HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Talking Which city is the Rodney Dangerfield of Canada?

tenor

Which city just "can't get no respect"?

For me, among large Canadian cities, just based on what I have heard over the years, the answer would be Winnipeg (even though I think it is quite an awesome place, and undeserving of its lack of respect). Winterpeg, Waterpeg, Mosquito jokes, etc.

Among smaller Canadian cities, I'd nominate Saint John, New Brunswick. In general, NB doesn't seem to get very much respect, and Saint John seems to lack the strong economy and growing population of Moncton and Fredericton. Personally, Saint John is my favorite of the three big NB cities, because of its Victorian treasures in Uptown.

Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Red Deer, and Regina may also be contenders. For Quebec, I'd say Drummondville (perhaps b/c the Anglo press often mocked that place as being unsophisticated). For BC, undoubtedly Prince George.

Others?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:33 PM
Fake News

So simple.

Winnipeg. Even Winnipeggers hate Winnipeg.

Edmonton in close second.

www.behance.net/OlivierGraham

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:37 PM

Hamilton would have been on this list a few years ago but that's staring to change.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Hamilton would have been on this list a few years ago but that's staring to change.
Oh good one. Not so sure it's really changed. At least on this forum.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:38 PM
I used to be THAT guy

London and Hamilton should be on the list too.

Hamilton's visibility would be even worse if it didn't have the Tiger-Cats.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:39 PM
Fake News

Molson, I can't believe you missed the most obvious disrespected Canadian city of them all:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:39 PM
I used to be THAT guy

St Catharines too.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:43 PM

At a national level, I'd say Winnipeg too.

At a provincial level? Well, in order to get 'no respect', the place would have to actually be kind of respectable. In Vancouver, people I know are always making fun of Merritt, but that's not undeserved. New Westminster gets respect among Vancouverites who are interested in planning/urbanism, but it generally doesn't get any respect from the general population despite the fact that it has good bones.

In Ontario, Hamilton doesn't get that much respect. IMO, Windsor is also often overlooked. I think it's actually the most interesting of the three mid-sized Southwestern Ontario cities (okay that's not saying much), and it's doing its own thing within Canada as a cultural appendage to Detroit. I think that's pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:46 PM

Oshawa, at least in the GTA and much of southern Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:47 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
At a national level, I'd say Winnipeg too.

At a provincial level? Well, in order to get 'no respect', the place would have to actually be kind of respectable. In Vancouver, people I know are always making fun of Merritt, but that's not undeserved. New Westminster gets respect among Vancouverites who are interested in planning/urbanism, but it generally doesn't get any respect from the general population despite the fact that it has good bones.

In Ontario, Hamilton doesn't get that much respect. IMO, Windsor is also often overlooked. I think it's actually the most interesting of the three mid-sized Southwestern Ontario cities (okay that's not saying much), and it's doing its own thing within Canada as a cultural appendage to Detroit. I think that's pretty cool.
Windsor IMO has a decent profile across Ontario and in much of Canada. Most people have heard of it and have an idea of where and what it is, even if it's inaccurate and often limited to something dumb like "suburban Detroiters who happen to live on Canadian soil".

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:52 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I'm not going to argue with everyone saying Winnipeg. I find that the people who respect it least tend to be the people who have either never been or have barely been (e.g. visited for 2 days back in 1989 or whatever). When I run into someone from Toronto or Vancouver while I'm abroad, I pretty well expect some feeble joke about snow or mosquitoes to come out of their mouths.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Among smaller Canadian cities, I'd nominate Saint John, New Brunswick. In general, NB doesn't seem to get very much respect, and Saint John seems to lack the strong economy and growing population of Moncton and Fredericton. Personally, Saint John is my favorite of the three big NB cities, because of its Victorian treasures in Uptown.
New Brunswick is certainly the Rodney Dangerfield of Canadian provinces.

As far as Saint John is concerned, I think most Maritimer's respect the city (and it's citizens). It's more like most of us feel bad for Saint John. It has so much unrealized potential and seems to be in a perpetual state of decline.........

To me, Moncton is kinda a Rodney Dangerfield type city. It's a growing, prosperous and dynamic city, but many Haligonians seem to have a serious hate on for the city. They tend to view us as "uppity" and not knowing of our place in the universal order of things. The derision of Haligonians towards Moncton gets tedious at times.........

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:01 PM

Winnipeg.

It's big enough that everybody in the country knows about it. It's distinct enough that it stands out in context (i.e. I don't have a mental image of anything when people mention Laval, but I sure have one when they mention Winnipeg). It has the bad extremes that people remember (cold, bugs, flat, whatever), but without all the good parts that the locals know about.

It gets a lot of slagging too in the national media for things that aren't really its fault (crime, racism, economic struggles during the 1990s), but without much credit for the accomplishments and strides it has made in the recent past.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
New Brunswick is certainly the Rodney Dangerfield of Canadian provinces.

As far as Saint John is concerned, I think most Maritimer's respect the city (and it's citizens). It's more like most of us feel bad for Saint John. It has so much unrealized potential and seems to be in a perpetual state of decline.........

To me, Moncton is kinda a Rodney Dangerfield type city. It's a growing, prosperous and dynamic city, but many Haligonians seem to have a serious hate on for the city. They tend to view us as "uppity" and not knowing of our place in the universal order of things. The derision of Haligonians towards Moncton gets tedious at times.........
I was thinking of Moncton earlier but it doesn't have the same universal joke status as Winterpeg. I mean there's actually a song called I Hate Winnipeg.

In Ontario, I would say Welland and Cornwall. I don't think I've ever heard a good word about either.

HVAC guru

Out west, it's the ugly stepchild known as Edmonton, no doubt

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:06 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

For BC, undoubtedly Prince George.
I dunno.. Surrey takes its share of hits to the face. PG's a rough & tumble northern city, but I don't know if it's the butt of everyone's jokes as much as Surrey is

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:06 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Winnipeg.

It's big enough that everybody in the country knows about it. It's distinct enough that it stands out in context (i.e. I don't have a mental image of anything when people mention Laval, but I sure have one when they mention Winnipeg). It has the bad extremes that people remember (cold, bugs, flat, whatever), but without all the good parts that the locals know about.

It gets a lot of slagging too in the national media for things that aren't really its fault (crime, racism, economic struggles during the 1990s), but without much credit for the accomplishments and strides it has made in the recent past.
Really???

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
What the heck is that?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:09 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Laval!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada