HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:21 PM
Mooderator

[Gatineau] Cartier-Wellington | ??m | 14 fl | Proposed

New condo proposal for downtown Hull

*** Construction to start Fall 2010, occupancy Spring 2012******

Address: 150 rue Wellington (corner Wellington/Leduc)

140 luxury condo units - Price range $150K - $1 Million

Rendering:

http://cartierwellington.ca/bienvenue_en.html

(thanks to Radster for the link).

Last edited by harls; Apr 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:25 PM
National Capital Region

Nice! Who is the architect for this one?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 12:11 AM

That's pretty nice, and would give the downtown a fresh start...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:06 AM

Wow, a million in Hull is certainly ambitious.

I've always thought that Hull could tap a great market by developing its core like cities along the Hudson river in New Jersey successfully did, by marketing its proximity to the actual city and tremendous value for money. With height restrictions on the Gatineau side considerably more relaxed, this may be the future for them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:03 PM
Mooderator

I'm not sure who the architect is, WW.

Agreed there is so much potential for this area. With this project, the Chez Henri refit, and the recently announced Federal building a just couple of blocks to the west, things are starting to pick up.

I'm sure the million dollar view includes Parliament Hill.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm not sure who the architect is, WW.

Agreed there is so much potential for this area. With this project, the Chez Henri refit, and the recently announced Federal building a just couple of blocks to the west, things are starting to pick up.

I'm sure the million dollar view includes Parliament Hill.
The top floors are likely to have great views. Hull is “terraced” (bad translation) in the sense that elevation slowly but surely rises as you move away from the river. Almost every street is higher than the previous parallel one as you move north. Laurier near the river is lower than promenade du Portage, which in turn is lower than Wellington (where the condo building will be), and so on.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:37 PM
Mooderator

Yes, that's true - then it sort of drops down again roughly along Papineau (where the outdoor swimming pool is).

I did a rough photoshop as to what this will look like from the Ottawa side. Probably will be a bit higher, just eyeballing it.

from I picture I took when things were just a bit warmer..

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 3:48 PM

$1M is not that ambitious actually, as for that price, you will get a top floor penthouse of well over 2,000sq ft! How much would you pay for a similar type of unit in downtown Ottawa? At least double!

Keep in mind, the location of this place is amazing, especially for anyone who works in the Portage / Terasses complexes.

Also, this will be a LEED certified building (not sure which level though). There will be a lap pool downstairs, and a huge green roof/terrace, with BBQs, grass, trees, showers and a couple jacuzzis.

Worth noting is the fact that the City of Gatineau want to populate the island of Hull, so anyone who buys a unit in a new construction on the island, gets a roughly 75% rebate on property taxes for 10 years, which is a HUGE incentive if you ask me!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 3:34 PM
Mooderator

Here is the site - I took this at the top of the parking garage across the street.

Coming soon!

Last edited by harls; Mar 9, 2010 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
That's an interesting and attractive looking building. It'll be a huge upgrade from the void that's there currently.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:20 PM

Let's see if it gets built first. Personally I hope it does, but this kind of development is unprecedented in Gatineau.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post

Let's see if it gets built first. Personally I hope it does, but this kind of development is unprecedented in Gatineau.
They are rare but there have been some. Probably the best example is the Port de Plaisance luxury condo tower on Laurier just across from Parc Jacques-Cartier. It was built around 20 years ago if I recall.

Depending on your point of view, the "Park Place du Parc" condos under construction to the west on Alexandre-Taché might fall into this category.

And Brigil's Place Champlain development near the Champlain Bridge as well (maybe).

But yeah, I have seen a lot of signs for developments that have never materialized.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:50 PM
Mooderator

At least these guys have a functioning website.. that's a start

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
Citizen-at-large

I think that Gatineau has been showing some real vision with regards to their downtown, and that their policies to promote its development will soon start to pay off. I think that this building will get built, and that purchasing a unit in it would be a great investment because you would truly be getting in on the ground floor for Hull's revitalization.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:24 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Gatineau could definitely do what Brooklyn has done; by being close to a major tourism/business destination, they could offer great things at a great price right next to the action so to speak.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I think that Gatineau has been showing some real vision with regards to their downtown, and that their policies to promote its development will soon start to pay off. I think that this building will get built, and that purchasing a unit in it would be a great investment because you would truly be getting in on the ground floor for Hull's revitalization.
I hope you are right but although there are some things going on, I am not sure that they are part of any form of concerted plan.

But maybe I am wrong and my perspective is just that of an outsider who isn't aware of the efforts being made...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:45 AM
Mooderator

There is a plan. How and when they pull it off is still yet to be seen.

http://gatineau.ca/page.asp?p=guiche...ielle_ile_hull

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:08 PM

It all looks great to me...will be cool to follow the progress of some stuff over there too for a change...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Interesting how I hear Gatineau getting some kudos lately from the Ottawa side (both here and elsewhere).

Maybe our city actually is doing some things right, or maybe people across the river are just depressed with the goings-on in theirs (especially their council)...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:45 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting how I hear Gatineau getting some kudos lately from the Ottawa side (both here and elsewhere).

Maybe our city actually is doing some things right, or maybe people across the river are just depressed with the goings-on in theirs (especially their council)...
For me, it's a bit of column A, and a bit of column B. (although one thing I don't think Gatineau is getting right is BRT instead of LRT)

That said, I feel that everyone on both sides of the river needs to recognize that we are one city, and shouldn't let a provincial border hinder pride of and excitement for the improvement & development of both sides of the river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa