HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:58 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I know Québecor owns the Ramparts and are involved with the arena's construction, but I thought they also owned the naming rights.
Do you know who bought Vidéotron in 2000?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe you. That might explain at least in part why you have a team in your vicinity and we don't.
I think one of the biggest issues is an outdoor stadium. Even going to the Rogers Centre, nothing beats sipping on a beer watching a jays game with the roof open. When its closed though.... it sucks.

If I was in MTL id want to go to an MLB game at an outdoor stadium on a sunny day instead of Dingy Olympic Stadium. Instead of going to an expos game I'd think about doing an impact or Al's game simply because I get to spend it outside when the weather is nice.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:08 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Do you know who bought Vidéotron in 2000?
Yes, the future leader of the Parti Québécois.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I think one of the biggest issues is an outdoor stadium. Even going to the Rogers Centre, nothing beats sipping on a beer watching a jays game with the roof open. When its closed though.... it sucks.
Agreed. When the roof is opened on a nice sunny day, or even on a warm evening - it's a great atmosphere for baseball or football. A closed roof makes it feel more cavernous - which is exponentially bad in Olympic Stadium's case.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:24 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post

If I was in MTL id want to go to an MLB game at an outdoor stadium on a sunny day instead of Dingy Olympic Stadium. Instead of going to an expos game I'd think about doing an impact or Al's game simply because I get to spend it outside when the weather is nice.
Olympic Stadium contributed greatly to the demise of the Expos. After a long Montreal winter the last thing people want to do is spend a precious summer afternoon/evening in a cave out in the east end. People who think a baseball park's ambience doesn't matter don't understand baseball.

An integral part of baseball's wide appeal is the ritual of eating a hot dog and sipping a beer in the sunshine with the sweet smell of freshly mowed grass and roasted peanuts. People show up en masse because it's a nice cheap way to spend a summer's day. Over time they become fans of the game as well. Skydome is devoid of half of that equation but at least it's outdoors for most of the season.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:26 PM

whats does 220m get you these days? seats and paint? Thats the same money BC spent on the roof alone

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:31 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Olympic Stadium contributed greatly to the demise of the Expos. After a long Montreal winter the last thing people want to do is spend a precious summer evening in a cave out in the east end. People who think a baseball parks ambience doesn't matter don't understand baseball.

An integral part of baseball's wide appeal is the ritual of eating a hot dog and sipping a beer in the sunshine with the sweet smell of freshly mowed grass and roasted peanuts. Skydome is devoid of half of that equation but at least it's outdoors for most of the season.
That is a major part of it, but I also find (having lived on both sides) that the whole baseball cultural narrative doesn't spill over into French Canada nearly as much as it does into English Canada.

I mean, there is a baseball history in Montreal going back to the minor league Montreal Royals, Jackie Robinson, Tommy Lasorda, etc. and then Jean-Pierre Roy, Claude Raymond, etc.

But there is a big part of baseball lore, culture and coverage that francophones are mostly immune to. Everything from Bull Durham, Major League and Field of Dreams, to Casey at the Bat, to "Centerfield" by John Fogarty and of course all of the US sports media coverage of baseball that spills over into Anglo-Canada...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
That is a major part of it, but I also find (having lived on both sides) that the whole baseball cultural narrative doesn't spill over into French Canada nearly as much as it does into English Canada.

I mean, there is a baseball history in Montreal going back to the minor league Montreal Royals, Jackie Robinson, Tommy Lasorda, etc. and then Jean-Pierre Roy, Claude Raymond, etc.

But there is a big part of baseball lore, culture and coverage that francophones are mostly immune to. Everything from Bull Durham, Major League and Field of Dreams, to Casey at the Bat, to "Centerfield" by John Fogarty and of course all of the US sports media coverage of baseball that spills over into Anglo-Canada...
Valid points but Montreal never really had a proper baseball park, did it? I'm not sure what Jarry Park looked like but I doubt many Montrealers can remember that far back. That classic baseball ritual we speak of never got a chance to develop in Montreal 1976 onwards.

Ambience isn't as important in football but it can still be very damaging over time if it's not addressed. Look what happened to the Alouettes when they moved to Molson Stadium. I know many on here like Skydome for football but one can make an argument that Skydome is killing the Argonauts in the same way that Olympic Stadium damaged the Alouettes and Expos.

What I take from all of this is that if you offer a poor stadium experience a fan base will dwindle over the long term. You wouldn't believe the howls from Buffalo folk when Bills games were hosted in Toronto.... and it wasn't the 2 hour road trip that bothered them most. It was Skydome. They absolutely hated watching football in there.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:55 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Valid points but Montreal never really had a proper baseball park either, did it? I'm not sure what Jarry Park looked like but I doubt many Montrealers can remember that far back. That classic baseball ritual we speak of never got a chance to develop in Montreal 1976 onwards.

Ambience isn't as important in football but it can still be very damaging over time if it's not addressed. Look what happened to the Alouettes when they moved to Molson Stadium. I know many on here like Skydome for football but one can make an argument that Skydome is killing the Argonauts in the same way that Olympic Stadium damaged the Alouettes and Expos.

What I take from all of this is that if you offer a poor stadium experience a fan base will dwindle over the long term. You wouldn't believe the howls from Buffalo folk when Bills games were hosted in Toronto.... and it wasn't the 2 hour road trip that bothered them most. It was Skydome. They absolutely hated watching football in there.
All true. I still do think that a sport like baseball always starts a step behind and with a weaker original base in a place like Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
..and future Emperor who releases the lions at the Vidéo-étron Coliseum!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:10 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
..and future Emperor who releases the lions at the Vidéo-étron Coliseum!
God help us.

Oh wait a minute. Lions. Coliseum. Emperor.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:11 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
$5B in pocket change. (yes Québecor for the outsider)

Just saw on the news that the name Centre Vidéotron is for the next 25 years, so there we go!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:15 PM

You're downplaying the 100 some odd years of history of baseball in Montreal. There's plenty to pull from to create a narrative for French Canadians to get behind and hot dogs, beer, and sunshine transcends all cultures. If MLB is looking to re-locate or expand, I can't think of a single place that is more deserving.

It would be an easy sell. The Expos brand, a dedicated local ownership group, and a modern outdoor ballpark would solidify it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:15 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
An integral part of baseball's wide appeal is the ritual of eating a hot dog and sipping a beer in the sunshine with the sweet smell of freshly mowed grass and roasted peanuts. People show up en masse because it's a nice cheap way to spend a summer's day. Over time they become fans of the game as well. Skydome is devoid of half of that equation but at least it's outdoors for most of the season.
Not so much anymore. The average ticket price is now pushing US$29. (that's around C$36)

Back in the early 1990s, a half-decent MLB ticket could be had for less than the price of a movie. These days, you are looking to fork out over $100 for two people to attend one of a seemingly endless litany of regular season games and have a snack and a drink. I realize that the Jays have upper deck seats for $13 which is still a good deal... I don't know how the bosses at Rogers haven't bumped that up to $40 yet.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not so much anymore. The average ticket price is now pushing US$29. (that's around C$36)

Back in the early 1990s, a half-decent MLB ticket could be had for less than the price of a movie. These days, you are looking to fork out over $100 for two people to attend one of a seemingly endless litany of regular season games and have a snack and a drink. I realize that the Jays have upper deck seats for $13 which is still a good deal... I don't know how the bosses at Rogers haven't bumped that up to $40 yet.
When your well into the bottom of the pack of attendance you aren't in any position to start raising ticket prices. You sell those cheap tickets in hopes that they will be inclined to drink a few more beers than the other guys. For me I have no problem supporting the bombers by having a few brews and a bite at the games. I almost always buy a shirt or hat from the bombers store on my visits to Winnipeg. It really is an affordable game to attend and take the full experience in. However jets games are a different story. If im paying $80 for a game in MTS Centre. I'm gonna eat at home. And unless theirs a hat trick ill hang on to my Jets hat as long as I can

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Valid points but Montreal never really had a proper baseball park, did it? I'm not sure what Jarry Park looked like but I doubt many Montrealers can remember that far back. That classic baseball ritual we speak of never got a chance to develop in Montreal 1976 onwards.

I would tend to disagree. Exhibit A: Seattle, where the Kingdome was such a dreary venue that it made the Big O seem like a palace in comparison. The Seahawks relocation to Quest/Century Link Field is like night (a very dark, unpleasant one) and day (a sunny, warm, pleasant one).

Likewise, the Mariners move from the Kingdome to Safeco probably saved the franchise. The latter is probably one of the nicer retractable roof stadia in the league.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:41 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Rumor is the Quebec arena will be named SunLife Centre.
Thought this was a strange ''rumor'' considering that Le Colisée de Rimouski was renamed into Le Colisée Financière Sun Life recently.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:43 PM

I prefer the coke and Pepsi rivalry of Bell and Rogers vs the phony partnership they have now. Bell backing the MTL MLB plans makes sense. I just hope MLB realizes you NEED the Montreal team in the AL East with the Jays. You need that cross-country rivalry that won't get old, and having Boston and NYY on rotation will make a very dense and powerful division just like the NFC East in football.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Agreed. When the roof is opened on a nice sunny day, or even on a warm evening - it's a great atmosphere for baseball or football. A closed roof makes it feel more cavernous - which is exponentially bad in Olympic Stadium's case.
I could see the roof of Skydome (Sorry I always call it that) could be replaced with a more modern material. PTFE to let light in however, still allowing the structure to be closed in. THAT would be a good idea IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada