devil's Pocket, and (besides the main line) the yard leads lead all the way up to South Street. The way the yard is positioned, it's pretty much impossible to put new leads in without significant infrastructure investment in its own right.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if CSX is leery of running two trains across the High Line at the same time -- the thing desperately needs maintenance -- and NS and Canadian Pacific both use it to access Greenwich Yard via Arsenal bridge and the 25th St. El., which means that operations across the High Line are a fair bit more complicated than along the old B&O route on the east side of the Schuylkill.

And bear in mind Drexel would love to claim the High Line for its own!

No, there are no easy solutions to freight routing to the city's key transshipment termini.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 7:23 AM

Thanks for the knowledge hammer

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 12:01 PM

From a moving train so sorry if not stellar - but core is def. noticeable to all the regional rail'ers going to/from Suburban & 30th St.:

[IMG]Untitled by Dewski, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by Dewski, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 8:52 PM

Any idea when cladding will start?

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 9:21 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
They need to fireproof the steel before cladding begins, and I've seen no indications of fireproofing so far. Even if they started tomorrow it'd still be a few weeks.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 12:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Im pretty sure thats a ways off. They usually start that when a relatively large % of the structure is erected.

This is definitely getting prominent as you approach from the south on 76. Its still tough to make out when looking from the NE on the rail viaduct. I can see the crane booms, but not much else.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 4:04 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Was at CBP yesterday. The core and steel are clearly visible from the terrace level.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraggman View Post
Was at CBP yesterday. The core and steel are clearly visible from the terrace level.
What's CBP?

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
What's CBP?
(C)itizens (B)ank (P)ark

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 9:10 PM

Update from Building Philly. Another floor of core and steel.

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 11:29 PM

Is it just me or does that steel toward the Schuylkill look like it's bending down/leaning? I looked at the renderings and it didm't seem to bend in that specific area

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
Is it just me or does that steel toward the Schuylkill look like it's bending down/leaning? I looked at the renderings and it didm't seem to bend in that specific area
I see exactly what you mean! Haha. Looks like an optical illusion.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 1:40 AM

leaning tower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I see exactly what you mean! Haha. Looks like an optical illusion.
since the South facing façade is bowed, the eye might be interpreting it as a straight rectangle, the right most part is actually moving slightly into the building(because it's bowed) and hence it appears to be sloped downward, maybe.......

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 2:13 AM
Always Lookin' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
Maybe it's for drainage.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 2:50 PM
Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Update from Building Philly. Another floor of core and steel.

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly
Notice the freight elevators have been installed on the southwest exterior side. Should speed up all the internals like HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Etc.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 6:03 PM

Photo from last Friday 5/15.

Last edited by Kfmcshan; May 19, 2015 at 6:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive