HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 11:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
As for when the floor slabs finally reach street level, perhaps October (late October) might be guess. Once the base floors are done, and the typical floors (floor plates whose dimensions are typically the same) are reached (the tower itself), the structure will rise fast

With the Freedom Tower topping out, all eyes will turn here as the newest of supertalls in the City climbs upward.

Another look from the cam...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 1:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

Impressive speed. Once above street level, this will go up in no time. We are lucky to watch yet another supertall rise on the ever changing New York skyline.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 1:11 PM

Today's activities:

It appears that concrete might be poured for the wall that was formed on the west side. I say this, as the 56th Street barricades have been re-arranged, suggesting that a concrete delivery may occur. In addition, a work platform has been added to the top of the wall section parallel to 56th Street. If this wall is not poured today, there is a possibility that the southeast (56th Street/Park Av) corner tower footing may be poured. Column reinforcement has just been placed in that corner tower footing form. Drilling continues on the south footing pads, and workers are adding reinforcement to the other two east (Park Av) footing forms.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:03 PM

^This is why love this forum,we have experts to explain to us newbies what is actually going on at the site.

Thanks Marcatio,

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:10 PM

You are welcome.

Concrete is now being poured for the west wall.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:40 PM

Update:
As the west wall is being poured, it appears that the southeast corner tower footing may be ready to receive concrete. The middle footing is getting ready to receive column reinforcement, and the drill is now working on the next pad.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Do you think we'll get an official render anytime soon? I've never seen construction begin without renders being released to the public...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:52 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

From the Park Avenue cam, it looks like they are packing stuff up that they no longer need on a flat bed. They are probably making room for more materials and maybe a crane!?!?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:45 PM
Come As You Are

^^ The render with the thin rectangular design is the one being built, without a doubt.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:04 PM

At the rate things are going, it seems that perhaps all three east side tower footings might be poured today. Currently, the west wall concreting continues. Column reinforcement installed in the two tower footing forms adjacent to the southeast corner tower footing, and it appears that the middle footing is ready for concrete, with workers working on the last of the east tower footing reinforcing.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:51 PM

Hydraulic excavators are such versatile machines. Currently, the southeast corner tower footing is receiving concrete via the excavator, using its turned-around bucket like a ladle, transferring concrete from the mixers up on the street to the footing form.

Seeing these excavators, and comparing the methods of construction back in the day when cable machines were the rule, one can see the greater efficiency. I recall back then, for a similar job like this, you would require a crane in the pit for placing concrete and moving materials, digging done by power shovel, or cable pullshovels (backhoes), perhaps a small backhoe/loader for digging smaller holes, etc. Now, with quick couplers on the hydraulic excavator, it's just a matter of dropping an attacment, and picking up another in a matter of seconds for the task at hand. Back then, when hydraulic hammers were not available, there was quite a bit more blasting required. On this job, the excavators were used as: cranes for lifting, concrete wheelbarrow, rock breakers as well as excavating.

The three large excavators are Hitachi Xaxis 800 (the triple boom machine used as a crane) and the other two are Xaxis 850 machines. Also on site is a Hitachi short-swing excavator (the smaller one seen in the corner beside the air compressor), plus a mini-excavator.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 6:54 PM

All three east tower footings have been poured. Drilling continues on the south tower footing pads. When the remaining five south footing pads have had the tendons installed, formed, and footing and column reinforcement installed, the tower footings for the future tower will be completed.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Do you think we'll get an official render anytime soon? I've never seen construction begin without renders being released to the public...
You may have missed these ones?

432 Park Renderings

& Marcatio: thanks so much for the awesome updates! It's great to have someone with 'insider' knowledge on the process, makes the anticipation that much more interesting.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:35 PM

Last report for the day.

The drill crew puts in a little O/T. The rest of the crew normally knocks off at 3:30PM (EST). the drill crew are continuing to drill, working on the third pad. If they work over the weekend drilling the remaining pads, it is conceivable that tendon installation can begin on Monday.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:40 PM

As I have said before, watching the progress via the webcam has been especially fun. What little I know about the process, I am happy to share.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Impressive speed. Once above street level, this will go up in no time. We are lucky to watch yet another supertall rise on the ever changing New York skyline.
In your opinion, when will be top out this fantastic tower ?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 2:59 AM
Mr. Technology

According to the official site, this project will consist of 3 buildings, where the retail component will be more iconic than the Apple cube !!

Imagine another Apple store !!
I hope it won't be a Microsoft or Google store.

Perhaps a second Nintendo World?
Maybe a super Sony Style store?

This question will keep me on the edge of my seat.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 3:04 AM
Come As You Are

^^ Uh... does Microsoft even have stores?
I still find apple-esque glass boxes ugly. Hope it will look better than the generic ones you find around.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 4:37 AM

Microsoft does have stores.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 8:56 AM

Microsoft's NYC flagship is going to be in 250 West 55th.

Apple already has a flagship, its cube.

I doubt Google will open a store, but it would make quite the splash if they did it here... I'd hedge on a luxury brand that has low penetration in the NAmerican market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive