HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:19 AM

Calgary Considers Hosting Expo 2017

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:31 AM
not a NIMBY

dumb idea, a waste of money

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:31 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Funny that all this came out while Stelmach was at City Hall. It's going to be interesting to see who the province backs financially.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:34 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:37 AM

Who pays attention to the worlds fair anymore. Waste of money, no thanks.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:50 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Didn't we try this a few years back and not get it?

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:55 AM

^Yeah, Calgary bid for the 2005 expo and lost to Aichi, Japan.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:25 AM

The big difference is that 2005 was a registered fair which lasts 6 weeks to 6 months, 2017 is a recognized fair which is orders of magnitudes cheaper and can last from 3 weeks to 3 months and can't exceed a certain area. Registered fairs also typically involve each participating country to build their own pavillions, whereas for the other type the host builds (or rents) smaller facilities for the fair to use.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 5:25 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Fuck y'all, I'm looking forward to visiting the wigsphere.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Fuck y'all, I'm looking forward to visiting the wigsphere.
"Remember, we're parked under the Sunsphere."

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 5:23 PM

I'd like to see this happen...if it brings tourist dollars & global recognotion to our city, it can't be a bad thing!!

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 9:12 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I'd like to see this happen...if it brings tourist dollars & global recognotion to our city, it can't be a bad thing!!
Agreed. It could also bring in some good infrastructure money from the feds and help fast track LRT projects.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 9:15 PM

I'm actually pissed that you guys would consider doing it the same year we've been planning for years. No offense to you guys, but can your council, etc. just not handle Edmonton getting a nice event?

We've worked really hard on our bid, and we've been known to host good events, so I hope we'll still get this.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I'm actually pissed that you guys would consider doing it the same year we've been planning for years. No offense to you guys, but can your council, etc. just not handle Edmonton getting a nice event?

We've worked really hard on our bid, and we've been known to host good events, so I hope we'll still get this.
No offense to Edmonton either, but all cities have the same right to bid on these events! May the best bid win

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post

I don't know why you're so worked up about this? The 2017 world's fair is not the well known registered world's fair (Expo 86 Vancouver, Seville 92, etc... or the one Calgary bid on in the late 90's), it's a backwater/nobody cares about fair. Nobody outside of Edmonton or Calgary would even know or care about it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 8:26 PM

/\Actually apparently '86 was only a Recognized Exposition. The Universal Expositions are done only every 5 years now - (2000 Hannover, 2005 Nagoya/Aichi, 2010 Shanghai and 2015 Milan) while the smaller Recognized Expos are staged in between. A number of major World cities including NY, Manila and Sao Paulo have expressed interest in bidding for 2020 - so a Universal Expo is increasingly becoming an event that only very large cities can undertake, adn thus probably out of reach for Calgary or Edmonton. That's probably why relatively small, isolated Calgary lost to Nagoya for 2005, even though many considered Calgary to have the superior bid.

Anyways, I see nothing wrong with both cities throwing their hats in the ring to be Canada's official bid city. Bottom line is, Calgary and Edmonton are the only two Canadian bid cities so one way or another, Canada's Expo candidate will be in Alberta!

I think if Alberta were to land the Expo, it would be very good for either city. Even these smaller Recognized exhibitions typically draw over 10 million attendees - so this would be a major boon to either city, bringing potentially millions of tourists, much needed infrastructure dollars, and at least some measure of international attention.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 8:35 PM
Editor

Unfortunately, international politics was the one and only reason Calgary lost the vote to Nagoya. Calgary's bid was superior to the Nagoya's, and Nagoya even had the problem of it's own residents pretesting against it.

In the end it didn't matter how good the bid was, the countries who voted weren't interested in the actual bids. Britain for example voted for Nagoya, and they admitted it was only to improve their relations with Japan. This was the case for pretty much all the European countries.

Calgary actually made the voting a bit of a race by signing up some small Caribbean nations, and getting them into the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
/\Actually apparently '86 was only a Recognized Exposition. The Universal Expositions are done only every 5 years now - (2000 Hannover, 2005 Nagoya/Aichi, 2010 Shanghai and 2015 Milan) while the smaller Recognized Expos are staged in between. A number of major World cities including NY, Manila and Sao Paulo have expressed interest in bidding for 2020 - so a Universal Expo is increasingly becoming an event that only very large cities can undertake, adn thus probably out of reach for Calgary or Edmonton. That's probably why relatively small, isolated Calgary lost to Nagoya for 2005, even though many considered Calgary to have the superior bid.

Anyways, I see nothing wrong with both cities throwing their hats in the ring to be Canada's official bid city. Bottom line is, Calgary and Edmonton are the only two Canadian bid cities so one way or another, Canada's Expo candidate will be in Alberta!

I think if Alberta were to land the Expo, it would be very good for either city. Even these smaller Recognized exhibitions typically draw over 10 million attendees - so this would be a major boon to either city, bringing potentially millions of tourists, much needed infrastructure dollars, and at least some measure of international attention.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Unfortunately, international politics was the one and only reason Calgary lost the vote to Nagoya. Calgary's bid was superior to the Nagoya's, and Nagoya even had the problem of it's own residents pretesting against it.

In the end it didn't matter how good the bid was, the countries who voted weren't interested in the actual bids. Britain for example voted for Nagoya, and they admitted it was only to improve their relations with Japan. This was the case for pretty much all the European countries.

Calgary actually made the voting a bit of a race by signing up some small Caribbean nations, and getting them into the voting.

Yeah, politics always enters into it - much like the olympics - but we were David against Goliath right from the beginning. We were against a city 10x our size, in a country with a huge domestic market, and a government that both loves to spend incredible amounts of money on infrastructure, and also can demand favours from the international community.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation