HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:36 PM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
Right-o SS--if the architect is being a tool, the developer will just get a new one.
And don't forget, you've got the federal government involved in a portion of this project. The parking garage and the renovations to the Post Office building will at least continue. They are over a year away from breaking ground on the towers, anyway. That should give Brandywine time to get things settled.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:40 PM

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing another architect for Cira South. I like the original Cira, but was concerned that the West Philly skyline would be too Pelli heavy with the construction of 2 (possibly 3) additional Cira inspired buildings.

As far as the project being canceled, I seriously doubt it. While not as close to the developer as some, I sit on a few project teams with the person heading up the PennConnects project here at Penn and nothing has been mentioned about this project being delayed or canceled.

If a new Architect is hired, it may delay it, but the Parking structure was the 1st structure to be built and I would expect that to continue regardless of whether the actual towers are delayed.

Project URL (condensed): http://tinyurl.com/26w65c

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:51 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Unhappy

Man, I would be seriously disappointed if this project got canned. Let's hope for the best.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:23 PM
Hello

It's announced in grand fashion by the University of Penn in the end of August of 2007 then uncerimoniously cancelled just 7 months later cause of a supposed disagreement with the architect...I don't think so. Maybe in it's current incarnation, but the design can change easily.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:09 PM
BANNED

They really need to completely cover the railroad tracks if they're going to achieve their vision of a vibrant center. It's going to feel very strange without it to the pedestrian. As far as I know, the only time I saw this mysterious third cira-like design was in a picture of the model, and from what people said then, it sounded 100% conceptual. Is that a real proposal, albeit unannounced? I like the design but it's overkill if you ask me. I feel like in Philadelphia that when someone has a singular vision for a building it generates a sequel that - just like in the movies - steals the originality and drowns out the message of the first one. I don't think that would happen if we weren't perhaps subconsciously trying to play catch up with our neighboring skylines. I'd rather be patient and let development grow a little more organically - that approach always seems to create the most interesting and engaging urban fabrics.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 4:34 AM

hey all --

Of course this doesn't mean much either, but this project is up on the Brandywine website and has a pretty slick pamphlet.

http://www.brandywinerealty.com/Prop...ID=3&StateID=5

page down to 30th and Walnut

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
Resident Jackass

marketing brochure for the project:

Awesome renders if someone feels like capturing them...hint...hint...

http://www.costar.com/costarconnect/...F4E4BCA86BE7AE

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:21 PM
Corporate logo

Well ok then.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 4:23 PM
Resident Jackass

gracias

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hello

Wooooo Woooooo!!
The future is so bright, you gotta wear shades.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 11:46 PM
HERO

thats a pretty nice looking garage, i still wish the residential tower were taller or simply more massive, but it looks to blend in well with the first render ^^^^

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 3:01 AM
Western Suburbs

The location (walking distance to 30th street) and skyline views are amazing. I'm curious to see how tall the larger tower is. Just guessing, but I'm estimating about 650' and then 400' for the smaller tower. I'm just surprised they are not focusing more on the office component.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 3:18 AM
Loma Prieta quakesurvivor

2400 spaces, really? That is like room for 4800 smart cars

The brouchure drops an acme anvil on youre head about being in the center of a transportation hub, but hey, drive on down here!

Does anyone know for discussion sake, which garage is the largest in center city?

If you know the 5th/mission garage in sf, itsTHAT big.....

I do like the overall project..cover up those train tracks!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 6:07 AM
My CAT digs.

1,200 of those spaces are reserved for the IRS. They originally requested 1,700. I am surprised their union agreed to lower the amount. The IRS will be moving about 5,400 employees there, and over 2,000 work on the night shift. Many (mostly women) work until 2:30 AM and there are no SEPTA trains to take them back up into Bucks Co or over into Burlington where a large percentage live. Those folks will need to drive in. I, for one, will be taking the R2!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 2:17 PM
Always Lookin' Up

What a sweet looking project. Thanks for the scan Swinefeld.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
When demolition occurs, does everything get recycled? Of course I would imagine all steel and ironwork does, but does the cement also get recycled and perhaps the glass? It would be pretty stupid and a major waste of money not to...
Demolition Contractors can not be competitive if they are not selling their demolition debris.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:35 PM

[QUOTE=schuylkiller;3442882]
On another note... I have heard some rumors from some pretty legitimate sources that the Cira South project has been cancelled. Apparently there has been a problem brewing between the developer and the architect for some time now.[QUOTE]

I have not heard this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 6:02 PM

wikipedia says that the office tower portion will be 900 ft tall. Is this true because I never heard of this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3cb3 View Post
wikipedia says that the office tower portion will be 900 ft tall. Is this true because I never heard of this.
The mixed use/primarily office tower looks to be about 50 floors, and the residential tower looks about 25 (ok, 23, but to the top would be an extra three or four floors). I'd guess that the residential tower would be around 350', and the office tower around 750'... but I'm definitely not a pro at this stuff.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3cb3 View Post
Yea, I'd be dubious about anything on wikipedia...it's a good start place to begin just to get an overall picture before doing real research. It couldn't possibly be 900 feet tall because you couldn't support that much weight on a platform over railroad tracks...750 feet max I'd say. I think it'll be closer to 600-650. 900 feet is not in the same ballpark. It's definitely wrong

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive