HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 8:57 PM

Cab...thanks for the reply. From your previous posts I know you can be very passionate. No offense taken. Drmyeyes: thanks for your response. It appears we three are actually on the same page.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
PacificNW Its not about pruning it's more about cutting down mature trees or not planting trees that can grow too maturity. I agree with pruning the trees near the Portlandia. So didn't mean any offense.

Urbanboy, Sorry to disappoint you but I do own property, and I prune my landscaping. So what did I win? A ticket stub from John Charles talk at Brainstorm Magazine? To be honest, I'd be afraid to touch anything from your pockets...Can you catch Greed?

You should hope so because Greed is good. It is why we have computers, forums and the internet along with the roof over our head and the food in our bellys.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 1:44 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
You should hope so because Greed is good. It is why we have computers, forums and the internet along with the roof over our head and the food in our bellys.

Greed is not inherently good, we have the internet, computers, antibiotics, electricity, prepackaged sliced bread, and any other innovation not as a result of someone's greed, but from people wanting to make the world a little better and maybe make a profit too. That isnt greed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:21 AM

Here! Here! westsider! I would also have to unfortunately agree with urbanpdx in part, by saying that greed is partly responsible for some of today's marvels of human ingenuity and fundamental answers to requirements for survival, due to the complicit or direct promotion of the propensity to greed that many people have.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:43 PM

The foundation of any society is PUBLIC investment. The Private realm cannot function without the basic's provided by the public. Sewers, streets, energy, medicine, basically everything we rely on day to day was built by the public. Even the wonderful internets had its birth out of public investment. The public provides the means for the market to work. You need both for a civil society. One without the other doesn't work, and thats why urbanpdx your pure idiology is bankrupt. You feed of the tit of public investment and you don't even know it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 4:26 PM

I don't think it was the cherry trees that were the problem, I think it is the empty, full block, surface parking lot and until a building or park goes in there, no species of tree is going to hide the hole in OTCT.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 5:38 PM
Well designed mixed use

^
Didn't Harsch buy that block a couple of years ago?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 4:20 PM

don't give credit where it's due as often as I should...but he made a funny...

Is baby heir to a burger empire?
On the Town
By phil stanford
The Portland Tribune, Mar 9, 2007

The national media seem to have missed it, but P-town has its own entry in the Anna Nicole Smith paternity sweepstakes. … Greg Hermens, owner of the Nob Hill Bar & Grill on Northwest 23rd, says he met the late Ms. Smith while working a hamburger vendors’ convention in Miami Beach during the appropriate time frame. … “Hey, lady,” he said, using that time-honored pickup line, “want some fries with that?” And the rest, he would like us to believe, is history. … Personally, I think we should all withhold judgment until the DNA tests are in, if only because Hermens’ claim appears in an ad in the latest NW Examiner. Funny guy.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...39361629319400

...the rest of the column is crap though...like this...

Not everyone is thrilled with construction on the new bus mall. … Two weeks ago, the McCormick and Schmick’s downtown at First and Oak, canceled lunch altogether and moved its opening time to 4 p.m. because so many regulars along the route are leaving town. … Says receptionist Julie Boyer: “I was born and raised here, and I have faith that it’s going to be better. But who knows when?”

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:05 PM

Yup, Phil always finds a way of getting a dig in @ Portland's expense...why he lives in the area one can only wonder. He doesn't sound like a very happy/positive type of guy.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 7:31 PM
Well designed mixed use

Phil may be a dick, but small businesses will definitely suffer--and some will have to close--due the remodel. I still think it's worth the pain.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 9:40 PM

^I can't figure out how the bus mall construction has anything to do with a business decrease on First and Oak. There might be other issues at play, but not every business that isn't doing so hot, at least during certain hours, is because of the bus mall construction. In fact, I see just as many people riding the MAX every morning past the First and Oak stop as always. I don't think the bus mall renovation is affecting MAX ridership at all.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues