HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:36 PM
effete latte-lifter

CPO Violinist awarded $4.3M Stradivarius

Quote:
<H3>Violinist takes a bow with $4.3M instrument
Quote:

By DOUG MCINTYRE, SUN MEDIA
Last Updated: 25th September 2009, 3:06am

From a $5,000 violin to one valued at $4.3 million, such is the harmonious upgrade that's sweet music to the ears of the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra's newest luminary.
Acclaimed violinist Renee-Paule Gauthier, 32, who moved to Calgary two weeks ago, is one of 14 Canadian musicians who yesterday received exquisitely hand-crafted instruments on loan for three years from the Canada Council for the Arts....
</H3>http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber...09726-sun.html

So, who wants to write a letter complaining about fancy foreign violin builders and how she could have gotten a violin diesigned by a local cabinet maker for a few thousand bucks?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:39 PM

I'd have more of a problem with the government spending about $60 million on 14 violins.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 10:56 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

So that's where Stratovarius got their name. Who knew?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I'd have more of a problem with the government spending about $60 million on 14 violins.

Not every instrument in that collection is worth nearly what that Taft Strad is. Also, the goverment did not buy a lot of them, they were gifted, or are placed in trust by other investors. Thirdly string instruments are the safest investment in the entire world. Vinatge Italian instruments are a market that has never gone down. Most of these instruments were worth A LOT less when they were acquired.
Also, Stradavariuis not a thehey but a him. 1 guy, which is the single most contributing factor to their value; an ever increasing demand for a supply that is slowly shrinking.

Renee's back in town early next week.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:07 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Be that as it may, 4.3 Million? Seriously? Thats money that couldn't have been spent somewhere else like upgrading the facilities the CPO play in?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Be that as it may, 4.3 Million? Seriously? Thats money that couldn't have been spent somewhere else like upgrading the facilities the CPO play in?
I would love to hear a recording of the difference in sound that makes it worth 4.295 million more.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 4:43 AM

Is she going to play this thing? sounds like it belongs in a hermetically sealed case.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:03 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Maybe the Flames pay Daymond Langkow with Stradavariuis's in order to save cap room...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:17 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Sigh, did anyone read the article? She was awarded the violin, which is owned by anonymous investors, (likely an investment bank) but is managed by the Canada Council, who hold competitions ever year for young musicians who's career could benefit in a big way by having a top quality instrument. She has it for a least the next 3 years. This particular violin sold at auction just a few years ago for 2.4 million, and then again to the current owner this year for $4.3M. It's a pretty safe investment...

The CPO's only expense was let her out of work for a week to travel to the competition in Toronto.

As for the value.. well, needless to say no one is making 18th century violins anymore, so it's the simplest case of supply and demand economics I can think of.

Calgarian, of course she's going to play it, that's the point. It's worthless otherwise. A violin is a tool, not a piece of art. That like saying the Flames should stick Jarome Iginla in hermetically sealed case because he's worth 7 million dollars.

Here's a CBC article with a little more info. Renee-Paule is in the pink dress.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...09winners.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:31 AM

Well, I'm happy for her, I'm sure it is thrilling to be able to even touch such a thing, that has such a long history, dating back to the 17th century.

Let's hope there's not another "priceless instrument stolen from vehicle as owner runs in to the Wal*Mart" story in 3 months...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:10 PM
Round Head

Amazing, there's an $8 million cello in the group as well! It will suck to have to go back to their regular instruments after the loan ends!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Sigh, did anyone read the article? She was awarded the violin, which is owned by anonymous investors, (likely an investment bank) but is managed by the Canada Council, who hold competitions ever year for young musicians who's career could benefit in a big way by having a top quality instrument. She has it for a least the next 3 years. This particular violin sold at auction just a few years ago for 2.4 million, and then again to the current owner this year for $4.3M. It's a pretty safe investment...

The CPO's only expense was let her out of work for a week to travel to the competition in Toronto.

As for the value.. well, needless to say no one is making 18th century violins anymore, so it's the simplest case of supply and demand economics I can think of.

Calgarian, of course she's going to play it, that's the point. It's worthless otherwise. A violin is a tool, not a piece of art. That like saying the Flames should stick Jarome Iginla in hermetically sealed case because he's worth 7 million dollars.

Here's a CBC article with a little more info. Renee-Paule is in the pink dress.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...09winners.html
How durable is a 300 year old Violin? I would be worried about damaging it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:19 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^ No less durable han a 2 year old violin really, and in some ways more reliable, because wood "settles" over time. (think about how hardwood floors crack and split in the first few years after installation, vs 70 year old hardwood floors.) However, Calgary's climate is very hard on string instruments, the near total lack of humidity is not good for wood. That would be what would freak me out most about bringing a 4 million dallr instrument hear. My bass required a $6000 restoration after 6 years of Calgary winters.
Because of this, one guy is playing a violia made of carbon fibre. His good instrment is worth quit a bit, but he's sticking to the carbon instrument for now.

There are other instruments owned by CPO musicians worth close to a million dollars though. The justificaion for spending the money is usually that the return is better than a typical RRSP or any other usual type of investment. You're playing your retirement savings, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster
Amazing, there's an $8 million cello in the group as well! It will suck to have to go back to their regular instruments after the loan ends!
I think the hope is that mearly by having one of these loan instruments, you're career path will be boosted enough that you will either be loaned a new instrument of similar quality on a perminant basis, or possibly the actual owner will pull their instrument from the Canada Council Bank, and loan it to you directly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Maybe Samuel L. Jackson will find a way to steal it from an auction

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I was surprised to read that half of the instruments came from an American collector.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation